Social Causes of Diabetes

interesting article, and I have a question about normies with diabetes: why are they still eating crap? my workplace like any other in this country thinks an OK breakfast for a diabetic is pancakes with sugar free syrup or a big bowl of cream of wheat with splenda: don't we know any better than that??

In San Francisco, the Fight Against Diabetes Gets Personal
Because they have been told to EAT a diabetic diet...which is heavy in supposedly healthy carbs.

The smart ones among us watch our intake of carbs. It's why the DS was a perfect fit for what I was already doing.

Smart ones follow this list: http://www.diabetes-book.com/book/chapter10.shtml (and READ this one: http://www.diabetes-book.com/book/chapter9.shtml)

Dr. Richard Bernstein is a type 1 endocrinologist who WAS a mechanical engineer.
Bernstein's program for treating diabetes is highly regarded amongst his patients and achieves great blood sugar control, which reduces some or all of the complications associated with diabetes. The tradeoff is compliance with a very restricted diet and in many cases, frequent testing and insulin shots. Bernstein strongly opposes the dietary guidelines from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. His dietary recommendations are in contradiction to most other diets.

Some of the highlights of his treatment program include:[2]
  • A very low carbohydrate diet to allow much tighter blood sugar control.
  • The allowed carbohydrate amounts are a maximum of 6 grams for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, 12 grams for dinner.
  • Avoiding all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream and fermented cheeses.
  • The patient takes responsibility for blood sugar control including blood glucose testing up to 8 times per day.
  • Target blood glucose levels that are nearly constant for the entire day.
  • Weight loss for obese people with type 2 diabetes.
  • Exercise for all those with type 2 diabetes.
  • Basal and bolus dosing for insulin users.
I was never able to get as low on the carbs as he recommended but it was due to finding his info EARLY on, that I avoided high blood sugars for as long as I could.
Dr. Berstein's philosophy is unique in that he believes diabetics are entitled to the same blood sugars as non-diabetic.
Non diabetic levels are under 6...what always annoyed the hell out of me was "good for a diabetic", I wanted just "good". It was thanks to meds and the chapters I just linked that I was able to significantly lower my blood sugars so fast after diagnosis on Dec 15, 1997 to below 6 and keep them there for several years...but was on four meds when *I* decided to go the insulin route and ended up getting my insulin pump in 2003. Then I was able to maintain good control but needed ever increasing amounts of insulin to do it. That is when the idea of WLS popped in my head.

Diabetic diets are just wrong. They are incredibly heavy in carbs/sugars. I remember years ago going to the 'diabetic educator' when my H was diagnosed and telling her the diet she was pushing was only going to guarantee her patients got worse, fast. And all the low fat crap... You'd think these people would know that hyperlipidemia goes with diabetes even if they consume almost no fat.

Dr. Berstein's philosophy is unique in that he believes diabetics are entitled to the same blood sugars as non-diabetic.

you should hear the stuff I hear in the nursing home - the blood sugar can be 250 and the nurse will say "that's normal for them"

can you imagine? no wonder they don't keep all their limbs.

Latest posts

Back