Salad after weight loss surgery

you eat raw garlic? I don't think I've even tried that.

My biggest problem is that many of my veggies go bad before I have a chance to eat them as I buy so many tasty looking things when I shop

I also have that problem and also with fruit. I over-estimate how much I can eat before it goes bad. I always think how cool it would be to live next door (or, say, in the same block) as the co-op and I'd just shop for one or two days at most.

I can't eat anything raw. No lettuce at all. If I get a salad, I'll eat cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers (if I don't eat the skin at all), dressing. When I finish my salad, it probably looks like I didn't even touch it, but I basically eat off the top. My veggies have to be well cooked.
Shann, what was it like before your WLS, were you able to eat raw without a problem? do you miss it?

Raw spinach is permanently off my menu. I'm sure I'll remember a couple other ones before long, but it's getting late so I'm getting slow....
now this would make me sad - saw is the only way I like spinach and it's my favorite green. is this only since your DS?

Bearmom, now I have to google hemp hearts! the salad every day is what I am trying for as well, just from the store.

Jackie- I don't yet have a solution for the veggies going bad, but if I buy fruit I can rarely finish it before it starts to turn so before it does I chop it up and freeze it in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Once it's frozen I throw it in a ziplock bag and use it for my water infuser. Right now I have strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, and halved grapes. I also do the same thing with herbs so I can toss them in with the fruit in the infusion pitcher.

I saw one infuser (bed, bath & beyond? amazon?) that was sold separately - it's a ball shape - but I think it's plastic and saw a review that said the slits were too big for most herbs. I wonder if someone sells one that is like a big tea ball - stainless steel mesh.

I guess you can just throw stuff in and strain it on it's way into your glass. I seem to be over thinking this!

I saw one infuser (bed, bath & beyond? amazon?) that was sold separately - it's a ball shape - but I think it's plastic and saw a review that said the slits were too big for most herbs. I wonder if someone sells one that is like a big tea ball - stainless steel mesh.

I guess you can just throw stuff in and strain it on it's way into your glass. I seem to be over thinking this!
OR you could use a tea strainer for herbs

@JackieOnLine , Yes I could eat raw veggies before my surgery but for some reason now I can't process them - they make me throw up. I did have a big bowl of tomatoes and cucumbers (no skin) yesterday with cheese & dressing. Sometimes I can eat a chopped salad where they cut everything up into little tiny pieces. I do miss a big crunchy cold salad, and it's funny because salad is often the "gluten free" alternative. It completely messes people up when I say I can't have it either (just happened to us at a pizza place recently). I see yummy looking veggie trays that make me sad sometimes too.

I can't eat fruit either. It gives me massive headaches - I think from the natural sugars because they're the same kind of headaches I get from fake sugar stuff?

But I can eat the hell out of some mashed potatoes or desserts. Go figure....

I hope I can still eat salad. I think I liked them, but maybe it was just the ranch dressing, LOL. No seriously I grew up with my dad having a huge garden every summer and I love most veggies cooked and raw.

Latest posts

Back