Total carbs vs net carbs?

star0210

What are your thoughts of total carbs vs net carbs? My hubby and I were talking about this and I said I've always counted total carbs...he said it makes sense to him to count net carbs because you don't absorb any of the fiber...supposedly it passes right through you.

I have never understood the net carbs business. Just because a food contains fiber (which is a good thing) doesn't mean the calories it contains don't count. I think this is yet another one of those dietary ideas that will fade with time.

I only pay attention to total carbs, I have see people gain with net carbs undercounting

I do net carbs, but I'm also skeptical about it. If we don't absorb fiber or sugar alcohols, then why fuss over them? But at the same time, I don't always believe all nutritional labels. I read a while ago (and I don't remember the source, so I don't know how reliable the info was) that fiber isn't actually a carbohydrate. But it's also not fat or protein and the food people (I guess the FDA?) need to quantify things in those 3 categories so it gets added to the carb count. I believe the EU and AUS have them automatically deducted from total carb counts on all food labels.

I count all carbs but, I don't stay under 50 grams per day either. I think the recommendation of: subtract half the fiber gams from the carbohydrate grams only if there is over 5 grams of fiber per serving is too much work and too rare of a food find.

To me, carbs is carbs. It's just a lucky break for me if some of them can't be absorbed.

And seriously, the only GOOD carb is one you don't eat.

I wish they would stop the sale on Russell Stover's sf chocolates for a buck a bag.

Latest posts

Back