Update after surgery on 4/6/16

I agree with what Larra said and I was tired, groggy and grumpy when I replied last night so my apologies if I came across harshly. Regarding diet Larra is spot on (as always). As well as you are doing with liquids I would imagine he might let you advance diet a little more quickly.

I still can't understand how after putting a body through so much trauma you only spent one night in the hospital, especially when you weren't urinating or passing gas. My surgeons (Marshall and Keshishian both) would not allow a patient to leave until they passed gas and had a BM. That is why I was surprised. As a nurse you know what to look for, but I also know that nurses "under react" to their own situations at time (My Mom was an RN) so if you have any warning signs you know to contact your surgeon's office or get to the ER>

That being said, you seem to be doing great. I had huge difficulty staying hydrated and for a couple months, so you are miles ahead of me in that regard

Again being a nurse I know how many of you will "tough things out" and maybe push too hard. How long do you plan on being off work? Take as long as you need as your body just underwent major trauma and your energy will be down due to lack of nutrition. Some have gone back as quickly as a few weeks if they had desk jobs like me, but I ended up being out almost 6 weeks (but I had a kidney stone that put me in the hospital for 3 days as Dr though I had a marginal ulcer.....the did a procedure to get it out and pushed it back in my kidney, so I got a stent for 10 days)......in any case take care of yourself and take the time you need to heal.

Congratulations
As a nurse I did think this is definitely odd for me as well - but his reasoning is that people heal better in their own home. I generally understand that. You don't sleep well (if at all) in the hospitals - someone is always poking and prodding you and thus your healing process is being slowed down. I had to wait over and hour for a nurse to come in after pushing the call light various times and being a nurse I wanted OUT of there. I will literally only stay in a hospital if ABSOLUTELY need be. People really have a skewed idea of what qualifies them for being in the hospital, so in this case - I felt like it was 100% necessary for be to be there for at least one night but by the second night - although I was in rough shape, I wanted to get out! I finally was able to heal and I was getting liquids down with no problem. Obviously, if you're having trouble getting liquids down - then by all means - stay in the hospital for sure.

I am not working currently related to previous back/hip/knee injuries - so I have as long as I need to heal :)

Thanks for your support and comments!

PS - Those are his POST OP diet instructions for EVERY patient.... NOT specifically for me! I forgot to post that. So I definitely just think he's being overly cautious and like I told everyone else... I think tonight I'm going to try to drink a Premade, Premier Protein shake from he carton and see how that goes. I'm sure I'll do great. I'm Post OP day 5 and STARVING so I'm hoping this is my body's way of saying "Feed me girl!" HAHA

As a nurse I did think this is definitely odd for me as well - but his reasoning is that people heal better in their own home. I generally understand that. You don't sleep well (if at all) in the hospitals - someone is always poking and prodding you and thus your healing process is being slowed down. I had to wait over and hour for a nurse to come in after pushing the call light various times and being a nurse I wanted OUT of there. I will literally only stay in a hospital if ABSOLUTELY need be. People really have a skewed idea of what qualifies them for being in the hospital, so in this case - I felt like it was 100% necessary for be to be there for at least one night but by the second night - although I was in rough shape, I wanted to get out! I finally was able to heal and I was getting liquids down with no problem. Obviously, if you're having trouble getting liquids down - then by all means - stay in the hospital for sure.

I am not working currently related to previous back/hip/knee injuries - so I have as long as I need to heal :)

Thanks for your support and comments!

PS - Those are his POST OP diet instructions for EVERY patient.... NOT specifically for me! I forgot to post that. So I definitely just think he's being overly cautious and like I told everyone else... I think tonight I'm going to try to drink a Premade, Premier Protein shake from he carton and see how that goes. I'm sure I'll do great. I'm Post OP day 5 and STARVING so I'm hoping this is my body's way of saying "Feed me girl!" HAHA
Yeah it is hard to sleep in a hospital but that is what Dialaudid is for, and I like Dialaudid. :p

I really do understand what you are saying.

Latest posts

Back