Too much fun with veggies... :-(

Spiky Bugger

That is one side effect I still have trouble with.

Lunch at the senior center yesterday included a broccoli salad (my first time with that) and some carrots...along with the pulled pork, French fries, jello and a banana, and NO, I did not eat and of the bread roll nor ALL of anything except the pork. And dinner was out...prime rib starting with broccoli cheddar soup or Greek Salad. I went for the salad...lettuce, tomato, feta cheese, cukes, olives and other wonderful, delicious things things.

In my day, we called it "roughage." I think they say "fiber" now. But DH called me the Magical Disappearing-Reappearing Bed Partner and I'm on Immodium and I'm still poopin' my guts out...so I'm voting for "roughage," because this IS rough.

Last edited:
Poor you. I'd suspect the broccoli if it were just gas, but diarrhea?? It's odd the stuff that can catch us out.

I hope you have a better night tonight.

It is hard to break the habits/tastes/beliefs that were inculcated into us as fat people - that all veggies, and especially leafy greens and crucifers, are GOOD for you, and you get bonus diet points for eating them. We may have even learned to like these these foods. Post-DS, it feels even better to eat them coated in the previously forbidden accoutrements like full fat salad dressing and cheese sauce, ad lib. I know I feel that way. And yet, what are to me the yummiest AND healthiest foods like spinach salad, creamed spinach, broccoli with cheese sauce or in broccoli cheese soup or in a salad, as well as lettuce drenched in thousand island dressing, almost always cause me some of gut distress.

And I eat them anyway, and inevitably feel like I'm being good WHILE I'm eating them, and refuse to acknowledge what might follow (unless I'm getting on a plane the next day - fear of THAT reality penetrates my fog of denial the day before a trip).

It is hard to break the habits/tastes/beliefs that were inculcated into us as fat people - that all veggies, and especially leafy greens and crucifers, are GOOD for you, and you get bonus diet points for eating them. We may have even learned to like these these foods. Post-DS, it feels even better to eat them coated in the previously forbidden accoutrements like full fat salad dressing and cheese sauce, ad lib. I know I feel that way. And yet, what are to me the yummiest AND healthiest foods like spinach salad, creamed spinach, broccoli with cheese sauce or in broccoli cheese soup or in a salad, as well as lettuce drenched in thousand island dressing, almost always cause me some of gut distress.

And I eat them anyway, and inevitably feel like I'm being good WHILE I'm eating them, and refuse to acknowledge what might follow (unless I'm getting on a plane the next day - fear of THAT reality penetrates my fog of denial the day before a trip).

Exactly...EX.ACT..LY...and yeah, just like that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE broccoli swimming in melted velveeta

I know that eating more fiber/roughage than you are used to - even for a non-op - is asking for at least gas and bloating and maybe other upset.

meaning, if you are going to eat it consider very small portions at first.

if only we could harness that gas to power our cars or something...

I have been eating both broccoli and cauliflower pretty often, really a little of almost all veggies, no diarrhea. I have gas in the evening, every evening, no matter what I eat. Kale, as you know, cleans me right out but, no diarrhea. I don't eat a lot of the veggies and haven't tried lettuce or spinach yet. Kale chips, different story!

My response to these foods did not develop overnight, though. I think I was quite a ways out when I really developed some of these issues.

Lol...Velveeta ingredients:
Milk, water, milkfat, whey, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate; contains less than 2% of: salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, enzymes, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), and cheese culture.[4]
Yeah! You just can't fool around with chemical perfection. I LOVE this stuff.... It was the Saturday lunch when I was growing up. Macaroni and cheese!

Yeah! You just can't fool around with chemical perfection. I LOVE this stuff.... It was the Saturday lunch when I was growing up. Macaroni and cheese!
I beg your pardon, there IS no cheese in Velveeta.

And besides Velveeta and other "cheese foods," I avoid foods that are verbs...such as anything that is a Whip, a Drink, a Mix, etc.

Picky, picky me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE broccoli swimming in melted velveeta
You need to upgrade to real cheese!!!

Or use what we use:
Soften 1 stick of butter
1 cup of mayo
Mix
Use as a topping for broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, we've even used it on butter beans!

Latest posts

Back