Save the Date!!

Just for reassurance: I had an appendectomy, an open abdominal exploratory surgery, salpingo-oophorectomy and lap band surgery prior to my DS and had adhesions galore but it didn't present any difficulties - it just made the surgery a bit longer. My backup plan was doing an open procedure if there were issues... just make sure to leave instructions as to what you do and do not want done in case there are difficulties.

The best of luck to you! :)

Oh thanks, BeBe - that makes me feel better! Did Dr E ask you beforehand about your wishes?

He didn't get a chance to ask... I was pretty vocal even before I went down there for the surgery and I reiterated my wishes once I got there.

And I'd had a salpingooophorectomy, C-section, and lap exploratory surgery and cyst reduction prior to my DS - and still had my DS, appendectomy and cholecystectomy in one procedure. There were lots of adhesions too.

As you can see many of us had at least one if not multiple abdominal cavity surgeries prior to our DS. I had my gall bladder out about five years ago, my virgin ds that was lap robotic, a year later I had an emergency intestinal hernia repair that was causing a blockage and then this past August I had a revision with Dr Keshishian (my original DS had to short of an AL to I had extreme malabsorption) where he also ended up fixing the intestinal hernia as the repaired mesentery had opened up. He also fixed an umbilical hernia as well as an snap fissure. As I mentioned he did this hand assisted lap and I think it only took a little under two hours......so it sounds to me like Dr Sharma is just preparing you for all options but realistically this should not be a problem.

It sounds like you have researched and and are a good advocate for yourself some just make sure you state what you want and on the consent form spell out that under no circumstances will anything but a full DS or at a minimum of he runs into severe issues beyond his ability to pull off the DS that you are given a VSG...... No RnY GBP.

Again I think it is unlikely that he can't do the DS but at least with a VSG the switch part could come later.

Latest posts

Back