Three weeks out - full report!

Marquis Mark

Hi All,

I’m almost three weeks out and thought I’d give an update/report.

So far, on balance, my DS experience has been very good. No pain, nausea, vomiting. Just hunger-strike like energy levels. But I’m getting 2% better every day and am optimistic I’ll be able to go back to work (part-time) on the 11th.

My surgery (Dec. 10) with Dr. Belzberg at Kaiser Harbor City (30 minutes south of LA) took four hours. Due to a complication, they had to open me up. I’ve attached the 3-page surgical report in case you’re interested. They let me stay in the hospital for six days after that. Probably could have gone home after four, but, since it was the holidays, they were in no rush to get rid of me and I was in no rush to leave. Nurses were awesome. It’s nice to have 24 hour attention for as long as you can get it!

I had a traditional Hess. MY SB was 640. MY CC was 85-90. AL 260.

After 10 days of clear liquids, I was able to add some purred food. Though, even today (21 days later) it feels like it tends to sit in the stomach a long time before it eventually clears. Wonder if my stomach is actually churning anything? My resleeve was only a “trim.” Dr. Belzberg only removed the ample excess fundus (2 staple fires) the rest of my stomach (including somewhat enlarged antrum) was left untouched. He believes full resleeves are not a good idea and while he acknowledges some doctors do them, he doesn’t want to be one of them. Regardless, I can clearly feel the new level of restriction. I’ve attached a barium swallow of my pre-resleeve stomach so you can get an idea of how large the fundus was.

I started using vitamin patches as soon as I got home. Don’t know if they work, but won’t hurt. At about 9 days I was able to start chewable multi, iron and calcium and B-12. In a few days, I’ll try one dry D capsule and see how it goes. If there are no problems, I’ll add the dry A and K capsules. Then, in another week, I’ll try adding a few more supplements, etc.

About seven weeks before surgery, I had a full battery of lab tests. Everything was good except my iron, calcium and D were a little low. I immediately started taking high doses of those and had them retested a couple of days before surgery. Luckily, I was able to get all of those into normal range (despite donating blood after the first test, which I didn’t realize lowers your iron level by about 250 mg). I also took in at least 150 grams of protein a day in order to build my stores and promote healing. Since coming home, I’ve been able to get in about 60-70 grams a day through Greek yogurt, split pea soup, mashed beans, cottage cheese and protein shakes. Can’t do more than one shake a day right now.

I partially attribute my rapid recovery to getting my vitamins and protein stores up before surgery. That, and I was in fairly good shape for someone 100 pounds overweight. I normally walk to work 4miles RT/day.

I’ve had a few gas episodes. Now I finally know how to describe “the smell”: rotten eggs. But overall, they don’t smell too much worse. Plus, hey, as a dude, I sort of enjoy ‘em! Had diarrhea for the first week, but have been solid, verging on constipation ever since.

Emotionally, I feel optimistic. I’m down 25 pounds and already have two huge boxes of clothing for the Goodwill. Before surgery I was a 42 waist. I was able to give all of those AND the 40s away, too. I’m wearing 38s right now. Dusting off my 36s.

There’s still a part of me that wishes I never had to do this. There’s something about messing with nature’s design that makes me uncomfortable. Despite mostly good reports, I still worry that going the full monty (the DS) could cause problems down the road (obstructions, anemia, or, worse, unforeseen consequences), but this was, I felt, my best option right now. And, if the magic pill ever comes out, I can always get it reversed.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Thanks again to all for your invaluable support!

MM

Attachments

• DS Surgical Report.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150918_152603_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_20150918_152603_Fotor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Glad you are feeling better and it sounds like you are off to a great start!

Sounds like you are doing great. Just take it easy and find out if a stool is an option when you return to teaching. (At least for a few weeks).

It sounds like you're doing great.
Different people have very different experiences as far as the energy level goes. It took me a very long time to get my energy back, which surprised me as I had been leading an active life pre-op. You just never know. The important thing isn't the first few weeks, it's the long term, and I think you will do very well.

I'm glad to hear things are going well. Isn't it great to be able to wear the smaller sizes again? I'm going through that right now and it's FUN!! :D

As for those bathroom smells... I have yet to categorize my own special brand of stench. Rotten eggs would be an improvement! ;)

If you weren't warned, be particular about the lifting restriction with an open incision (even if it isn't all that big) - an incisional hernia can possibly get you a tummy tuck later, but you will have to live with it for a long time before that happens.

If you weren't warned, be particular about the lifting restriction with an open incision (even if it isn't all that big) - an incisional hernia can possibly get you a tummy tuck later, but you will have to live with it for a long time before that happens.

Definitely being careful. Dr. Belzberg said not to lift anything over 10 pounds for six weeks. It's cool. I love asking my son and dainty GF to lug stuff around for me.

Latest posts

Back