Sunday experiment: Black bean "noodles"

Elizabeth N.

Herder of cats
This is funky stuff! It does feel very chewy al dente. I might have undercooked it a bit, but didn't want it to get mushy *gag*. Next time I'll cook it a bit longer--low boiled the noodles for 6-7 minutes. I think I'll try 8 or 9 minutes next time.

They absorb a TON of seasonings. I thought my dressing was going to be too spicy, but it wasn't at all.

If you try it, do NOT expect it to resemble "pasta." It's a food in its own right.

I think I'm going to do up a salad (room temp, again) that is basically the same recipe as Texas caviar and use these noodles instead of whole black beans. You can Google up a gazillion recipes for that. My version tends to be chopped onion, garlic and cilantro, black beans, corn, bell peppers, avocado and salsa.

Glad you posted about these. I hadn't seen them yet, but will look now.

I'm always looking for alternatives to the somewhat useless foods that can swap out with something with more benefits or nutrition. I found black rice to swap out my regular white varieties, but noodles have been more of a struggle, and quinoa is not the same.

Last week I was in Costco and they had samples of this. I actually spit it out.
How did they prepare it?

It's definitely NOT a pasta substitute. That, to me, is often a problem with these things--the taste buds get kind of "primed" by the noodle like appearance.

Latest posts

Back