This is it!

I hope you're feeling better by now! Do speak up and keep on speaking up as long as necessary.
The trend these days is to minimize use of pain meds post-op because of our country's ongoing epidemic of opioid and other drug overdoses and deaths. A lot of people who were never addicted get their start when they take narcotics post-op. It seems like we can't reach the happy medium where people get enough meds to get them through the very real pain of surgery but not so much as to become addicted, so right not we've swung to undermedicating people. I'm very sorry this has happened to you.

Oh, your experience sounds far more awful than it ever should be. I'm sorry you are going through such pain--the nurses sound like they could certainly be a bit more empathetic and helpful. I hope by the time you read this that you are feeling better and they've got your pain managed. I agree with @Larra that you should speak up and keep speaking up--you have to be your own advocate sometimes. Sending hugs and thoughts for rapid healing and relief!

I'm so sorry you're hurting. If the nurses won't give you enough, have your husband INSIST on speaking with the doctor or charge nurse. You should not be in such pain that you are in tears.

I hope you're feeling better by now! Do speak up and keep on speaking up as long as necessary.
The trend these days is to minimize use of pain meds post-op because of our country's ongoing epidemic of opioid and other drug overdoses and deaths. A lot of people who were never addicted get their start when they take narcotics post-op. It seems like we can't reach the happy medium where people get enough meds to get them through the very real pain of surgery but not so much as to become addicted, so right not we've swung to undermedicating people. I'm very sorry this has happened to you.

I HATE bothering people and your right, the medical staff is so fearful of addiction. It's got me so nervous to ask for more pain meds. I don't want anyone to think I'm drug seeking.
I did speak up tho. The night nurse finally got in touch with the surgeon and he ordered me toradol and Tylenol every 6 hours. That of course wears off in 3, and the dilaudid wears off in 1. I just can't seem to get things under control. It even hurts to take deep breaths So I find myself holding my breath, and then my o2 stat drops.
I'm currently waiting for the surgeon to do his rounds. Until then I'm stuck in pain and on ice only.
I'm normally an extremely tolerant and accommodating patient, but I'm finding myself very grumpy and short with people.

I'm so sorry you're hurting. If the nurses won't give you enough, have your husband INSIST on speaking with the doctor or charge nurse. You should not be in such pain that you are in tears.

He has tried but until the Dr gives a diff order they won't do anything. I'm so fed up with all this. I wish I were home. At least being in pain at home I can cry without feeling guilty lol

Oh, your experience sounds far more awful than it ever should be. I'm sorry you are going through such pain--the nurses sound like they could certainly be a bit more empathetic and helpful. I hope by the time you read this that you are feeling better and they've got your pain managed. I agree with @Larra that you should speak up and keep speaking up--you have to be your own advocate sometimes. Sending hugs and thoughts for rapid healing and relief!
Thank u for the hugs and thoughts. I could sure use them. I hate being the problem patient but i am letting them know. Hoping things will improve soon.

He has tried but until the Dr gives a diff order they won't do anything. I'm so fed up with all this. I wish I were home. At least being in pain at home I can cry without feeling guilty lol
Then get a ombudsman involved. You need adequate pain control and less than that is not acceptable. Make waves (and have your husband make waves).

While some pain is normal, pain that has you in tears IS NOT.

Then get a ombudsman involved. You need adequate pain control and less than that is not acceptable. Make waves (and have your husband make waves).

While some pain is normal, pain that has you in tears IS NOT.

What's an ombudsman? The surgeon finally came to see me at 10pm last night and ordered a pain pump. Omg talk about a world of difference. It's funny tho, I don't seem to be using more, but the fact I can hit the button as soon as the pain starts makes a huge difference. Plus I was able to get some good sleep. Im still in pain of course, but i feel so much more like myself. Thank you, and everyone else for being here for me.

What's an ombudsman? The surgeon finally came to see me at 10pm last night and ordered a pain pump. Omg talk about a world of difference. It's funny tho, I don't seem to be using more, but the fact I can hit the button as soon as the pain starts makes a huge difference. Plus I was able to get some good sleep. Im still in pain of course, but i feel so much more like myself. Thank you, and everyone else for being here for me.

Glad to see this update! Now that your pain is better managed, get the rest and let the DS work begin. Keep us posted.

Glad to see you getting on top of the pain.

An ombudsman is also known as a patient advocate.

So glad you're feeling better!
And when all this is behind you, you might mention to your surgeon that the pain pump should be in his routine post-op orders, so other people don't have to go through what you went through.

So glad you're feeling better!
And when all this is behind you, you might mention to your surgeon that the pain pump should be in his routine post-op orders, so other people don't have to go through what you went through.

Great idea, I'm a little upset with him tho. Saw the surgeon early this morning and I gotta say, I'm NOT happy with him. When we made the plan he was gonna remove the gallbladder because my Dr wanted it done, and he was gonna do the full ds, including resleeve. But when I talked to him today he said he didn't take the gallbladder and he did not resleeve. His reasoning was that it would have taken longer (duh!), and the sleeve looked ok and since a first step ds usually has a bigger sleeve he didn't want to resleeve. Of course this freaks me out. For 1, my gastroenterologist said my stomach looked normal size. And after a barium swallow my surgeon even said it was significantly enlarged. 2nd...I was relying on the swollen stomach to keep me on track at first. As I'm sure u know, not touching it means I can eat normal. what if I fail epically??

Great idea, I'm a little upset with him tho. Saw the surgeon early this morning and I gotta say, I'm NOT happy with him. When we made the plan he was gonna remove the gallbladder because my Dr wanted it done, and he was gonna do the full ds, including resleeve. But when I talked to him today he said he didn't take the gallbladder and he did not resleeve. His reasoning was that it would have taken longer (duh!), and the sleeve looked ok and since a first step ds usually has a bigger sleeve he didn't want to resleeve. Of course this freaks me out. For 1, my gastroenterologist said my stomach looked normal size. And after a barium swallow my surgeon even said it was significantly enlarged. 2nd...I was relying on the swollen stomach to keep me on track at first. As I'm sure u know, not touching it means I can eat normal. what if I fail epically??
It's not the sleeve that keeps the weight off. It's the malabsorption. Having a bigger sleeve is actually a help. You can eat more protein and fat that way. And far less chance of dealing with reflux. Those of us with tiny sleeves have to work hard at getting in enough protein and many of us are on lifetime PPI's due to a tiny sleeve.

Now I would be upset about not having the gall bladder removed when they said they would.

Latest posts

Back