Surgery day

Firewife204

Hello lovelies
Tomorrow is the day 😊 any advice or recommendations on what to pack to take to the hospital? I am so ready for this day and everyone can’t believe I’m not nervous lol. I’m praying for a fast and healthy surgery and ik it’s in his hands so I’ll be fine. Happier and healthier life is about to begin.

Wear the clothes to the hospital that you plan to wear home. A change or two of underwear, they will give you a hospital gown and you can request a second one to wear as a robe, they will give you slip on socks with grippers to wear. Phone or tablet or both and LONG changing cord. Some hospital beds have chargers built in, some don’t. Put a pillow in your car for the ride home but leave it in the car.

You won’t need much. Lay everything out and put about half of it back.

Make sure everything you would want is within arms reach of your bed / reclining chair at home, like the chapstick, tissues or wet wipes, a bottle of water, book, etc. Prepare your comfy resting zone in advance. Also, I found using a stepstool was helpful to get in and out of bed in the early days out. Hoping for an uncomplicated procedure and uneventful recovery! Please let us know how it goes.

Not asked, but a tip: Remember to walk as soon as you can after the surgery... it gets the insides moving. At first you'll probably do it with an iv pole in hand up and down the hospital corridor

Bring good slip on sneakers with a rubber sole so you can get a good grip on fhe hospital floor

Thanks all, after 4 days I finally made it home. I was so nauseous I couldn’t even keep ice chips down. Not doing to bad now that I’m home just have to keep draining my port bulb and making sure I move lol. Getting the liquids in has been a challenge for sure so I’ll get my nausea medication Monday and hopefully it’ll help. The gas and stomach gurgling has been the hardest part of all. It’s definitely been a struggle but ik it’ll all be worth it, thanks all ☺️

Glad you are back home! Please do your best to stay hydrated above all things. It should get a little better every day from here.

glad to hear you are home!

You may know this, but if you get dehydrated at all (and it's so easy to do) this may create nausea or make it worse, so you really have to make yourself sip, sip, sip all day long to get in whatever fluids agree with you.

try out different kinds of fluid and different temperatures, keeping in mind what tasted good as a pre-op maybe not now and vice versa.
Getting the liquids in has been a challenge for sure
make sure you are keeping track of how much you get in.

And keep us updated!

So far everything is going well, the liquids are going down smoothly and so far so good. The only pain I have is my back, my stomach still hurts in places especially where the drain is but the back pain is the worst. Any ideas to help with that? I constantly use a heating pad now so any other ideas would be appreciated.

So far everything is going well, the liquids are going down smoothly and so far so good. The only pain I have is my back, my stomach still hurts in places especially where the drain is but the back pain is the worst. Any ideas to help with that? I constantly use a heating pad now so any other ideas would be appreciated.
As you lose weight, your center of gravity changes.

Glad to hear you are able to hydrate and that the procedure went well. I'm sorry about the back ache - can't suggest anything OTC other than a good mattress, heating pad and tincture of time. It would be good to contact the surgeon's office to see if they can assist with pain management - maybe different pain meds or muscle relaxants or the like. It should get a bit better every day.

Latest posts

Back