Still in the decision making process

Newb

Tomorrow is the final meeting for DS approval from the Geisinger bariatric program. As I have stated earlier, I am not ready to give up on this program yet, I keep hearing stories from many people in this area who have successfully completed the program and are extremely satisfied with their results, and with Dr. Gabrielson as a surgeon. I understand that Dr. Gabrielson is not known on this forum, and neither is Geisinger Medical Center, but his success as a surgeon is what is keeping me here for the moment. Tomorrow, I have my final consult with the director of the bariatric program (he has had bariatric surgery at Geisinger, and is a strong supporter of the program) who is fairly accomplished in the field of bariatric medicine. He is not a surgeon, but is speaking on the topic around the country. Anyway, I am feeling that if the surgeon is a good one, and if they are committed to doing the surgery correctly, it is best for me to have the surgery locally. I want to state again, that, I if do see any red flags, I WILL have my surgery elsewhere (I still have not paid the program fee). Also, my PCP (a geisinger Doc) is fantastic. I am meeting with her tomorrow. I fully believe that she will be willing to work with me on my health after the DS, and will educate herself about what my needs will be. With her, I am very confident, no matter where I go. Tomorrow, I will also have a meeting with the surgery team, I am hopeful that a surgeon will be there, but I do not know the answer to that yet. If there is not a surgeon present, I will leave my list of questions, and get the answer from a surgeon, or, I will let them know that I will not be having surgery at Geisinger. I have read a LOT of information from this site, I feel like I have good information, and I am not afraid to tell them that I am willing to go elsewhere, and that members of this forum are even advising that I do. I want them to assure me that they are doing this thing correctly. I have gathered that many individuals on this forum got the surgery and have had to make adjustments themselves for the sake of their health. I do have confidence in the surgeons at Geisinger, I am now looking for confidence in the surgeon for the PROCEDURE that I want. Finally, I will be going to a support group meeting for Geisinger bariatric surgery patients. I am very excited to talk to a group of patients who have had the surgery here. I think I will get a good sense of the program from them. I am going to include the questions that I want answers to, before I decide whether or not to have surgery here. I am asking for help again. Is this a good list? Am I missing something important? Generally, what do you think?
- How many DS surgeries have you done? In what timeframe?
- WHat is your complication rate for the DS only?
-What percentage of your patients have had malabsorption that is too high?
-What is the rate for unsatisfactory malabsorption in your patients?
-What percentage of your patients have you had to reoperate on to correct malabsorption issues?
-What percentage of patients have you had to reoperate on (make surgical corrections) to correct any issues with their original DS?
-Do you use the Hess Method? (10% and 40%)
-Will you be measuring my small bowel length and using the Hess Method to determine my AL and CC lengths?
-Will you take my height into consideration when determining my lengths? How so? (I need help with this one, how does height play a role in determining AL and CC lengths?)
-How many anastomosis will you make?
-Why did you start doing the DS?
-Who taught you to do the DS? Who did your teacher learn from?
-What is the mortality rate for the DS here at Geisinger? What is your DS mortality rate?
-What coding are you using for billing?
-Can I have a copy of the lab orders you will be ordering for the 1st year post-op?
-Will you be willing to adjust lab orders, making them specific to my needs?
-Are you willing to put in writing, that you will be giving me a DS as described in CPT 43845, with two anastomosis, if not, I will go elsewhere?

Well, what do you think?

Latest posts

Back