Second Reclast infusion today....

Elizabeth N.

Herder of cats
I decided last year to start treating my (early) osteoporosis medically with annual Reclast infusions. First one was about a year ago last Easter. I had an unpleasant but typical reaction that was basically like a short round of flu--chills, aches, fever, malaise that lasted a few days.

Today I had my second infusion. Told the medical peeps about the first one, and they had me guzzle oodles of extra water and take a couple doses of Tylenol right away. We shall see how I'm feeling in the morning....

I'm a little bit nervous about the decision to take this path. It is one piece of the puzzle when it comes to fighting bone loss. There's still supplementing, weight bearing exercise, etc.

I'm waiting w/bated breath to hear how your second round has gone. I've had to put mine off a bit...but it's coming within the next couple of months. I remember how the first one went for you (it was god awful for me) so I'm curious to see if this round is much milder for you (as they tell me it is).

I might be feeling a tiny bit funky, not sure.....It might be from the time I spent out in the sun repotting flowers, too. Very minimal thus far.

I had a moment of terror about the stuff when my Dexa results showed that while I am osteopenic in the spine and osteoporotic in the hip (both values just 0.10 points on either side of the diagnostic cutoff, so -1 point something), but my forearm, which was scanned for the first time since preop (result was around -2.0, so somewhat osteoporotic) was -5,8 or severely osteoporotic.

So of course off I went to Dr. Google and discovered that sometimes Dexilant was correlated with major bone loss in forearm and jaw. GACK!!!!

After I got done freaking out, I went and read in some more depth about studies and results, and discovered that a) these results happened more often with injections as opposed to infusions--I think they're done more frequently than infusions?-- and b) the results, while statistically significant, were still quite low compared to the awful shit that happens with uncontrolled osteoporosis. The stats on differences in osteoporosis-connected fractures, over a three year period, were meaningfully better with Reclast than without.

I'm SO glad I took those six credits of statistics and research methods in the social sciences :-D. Helps me make sort of more sense out of studies.

I'll get around to posting lab results sometime fairly soon. I'm trying to figure out how to work the scanner on my fancy new phone so I can upload them directly.

Latest posts

Back