Vitamins

weaura

I've been looking at the Vitalady website and was shocked to see the price for a 90 day supply of vites /minerals is about $350. I'm wondering if anyone has had these covered by insurance? I realize these are absolutely necessary. I noticed there was a place on her site for a promo code when ordering. How would I obtain a promo code? Has anyone bought these on their own from Bio-tech and Costco? If so was it any less pricey? Of course the convenience of just buying them online from one place is not something to just dismiss.

I've been looking at the Vitalady website and was shocked to see the price for a 90 day supply of vites /minerals is about $350. I'm wondering if anyone has had these covered by insurance? I realize these are absolutely necessary. I noticed there was a place on her site for a promo code when ordering. How would I obtain a promo code? Has anyone bought these on their own from Bio-tech and Costco? If so was it any less pricey? Of course the convenience of just buying them online from one place is not something to just dismiss.
That is for the entire list, portioned out for each time frame so there are labor costs involved as well.

What my husband and I did was just buy what was on the list in individual BOTTLES and sorted it ourselves. That also means you do not need to purchase what you don't need. Example, neither my husband or I need A or E (yet at 4.5 years out) so buying the prepacks would mean the A & E would be tossed away. By buying the bottles, we just don't buy the A & E.

Most vitamins are OTC by insurance companies even for those who need them because of a compromised gut. A few MIGHT be covered such as iron, Vit D (which as a prescription is WORTHLESS).

Like @southernlady I buy just what I need and spend far less than you are seeing. I also buy multivits locally (Costco) and zinc wherever it's on sale. Many people also get their calcium citrate at Costco, I don't just because I have trouble with large pills. But as long as you check the label to make sure you are buying the right product (i.e. not the calcium carbonate) and know that a "dose" is 2 pills, not one, you can save money there.
I do take A, but not E. I have yet to hear of anyone with Vitamin E deficiency. Some people need copper, most don't. You get the idea. You will need to spend some money for your vitamins, and they won't be covered by insurance, but you don't need to spend excessively.

PS the reason prescription D won't work is that it's packabed in oil. Since we absorb so little fat, and oil is fat, that formulation doesn't work for us. You need the "dry" form, which you will have to pay for, but there is no point in taking stuff that doesn't work. When people do this, they are just fooling themselves into thinking they are doing things right, until their labs come back with D deficiency.

I buy almost all of my vitamins at Costco. I started off with samples they gave me at the hospital (Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chews, Celebrate Multis) and when those ran out, they were so expensive to replace that I looked elsewhere. Even after factoring in the cost of the Costco membership, I was at an advantage to get my vitamins there - except for the dry D3. I order that off of Amazon.

Because everyone is different, you need to be able to tweak your vites as needed. For instance, several people here don't need a B supplement, but I have to have a B12 injection every other week (this is a prescription). I also have to take a special Triple Omega supplement for my skin and most don't need to do that.

So far, the only ones we buy at Costco (based on our labs) are the Kirkland Daily Multi, the Citracal, Vit C, B12 (my husband needs this one). And that is all we have found that is the right kind AND amount.

I get these at Costco:

Probiotic
Biotin
Citracal
Elemental Iron
Triple Omega
Super B Complex

I am still waiting for my comprehensive labs to come back to see if anything else needs to be tweaked.

I forgot our Probiotic.
Didn't know they carried an Elemental Iron...have to look next time we are there.
As to the Biotin, Omega, and B Complex...we don't use those.

I buy everything but my multi, zinc and calcium citrate from Amazon and don't pay anywhere near that amount.

I buy at Vitamin Shoppe, BJs and Amazon. I used to buy some from Vitalady but haven't while the change of ownership was going on. I, too, buy only what I need. That's determined by my DS nutrit. and my bloods.

If you have a health care spending account and a letter from your doctor stating that the vitamins are a medical necessity then you can at least use that pre-tax money.
Also, my insurance pays for a prenatal MVI with iron from my doc. i actually stopped taking it because it was huge and now take a chewable from amazon and the tender iron from vitalady.
Think about how much less you are spending on food and then the money doesn't seem like so much (at least to me).

If you have a health care spending account and a letter from your doctor stating that the vitamins are a medical necessity then you can at least use that pre-tax money.
Also, my insurance pays for a prenatal MVI with iron from my doc. i actually stopped taking it because it was huge and now take a chewable from amazon and the tender iron from vitalady.
Think about how much less you are spending on food and then the money doesn't seem like so much (at least to me).
That's a very good point!

This is a starting place. Yes, it's expensive but you pay for the convenience.

I buy most of mine from Puritan when they have sales and I portion them out myself. I probably spend @ $500 per year on vites.

Latest posts

Back