triglycerides and cholesterol...and malnourishment ye wall of txt

kirmy

Important DS 101...fat is your bestest friend. My shit got weird when I wasn't too arsed about eating as much fat as I could. Before my DS I had a hefty and dangerous 6.25mmol/lt total cholesterol level (I'm in a civilized country people where we measure things in a proper way not your strange American moon measurements). My doctor strongly advised me to stop being a fat bastard. I accordingly went and got a Ds and scared the shit out of said doctor who is still convinced I'm going to drop dead....bless!
Anyhoo...fat! After my DS I struggled to eat due to acid spewing forth no matter what. I also didn't want to eat due to massive ketosis so kind of ended up in a feedback loop. This fuckery persisted for the first 6 months. I ate my own body from the inside out and ended up with no muscle mass and a new and exciting skin condition call granuloma annularae which effectively looks like a heap of ringworms all up my arms and my legs. Just what you want off a registered nurse caring for your ill.
Soon my brain started to get well...foggy. Ok with the DS you burn up so much stored fat that you end up an oestrogen maniac anyway but added to this was a loss of memory and irritability that caused me to pen several apology letters to shop keepers and various service personnel. I was a nutter. I forgot stuff...like lots of stuff. Soon I forgot how to learn new stuff and got pretty scared. I got angry, weird and sad. I got skinny. I got ring wormy.
My bloods came back with a total cholesterol of 1.2mmol/lt. Now as far as I'm concerned that is not sufficiently life sustaining. No wonder my skin cells couldn't reproduce effectively, no wonder my synaptic terminals wouldn't fire correctly and I was a walking mood disorder. I had nothing left to burn. All the fat that is used in cellular regeneration and repair was firing out my arse.
I started to eat more fat than you could poke a pork chop at and lo and behold my ring wormys went away almost overnight, my brain fog lifted and my mood started to stabilise. Ahhhhhh I seeeeeeeee!
What I now know: malnutrition isn't just low protein, vitamin B's, C's,A's and E's..they can be normal but you can still be malnourished. I was. I now eat up to 200g of fat per day..yup...that's a long of oil! Skoosh olive oil on everything! Stuff butter into everything you eat and meat fat...that is the prize.
My cholesterol now sits at a happy 3.4mmol/lt (total). My good cholesterol HDL is measuring to the highest end of the range. There actually was a warning on my last bloods (warning exceeds high range cut off). My LDL (nasty arsed artery cloggy mofo) is a pitiful 1.1 mmol/lt. It is a thing of beauty!
Now to mix it up and keep me neurotic as a cat in a bag I decided to test my triglycerides on the meter we have at work. Triglycerides store unused calories and provide your body with energy. Because triglycerides and cholesterol can't dissolve in blood, they circulate throughout your body with the help of proteins that transport the lipids (lipoproteins). Mine are so low they can't be read. This has me twitchy and wondering if my protein may also be tanking. Obviously I've not been getting enough fat since coming offshore this trip. I'm going to have to travel with UHT cream in my luggage from now on to supplement. FECK! I’m eating so much meat each day that my shit should come out in its own sausage casing.
Oh malabsorbtion fuckery! The moral of DS 101 is to WATCH YOUR FAT! I mean watch it as you eat it and if you think you’re eating too much then I’d increase that by 25% because you’re probably not. Now I’m going to love my first world problem for a while by eating half a block of cheddar cheese because I have to. It’s a medical necessity…and I love that.
It is a suck it and see situation people which is why morons shouldn’t have it. Pity so many still do though….

Latest posts

Back