Thinking about RNY to DS

I talked with office staff from Kemmeter's office today and she was not sure that he did the RNY to DS revision. She told me that she went to ask him and was surprised to learn that he did the RNY to DS revision. This did not inspire confidence. She asked me lots of questions about my previous surgery/surgeon, but could not answer any of my questions. She told me that I would need to attend the free 45 WLS seminar and schedule a consult for $250 in order for me to get any more information. I crossed him off my list. I'm not driving 4.5 hours and paying $250 to get some basic questions answered. He might be fine for someone who lives in the area and does not mind jumping through hoops for information.

I talked with office staff from Kemmeter's office today and she was not sure that he did the RNY to DS revision. She told me that she went to ask him and was surprised to learn that he did the RNY to DS revision.
Actually the office staff at my surgeon's is clueless as well. But I asked mine's office manager who put me in touch with his nurse who gave me the particulars. As a result of my exploring it, he is on the RNY to DS list.

I do not think it is unreasonable to pay for an office visit with a Dr. I was charged to see Dr. Keshishian which was covered by Insurance . The flight to see him however was not.

I do not think it is unreasonable to pay for an office visit with a Dr. I was charged to see Dr. Keshishian which was covered by Insurance . The flight to see him however was not.

I agree, of course a doc should charge for an office visit. That was not my point. My frustration was that in order to have any of my questions answered regarding self-pay costs, testing, scheduling, etc. I needed to pay for a visit.

@Settledownnow I agree with you. Office staff should be able to answer questions about self-pay options if any, tests, etc etc. Of course all the medical stuff needs to be discussed with the surgeon at a consultation, but if there is no hope that he's the right surgeon for you, there is no point in arranging a consultation.
Try again - ask to speak with the office manager. Make it very clear that you are not seeking medical information over the phone. If you've already done all this, I have nothing to suggest. But it would be a shame to rule out the closest surgeon if he would be suitable for you, esp since he does have a good reputation.

That's what I'm doing. Dr. Rabkin. My surgery is on August 7 th. Coming from CT. Stressing now, should be packing though.
Dana
I had lap RNY in 2003 and am thinking about revision surgery to DS. I originally lost 80 pounds and within 4 years regained 45 (current BMI 42). I go back and forth about whether or not it would be worth the risk for more surgery. My greatest fear is that I will go from a situation that is "not so great" to one that is far worse. Not so great means ulcer (now healed), acid reflux, vit/min deficiencies (now fixed) and regular visits with the hemo for iron infusions. I have major regrets about RNY.

I have been back on the diet bandwagon for a few years and am caught in the diet trap of trying to find the "right" diet despite having RNY. I battle the same 10 pounds. I joined weight watchers and faithfully followed the diet and gained. So let's add in "big RNY failure" to the "not so great list".

Is life better after a revision to DS? Any regrets? My fear is that I bought into all of the happy-ever-after RNY post-op stories and what I am reading on all of the boards are also DS happy stories. I know my RNY surgeon boosts about his success with patients, but how many patients does he really follow? He hasn't seen me.

I have taken steps and contacted both Drs. Keshishian and Rabkian. I would be self-pay and cashing out my 401k for the surgery. It is a pretty deal to me and my fear is that it would be a major regret in the long run.

Any revision regrets? Is it worth it?

Sorry if I missed your point. Dr.Keshisians office had no problem discussing cost same as Rabkin unfortunately, for me, the whole insurance thing muddled it up a bit. Not surprising there. Maybe that will not be an issue for a self pay.

Sorry if I missed your point. Dr.Keshisians office had no problem discussing cost same as Rabkin unfortunately, for me, the whole insurance thing muddled it up a bit. Not surprising there. Maybe that will not be an issue for a self pay.
As you know very well Whit, Dr K goes out of his way to answer questions and Kristina is great too (he handles the medical stuff and she takes care of the rest).

Yes @DSRIGGS i knew exactly what I would be Out Of Pocket. Love Kristina. With Dr Rabkin it was not as clear only because he does not take insurance and they could not really tell me what insurance would cover. They could tell me what I would have to pay the Dr and that there would be a portion insurance would refund. I was so overwhelmed at the time I chose to fly down to have Dr K preform my revision instead of staying close to home. As it turns out it was the best choice for me as I was in the hospital for 3 weeks all covered by insurance.

Yes @DSRIGGS i knew exactly what I would be Out Of Pocket. Love Kristina. With Dr Rabkin it was not as clear only because he does not take insurance and they could not really tell me what insurance would cover. They could tell me what I would have to pay the Dr and that there would be a portion insurance would refund. I was so overwhelmed at the time I chose to fly down to have Dr K preform my revision instead of staying close to home. As it turns out it was the best choice for me as I was in the hospital for 3 weeks all covered by insurance.
@Whit Yep, everything about Dr K and his practice is awesome. We had some really deep and interesting conversations when we are out for Cameron's surgery. He is such an amazingly talented guy who is incredibly giving of his time, and is so nice as well as humble. He is definitely the type of guy one would enjoy sitting down with to have a drink or share a meal.

I noticed some people announce their revision decision and surgery date, so I will "announce" mine too (before I change my mind again). I have decided no RNY revision -- for the moment. I'm going to take a serious and honest look at my eating and exercise, track, and see how things shake out. I just can't get to the revision decision -- right now.

Does this mean I have to leave all of you fine people? :confused: I hope not! The postings here have been really helpful and I can see that I do need some type of peer support for this "lifestyle" (blech, hate that word). :D

Last edited:
I noticed some people announcement their revision decisions and surgery date, so I will "announce" mine too (before I change my mind again). I have decided no RNY revision -- for the moment. I'm going to take a serious and honest look at my eating and exercise, track, and see how things shake out. I just can't get to the revision decision -- right now.

Does this mean I have to leave all of you fine people? :confused: I hope not! The postings here have been really helpful and I can see that I do need some type of peer support for this "lifestyle" (blech, hate that word). :D
I am not a moderator but this is a Bariatric support site for those with WLS which you have. But like I said Im not a moderator...

I noticed some people announcement their revision decisions and surgery date, so I will "announce" mine too (before I change my mind again). I have decided no RNY revision -- for the moment. I'm going to take a serious and honest look at my eating and exercise, track, and see how things shake out. I just can't get to the revision decision -- right now.

Well, I AM an admin and I happen to agree with @Whit. This forum is for ALL surgeries. We just happen to have a large DS crowd who is very vocal.

Thanks, ladies! I find the information and support really, really helpful in adjusting my attitude.

One thing that swayed me against the RNY to DS revision for right now is that my pre-albumin always tests low. I eat protein, but not tons of it because of the discomfort it causes in my pouch. I have not logged my food in ages because I always *knew* my protein intake was 100 gm+ because even 12 years out I drink 1-2 protein drinks per day. When I log I see that my protein is around 50-60 grams even with one protein drink, not 100+ grams as I thought. I need to log for awhile to see what I am really eating!

Latest posts

Back