The DS will cause constant diarrhea?

Spiky Bugger

Well, for YEARS now, I've been arguing with people who make this claim. I recently commented on this, but I think it's worth another mention.

So, I am about 8.5 years post-op for the Duodenal Switch. Do I have constant diarrhea?

No...

Yes...

It depends on what "is" is...thank you, Mr. Clinton.

Here's the deal...there are otherwise intelligent doctors who, because one definition of diarrhea is having three or more bowel movements per day, will insist that three poop events--even if the stool is normal, formed, just-like-always poop--constitutes diarrhea. And then there are REASONABLE doctors who make the diarrhea diagnosis based on consistency. Loose, watery stool constitutes diarrhea.

Next time someone tells you that DS patients have constant diarrhea, let them know that their claim is true if, and only if, they believe that two normal BMs in a day is normal, but three normal BMs means you have diarrhea.

lol @ poop "event".

you count me and my dogs - and I have to pay attention since one of them is a poop eater - I have about 8 poop events a day minimum. and spend way too much time worrying about consistency since Fritz ended up in the hospital not too long ago from "just" diarrhea.

and don't get me started about the events at work with all their variety.

sorry for the hijack.

what brings this up, Ms Bugger?
(never mind, I see the bidet post)

Last edited:
I have had constant diarrhea since surgery. Almost six years later I'm desperate enough to change my diet. So I've been told that is the cause. I've not been a great example of this surgery (DS)other than the weight has stayed off. Because of the constant loose stools I have developed severe (butt pain) outside and in. :(. Unbearable at times. Please help inform me of what I can do different. I've since taken 95% of the carbs out of my diet since last Saturday and 90% sugar. Hopefully more each day. Help!

I found that having lots of iron and calcium supplements really firmed things up for me. I take 500mg calcium citrate 8 times a day and I have to use a stool softener in order to go.

Someone please give Yiayia the info for the elimination diet to figure out what her problem foods are.

Are you taking probiotics? Have you had your poop tested for C. diff or other bacterial overgrowth? Have you done a round of Flagyl? How much calcium (and what kind?) are you taking? Are you taking magnesium with your calcium? What kind? How much dairy are you eating? What kind? How much fat are you eating? Are you eating ANYTHING with sugar alcohols in it? Maltitol, sorbitol, erythritol, etc.?

There are dozens and dozens of easily fixable reasons for having diarrhea. You need to work through and eliminate the usual suspects first.

Latest posts

Back