Study on SIBO eradication

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
I'd been following that study. I just become more convinced every day, week, month, and year that probiotics are why I have such an easy time. I quit them every once in a while, and after some period of time, will get some bloating or smelly poop where I know things have changed, so I go back on them. It's now usually months or even years now that I CAN go off them, so I think they become more established in the gut the longer you take them. No real idea, just what I think.

There are limited strains that are available to us (for purchase), and one I targeted was oxalobacter formigenes for kidney stones. It couldn't be purchased, so I found a closely related strain in VSL#3, and just take that and occasionally other commercially produced, as well as other natural and wild strains that I try to get in fermented food.

If Dr K does not know of something equivalent, I think its worth researching the closest strain you can get. I'm certain I'm getting other probiotics that are helping with the oxalate in the kidney stones, but they just weren't the subject of a study. I'm aiming for probiotic variety at this point.

I'd been following that study. I just become more convinced every day, week, month, and year that probiotics are why I have such an easy time. I quit them every once in a while, and after some period of time, will get some bloating or smelly poop where I know things have changed, so I go back on them. It's now usually months or even years now that I CAN go off them, so I think they become more established in the gut the longer you take them. No real idea, just what I think.

There are limited strains that are available to us (for purchase), and one I targeted was oxalobacter formigenes for kidney stones. It couldn't be purchased, so I found a closely related strain in VSL#3, and just take that and occasionally other commercially produced, as well as other natural and wild strains that I try to get in fermented food.

If Dr K does not know of something equivalent, I think its worth researching the closest strain you can get. I'm certain I'm getting other probiotics that are helping with the oxalate in the kidney stones, but they just weren't the subject of a study. I'm aiming for probiotic variety at this point.
Here is my exchange with Dr K on his page - His comments are always very interesting

upload_2016-3-23_15-11-24.png

and that isn't to discount what you are saying, because I think I agree with you for a normal DS patient. Dr K knows my situation and that something is going on with me anatomically that is causing my SIBO, so he was saying that until that issue is fixed that I will continue to get SIBO even if I get temporary relief from a better Probiotic and or Antibiotic. Flagyl makes me feel better for a couple weeks and then it is back.

For a normal person without anatomical issues it sounds like probiotics, the right strains, are preventing SIBO.

Yah, I realize you aren't the typical DSer, and hope he can sort this out for you ASAP.

I also find the probiotics he mentioned interesting, as I take Primal Defense but haven't found it's results as instant and abvous with my issues, but found the Align brand took care of bloating immediately.

I'm anxious to hear what his reply is to you.

Yah, I realize you aren't the typical DSer, and hope he can sort this out for you ASAP.

I also find the probiotics he mentioned interesting, as I take Primal Defense but haven't found it's results as instant and abvous with my issues, but found the Align brand took care of bloating immediately.

I'm anxious to hear what his reply is to you.
That actually was his reply. How it shows up before my comment /question in that thread, is beyond me. I think he is suggesting taking both of those brands to get all four of the strains in the study. I am pretty sure @DianaCox takes PDU in the morning and another at night, or it might be @Larra.

I think he is suggesting taking both of those brands to get all four of the strains in the study
- I was reading and wondering if this is what he was suggesting. I was taking primal defense and switched up to something else - so as it runs out. I'll do the ultra in the am and Align at night. Not having any symptoms or challenges, but figure prevention is the best cure

I take at least 3 daily.
-Primal Defense
-VSL #3
-Florastor (the equivalent that Solomon H recommended via Amazon)

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that this combination has prevented me from developing a raging C. diff. infection at any point over the last 10 months (I have had recurring abscess associated with my resident anal fistula). Since the first week of August 2015, I have taken complete courses of:
  • augmentin (one complete course, developed horrific diarrhea within hours of the second dose of the second course)
  • cipro (one iv course in hospital and one course of oral in between the 2 courses of bactrim)
  • bactrim (2 courses)
  • z-pac for strep throat
  • high dose levaquin for pneumonia
So far my guts are not completely happy, but I have shown no signs of antibiotic-induced C. diff. infection. At this point, I am committed to continuing the probiotics for the foreseeable future. It is an investment in my health that I feel is necessary.

I take at least 3 daily.
-Primal Defense
-VSL #3
-Florastor (the equivalent that Solomon H recommended via Amazon)

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that this combination has prevented me from developing a raging C. diff. infection at any point over the last 10 months (I have had recurring abscess associated with my resident anal fistula). Since the first week of August 2015, I have taken complete courses of:
  • augmentin (one complete course, developed horrific diarrhea within hours of the second dose of the second course)
  • cipro (one iv course in hospital and one course of oral in between the 2 courses of bactrim)
  • bactrim (2 courses)
  • z-pac for strep throat
  • high dose levaquin for pneumonia
So far my guts are not completely happy, but I have shown no signs of antibiotic-induced C. diff. infection. At this point, I am committed to continuing the probiotics for the foreseeable future. It is an investment in my health that I feel is necessary.
Wow, you are like the probiotic rockstar! I try to take a variety, but may take one one day, and something else the next. Very wise of you to load up on them when you have has so many antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back