Saw a hematologist today

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
And was successful at convincing her that even with a ferritin of 23, I needed help. I had charts and graphs and explanations about the DS and how it affects vitamin/mineral absorption. I also based MINE on having Secondary RLS which can be "cured" with good levels of ferritin and iron sat (good being above 50 for the ferritin and above 30% for the iron sat).

So she is going to try and get it thru my insurance to get it paid. We will see how that goes.

And they pulled another iron panel. Last one was a month ago...should be interesting.

Liz

Lauren, I saw Dr. Vidito http://www.spartanburgregional.com/find-physician/profile/?id=379 However if she said "my dear" one more time, I considered whapping her.

IF it had not been for the Secondary RLS, I would not have succeeded in getting a referral for infusions. As it was, she kept telling me my hemoglobin was JUST fine. It was but not the two markers mentioned for secondary RLS.

Lauren, I saw Dr. Vidito http://www.spartanburgregional.com/find-physician/profile/?id=379 However if she said "my dear" one more time, I considered whapping her.

IF it had not been for the Secondary RLS, I would not have succeeded in getting a referral for infusions. As it was, she kept telling me my hemoglobin was JUST fine. It was but not the two markers mentioned for secondary RLS.
Ugh! That's who I saw! I didn't like her much, and she said the risks of infusions were not worth it since my levels weren't "that bad" and I was asymptomatic. Funny thing was that we went to the same college in NY :cool:

Ugh! That's who I saw! I didn't like her much, and she said the risks of infusions were not worth it since my levels weren't "that bad" and I was asymptomatic. Funny thing was that we went to the same college in NY :cool:
I'm not fond of her either but if I manage to get infusions, I'll find someone else for next time. Apparently @Hala has a GOOD one over in Greenville.

Liz I hope you get your infusions and that it helps you. I gotta google side affects of infusion for myself as I have a appointment with my GI doctor tomorrow and he is suppose to order them for me.

..........I had charts and graphs and explanations about the DS and how it affects vitamin/mineral absorption. I also based MINE on having Secondary RLS which can be "cured" with good levels of ferritin and iron sat (good being above 50 for the ferritin and above 30% for the iron sat).

Liz

could you share any of these documents/sources with the group? I am preparing to try to convince my hemotologist to order up infusions for me. She has been trying to see what we can do with oral iron. She has no experience with DS patients, and only one RNY, so the whole bariatric thing is new to her. I have given her a couple of documents, but more authorities would be helpful. She is young and eager to research/learn what she doesn't know...but she really needs credible sources

thanks
Ann

could you share any of these documents/sources with the group? I am preparing to try to convince my hemotologist to order up infusions for me. She has been trying to see what we can do with oral iron. She has no experience with DS patients, and only one RNY, so the whole bariatric thing is new to her. I have given her a couple of documents, but more authorities would be helpful. She is young and eager to research/learn what she doesn't know...but she really needs credible sources

thanks
Ann
Ann, I put them all in one thread so you can find them: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/low-iron-or-what-to-take-to-a-hematologist.1498/

Go and GET FIT IN. Your vacation will be so much better if you are not asleep the whole time!

Latest posts

Back