Surgery questions

Nothing mean about it! It's what I need to hear because every single time I've revisited WLS I always tell myself I can do this without surgery. And maybe because I have had some short-lived success while doing whatever it is, I beat myself up because I stopped doing whatever it was to have that success. Most recently I did a dietetics program where I tracked my macros (every.single.gram.of.food), checked in weekly with a coach and had a personal trainer who kicked my ass twice a week for an hour. I dropped my A1C without meds from 9 something to under 6. SUCCESS. Except after 18 months, I only lost 25-30 lbs. (started at 309.) Then I couldn't sustain it (financially and honestly, weighing and logging every bite of food = not super sustainable) plus I needed more weight loss, so I bailed and declined VERY rapidly over the past year. I gave up, again. So to jump in from that to a DS is a hard pill for me and I start thinking about how if I just stuck with that, keep tracking macros, get my butt back to the gym I won't need surgery. But even when I was doing it I felt like I was climbing that mountain against wind and rain and biology. I never felt solid and could actually feel my body fighting me at every turn, every meal, every workout. Eat. Stay fat. Feed me.
I now agree with you. You are another superabsorber. Welcome to the club you never wanted to join.

Life as a postop is going to be easy compared to this crap.

Another conversation with a surgeon's office trying to coordinate my next steps. This is basically the 4th person in my early part of this journey to try to scare me. I wish it didn't work. This was someone from the hospital system I work for, so I wanted to at least consult, but I told her I wasn't sure I wanted to waste their time since they don't do the surgery I'm leaning towards. Then followed a 10-minute scare lecture about how horrible the DS is and to be very careful because patients get really sick. I told her I had been researching off and on for 10 years and know how important it is to be diligent about vitamins and labs etc. She said over the 12 years she's been doing this she hasn't seen anything good come from DS. Such fun.

I know 8 people in real life with WLS, 5 have gained all the weight back and then some. ! VSG and 2 DS are currently at goal and maintaining. THE VSG can only eat 900 calories a day and has to to meds for osteoporosis, the 2 DSers eat about 1800-2000 calories a day and because they started VitaLady from day 1 they are both doing great 10 plus years out. It's all about taking care of yourself!

Another conversation with a surgeon's office trying to coordinate my next steps. This is basically the 4th person in my early part of this journey to try to scare me. I wish it didn't work. This was someone from the hospital system I work for, so I wanted to at least consult, but I told her I wasn't sure I wanted to waste their time since they don't do the surgery I'm leaning towards. Then followed a 10-minute scare lecture about how horrible the DS is and to be very careful because patients get really sick. I told her I had been researching off and on for 10 years and know how important it is to be diligent about vitamins and labs etc. She said over the 12 years she's been doing this she hasn't seen anything good come from DS. Such fun.
Are you trying to sabotage and scare yourself out of doing this surgery? Why consult with people who don't do this surgery? Why not consult with three well known DS surgeons so you get quality information? What she said isn't even evidence based but anecdotal.

Are you trying to sabotage and scare yourself out of doing this surgery? Why consult with people who don't do this surgery? Why not consult with three well known DS surgeons so you get quality information? What she said isn't even evidence based but anecdotal.

For this practice, I started the process several weeks ago when all options were still on the table. I wanted to try to have surgery for the hospital system I work for (better financial benefit and I know the people), but no one does the DS where I work or any of the hospitals affiliated. She was just finally calling me about the next steps, which is why I told her I didn't want to waste her time. The first consult was unofficial, I was there with my mom to consult on her hernia surgery, so I asked if he performed DS. 2nd consult was with a surgeon who claims to perform DS, but turns out he does not...any longer. I have a consult with someone who says he does DS, so we will see about that. Then next up is Dr. Smith in Celebration.

For this practice, I started the process several weeks ago when all options were still on the table. I wanted to try to have surgery for the hospital system I work for (better financial benefit and I know the people), but no one does the DS where I work or any of the hospitals affiliated. She was just finally calling me about the next steps, which is why I told her I didn't want to waste her time. The first consult was unofficial, I was there with my mom to consult on her hernia surgery, so I asked if he performed DS. 2nd consult was with a surgeon who claims to perform DS, but turns out he does not...any longer. I have a consult with someone who says he does DS, so we will see about that. Then next up is Dr. Smith in Celebration.
Oh I get it. It just happened to work out that way and not that you were intentionally pursuing doctors who didn't do the surgery. You can talk your concerns over everything with a therapist too. There's a lot of conditioning and fatphobia in our society that we need to breakthrough in order to be in the right frame of mind. Mine was "Take your time and do it the right way." The right way is such a judgmental and subjective phrase.

Oh I get it. It just happened to work out that way and not that you were intentionally pursuing doctors who didn't do the surgery. You can talk your concerns over everything with a therapist too. There's a lot of conditioning and fatphobia in our society that we need to breakthrough in order to be in the right frame of mind. Mine was "Take your time and do it the right way." The right way is such a judgmental and subjective phrase.

Yeah I’m not looking forward to some of the judgements.

Yeah I’m not looking forward to some of the judgements.
Well, you will be successful and keep the weight off. Diabetes will be in your rear view mirror. He who laughs last and all that.

I waited longer than the others who had surgery when I did because I wanted the DS. I can't tell you how many times they told me I was being ridiculous. I could have the RNY next week. Why was I wasting all this time waiting when I could already be thin? Well, I lost the weight and I am still close to normal almost 17 years later. And they are all except one, back to fat.

In reality, I should have listened to them. Refused to wait and had the surgery at my convenience in Spain. But I not going to admit that to them!

Last edited:
Well, you will be successful and keep the weight off. Diabetes will be in your rear view mirror. He who laughs last and all that.

I waited longer than the others who had surgery when I did because I wanted the DS. I can't tell you how many times they told me I was being ridiculous. I could have the RNY next week. Why was I wasting all this time waiting when I could already be thin? Well, I lost the weight and I am still close to normal almost 17 years later. And they are all except one, back to fat.

In reality, I should have listened to them. Refused to wait and had the surgery at my convenience in Spain. But I not going to admit that to them!

Not going to lie, there is a real fear that I will do this and be nutrient deficient and still fat. I realize that sounds a little crazy, but I truly fear that there is some undiagnosed issue in my body because I have so many problems, especially with my stomach. It sounds kind of insane to think that I am going to mess with something so broken already!

Not going to lie, there is a real fear that I will do this and be nutrient deficient and still fat. I realize that sounds a little crazy, but I truly fear that there is some undiagnosed issue in my body because I have so many problems, especially with my stomach. It sounds kind of insane to think that I am going to mess with something so broken already!
That was my nightmare too. I would have the surgery and still be fat.

Not going to lie, there is a real fear that I will do this and be nutrient deficient and still fat. I realize that sounds a little crazy, ..."

Not at all! That is what the RNY will get you. However, there are definitely DS lifestyle issues to consider. It is very unlikely you will take "2 handfuls of pills" twice per day. That is only true for a few folks (not most). It is highly doubtful you could your calcium needs at that schedule, let alone the other vit/mins. We can only absorb so much at a time so you do need to spread the supplements apart. I take supplements 4x per day B,L,D, and bedtime. It is not a big deal. Ideally, they should not be taken with food but this is a schedule that works for me.

Also, many people do gain weight so you have to watch your food intake. If you struggle with emotional/binge eating currently, you want to get that under control before surgery. Taking in a lot of carbs will result (for most) gas, bloat and bathroom issues as well as weight gain.

Maybe you will find this comforting. Some do. Let's say your every nightmare comes true and your surgery is a disaster. The intestinal part of the DS is completely reversible. That would leave you with just the sleeve.

That helps.
Maybe you will find this comforting. Some do. Let's say your every nightmare comes true and your surgery is a disaster. The intestinal part of the DS is completely reversible. That would leave you with just the sleeve.
That does help. I woke up today with a bit more peace about this. Less terrifying questions are entering my mind. I’m sure that will change, but I’m pushing forward and hoping it all comes into place.

Not at all! That is what the RNY will get you. However, there are definitely DS lifestyle issues to consider. It is very unlikely you will take "2 handfuls of pills" twice per day. That is only true for a few folks (not most). It is highly doubtful you could your calcium needs at that schedule, let alone the other vit/mins. We can only absorb so much at a time so you do need to spread the supplements apart. I take supplements 4x per day B,L,D, and bedtime. It is not a big deal. Ideally, they should not be taken with food but this is a schedule that works for me.

Also, many people do gain weight so you have to watch your food intake. If you struggle with emotional/binge eating currently, you want to get that under control before surgery. Taking in a lot of carbs will result (for most) gas, bloat and bathroom issues as well as weight gain.

I know weight gain is possible. I am not a binge eater, but do eat sometimes from stress/hopelessness and when I’m happy or celebrating. I anticipate a lot of anxiety through the first few months due to the loss of food. Maybe forever, I don’t know. Looking to line up therapy with someone who specializes in Bariatric Surgery and addiction and also starting OA. Loading up on all the tools!!

I know weight gain is possible. I am not a binge eater, but do eat sometimes from stress/hopelessness and when I’m happy or celebrating. I anticipate a lot of anxiety through the first few months due to the loss of food. Maybe forever, I don’t know. Looking to line up therapy with someone who specializes in Bariatric Surgery and addiction and also starting OA. Loading up on all the tools!!
By all means, do what you can do to make it easier. But remember there are plenty of us who can eat anything. We could go on vacation together for a week and you would never know I had surgery unless I told you. I can eat anything I could preop. I never had any strange pre or postop diets. My first meal at home was ground beef, with a slice of cheese melted on top, and a tsp of salsa. The only real difference for me was I had to eat VERY slowly.

Not too likely you will have serious mourning issues. Seeing the weight come off is such a reward that you won't WANT the food. Plus you don't have to give up anything forever. It's just until you weigh X. It's also a motivator to lose it all ASAP while it is still easy! A lot of people say they have no appetite at all for weeks after surgery. That didn't happen to me though.

My feeling after doing all the research and actually going through with it, was that the whole thing was a lot easier than I expected. And my surgery was open.

By all means, do what you can do to make it easier. But remember there are plenty of us who can eat anything. We could go on vacation together for a week and you would never know I had surgery unless I told you. I can eat anything I could preop. I never had any strange pre or postop diets. My first meal at home was ground beef, with a slice of cheese melted on top, and a tsp of salsa. The only real difference for me was I had to eat VERY slowly.

Not too likely you will have serious mourning issues. Seeing the weight come off is such a reward that you won't WANT the food. Plus you don't have to give up anything forever. It's just until you weigh X. It's also a motivator to lose it all ASAP while it is still easy! A lot of people say they have no appetite at all for weeks after surgery. That didn't happen to me though.

My feeling after doing all the research and actually going through with it, was that the whole thing was a lot easier than I expected. And my surgery was open.

Is your experience typical? I ask because you touched on my next question. I’ll try asking here before making a new post.

Why does it seem like the DS post op diet restrictions/tolerances etc are so different than what sleevers say? Not pertaining to the weight loss/malabsorption but the quantity and types. Is it strictly because of the malabsorption? Sleeve size?

While I’m not a binge eater I do love me some carbs, who doesn't? I know DS absorbs carbs 100% (right?) so does it not phase you to have to avoid carbs? Like a surgically induced Atkins diet?

Latest posts

Back