Surgeon options - opinions please

Sunshine Too

FYI I am in New Orleans. I've been researching various surgeons and also trying to coordinate who's in network for insurance along with travel logistics. I want to go with someone very reputable and vetted. While I would love to have "the best", that may not be realistic if they're not in network and travel is far and expensive, particularly as it relates to followup visits or extended post-surgery stay in nearby area (for example Dr. Keshishian falls in this category).

With that backdrop, I've identified 2 strong possibilities:

Dr. Smith in Celebration, FL. He appears to be extremely experienced and very well respected. Both he and his hospital are in network. Flights to Orlando aren't the cheapest. But on the plus side my dad lives about 1.5 hours away. So I could do extended post-surgery stay not too far away in case of any complications, and I would have family there to help care for me.

Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. He appears to be skilled and well trained, but hasn't been operating as long as others. Both he and his hospitals are in network. Flights to Dallas are cheap. My sister lives 30 minutes from his hospital. So again that makes extended post-surgery stay very easy and I would have family there to care for me.

I've read info and reviews on both of these. I would appreciate vets opinions on how the two compare. If its a toss-up, then I would probably choose Ayoola since he's a little more convenient for me. My impression is that Smith is probably more experienced and renowned. The question is whether you think there's a material difference that would sway the decision towards Smith. I appreciate your opinions.

Also - does anyone know if these two typically consider DS for lightweights (38 BMI)?

FYI - For any of those remotely following my journey, I haven't committed to have surgery or not yet. Just doing all my research and getting my ducks in order. I want to be very well educated and have a plan when I talk to the surgeon.

Last edited:
Dr. Smith in Celebration, FL. He appears to be extremely experienced and very well respected. Both he and his hospital are in network. Flights to Orlando aren't the cheapest. But on the plus side my dad lives about 1.5 hours away. So I could do extended post-surgery stay not too far away in case of any complications, and I would have family there to help care for me.

Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. He appears to be skilled and well trained, but hasn't been operating as long as others. Both he and his hospitals are in network. Flights to Dallas are cheap. My sister lives 30 minutes from his hospital. So again that makes extended post-surgery stay very easy and I would have family there to care for me.

I've read info and reviews on both of these. I would appreciate vets opinions on how the two compare. If its a toss-up, then I would probably choose Ayoola since he's a little more convenient for me. My impression is that Smith is probably more experienced and renowned. The question is whether you think there's a material difference that would sway the decision towards Smith. I appreciate your opinions.
Both are excellent options.

Dr. Smith is by far the one with more experience. He's been doing the DS for well over 10 years. Dr. Ayoola is newer. He proctored with Dr. Stewart (RIP) and took over for Dr. Stewart about 3 years ago. When we had the DS about 5 years ago, Smith was a known DS surgeon. Ayoola hadn't even come up in conversation.

So if you want long term track record, Smith but OTOH, Ayoola is now known for being a revision surgeon (RNY to DS) which is much more complicated than a virgin DS.

Latest posts

Back