Thank you for the what you need to know about surgery thread

jerseygirl69

It was enough to kick me in the arse and get me moving on my diet and not pursue surgery. Not at this time. Totally don't feel it's right for me. Going back to what worked in the past. If that doesn't work, I will reassess.

It was very helpful. Thank you.

Good luck to all you DSers. Look for me on the nonsurgery forum in the future.

I am only on Day 3 of LCHF, avoiding sugars and starches, but that's about when the habit becomes easier (in spite of staring at a candy jar of skittles on a coworker's desk). And now I have the fire underneath me of "it's this or go through THAT" based on the eye opener about surgery.

Sort of interesting, I've been having MAJOR trouble with energy, like never before. I basically can fall asleep at the drop of a hat (like this morning, filling up my car at the gas station, head back and asleep that second), do not wake feeling rested, take naps at work when no one's looking (either on my long commute I pull over, or I take lunch in the car and sleep). I told a coworker and she said that's how she was when her thyroid tanked (she gained 30lbs in a month). I used to get it checked every couple of years, but it's been 3 years since my last retest. I felt like it had tanked 3 years ago, but that was before the weight gain.

My first thought was sleep apnea, so I'm trying first with diet to see if it resolves the energy issue. But it's bad folks, real bad. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Sleep apnea can be fatal. I urge you whether you are going to pursue surgery or not to get a sleep study and get this diagnosed right away. I was two years away from being in a place where I even *thought* about having surgery when I had my sleep study and it made such a difference!

I appreciate the concern. Fully aware of the many implications of sleep apnea due to my professional work. My intent is if I can get the ball rolling via LCHF diet, the weight loss will minimize any apnea. (As said in prior posts, I gained a lot in the last three years 1 year-60 due to injury and then another 60 last 2 years that I attribute to o/e carbs.) It's only been in the last few months that I felt I might have some mild apnea.

Get your thyroid checked and a sleep study. Kate is spot on about sleep apnea. I felt so much better after starting on CPAP, plus it's a co-morbid that helps get surgery approved if you decide that's what you want.

It was enough to kick me in the arse and get me moving on my diet and not pursue surgery. Not at this time. Totally don't feel it's right for me. Going back to what worked in the past. If that doesn't work, I will reassess.

It was very helpful. Thank you.

Good luck to all you DSers. Look for me on the nonsurgery forum in the future.
Good luck...

We do have a section for non-surgery WL...and we would love to see it take off; http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/non-surgery-weight-loss.52/

Why not continue with your weight loss AND get tested for sleep apnea? The 2 aren't mutually exclusive, and if you do have sleep apnea, you will feel so much better with appropriate treatment, which can only help with your weight loss endeavors. not to mention the risks of damage to your heart and/or sudden death that you already know about. Why wait?

I hope the non-op weight loss works out for you. Having surgery is indeed scary and requires a lifetime commitment to protein intake and lots of vitamins and supplements. If you can regain your health without surgery great, and if not, you at least know where you stand and are ahead of the game on your surgery research.

Losing the weight does not always cure sleep apnea. I am 20 months out from my DS and currently at 116% EWL. After my latest sleep study, my apnea is not gone. My pressure on my CPAP has gone from 10 down to 5, but I still need it every night.
I am certain that my CPAP saved my life when I was MO, and continues to keep me healthier and AWAKE! Please have a sleep study no matter how you decide to lose weight.

Last edited:
@jerseygirl69, even skinny people can have sleep apnea. It's not just a disease of the obese. My husband lost 110% of his excess weight and still has sleep apnea. His settings are reduced but he still sleeps with a cpap machine at night.

@jerseygirl69, even skinny people can have sleep apnea. It's not just a disease of the obese. My husband lost 110% of his excess weight and still has sleep apnea. His settings are reduced but he still sleeps with a cpap machine at night.
My sister and her son have sleep apnea and neither is obese. Sister is a bit overweight, but not obese. Nephew is just right. There are several types of apnea and not all are the result of excess weight. Both are on CPAP and feeling much better.

This is deja-vu for me. When I had surgery my equally MO best friend threatened herself with the DS and actually scared herself into losing as much weight as I did. For a while, she was even doing better than me. She got down to about 160 and looked great. In the meanwhile I moved to Vegas and she came to visit a year later. She had gained it all back.

Moral of the story? If you get down to 160, work harder to maintain it than you did to lose in the first place!

I don't know anything about thyroid issues, but that's exactly how I felt every day as a result of severe sleep apnea. It also took a toll on my heart, giving me AFib and SVT. Surgery or no, get that checked out, it affected me in ways I didn't even realize as it got progressively worse.

I only brought up the apnea because this only started with the recent regain. I know it's not always tied into weight, but pretty certain it is for me.

Latest posts

Back