Riddle me this! (Calcium, Vit D, & PTH)

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Had my newest labs in early June. Got my results and only three are seriously out of whack.
Calcium 11.0 range is 8.7 to 10.3
Vit D 136 range is 30-100
PTH 11 range 15-65

Taking Citracal 2 per dose at 600 mgs. Once in morning and once in evening. (No iron as I get infusions) Total daily dose is 1200.
Vit D, dry D3 50,000 M-F and 100,000 S &S.

What I did was lower my vitamin D. I stopped the EXTRA 50,000 on S & S. I don’t think lowering my calcium should be my first option so I didn’t.

My A started going up but still in range so left that alone. I take one 25,000 Biotech on S & S.
My E finally started trending down so added that.

Most have issues getting their PTH down. Apparently mine decided to cooperate too well.

I’m not sure what having PTH too low means. Our bones are constantly being monitored and remodeled, a process that is mediated by PTH, so we need some even if our weight is stable, so I imagine not enough isn’t necessarily good.

My liver apparently can’t tolerate my D and A being in the high range. But cutting the D back by half to 5 Ds/week is not quite enough, and K and E need to be bumped up too.

I’m not sure what having PTH too low means. Our bones are constantly being monitored and remodeled, a process that is mediated by PTH, so we need some even if our weight is stable, so I imagine not enough isn’t necessarily good.
That’s why I saw a need for a slight change. Out of the 9 dry D3 50,000 I take, dropping to 7 a week isn’t a large change. But I suspect my D will drop down to high 80’s. If the PTH stays on the low side of normal instead of “too low”. I’ll keep that til next year. I get my bloodwork done every 6 months.

Wow. Your results are very interesting. I take 150,000 D a day + 2900 calcium and the best I can get my D is a about a 45 and my PTH won't go lower than 55. The NP suggested taking too much D can be counter-effective? Ever hear of such a thing?

Wow. Your results are very interesting. I take 150,000 D a day + 2900 calcium and the best I can get my D is a about a 45 and my PTH won't go lower than 55. The NP suggested taking too much D can be counter-effective? Ever hear of such a thing?
No I haven’t. It is odd how different we all are. But it just proves that we have to follow our own labs, adjusting to them.

There is a good article on high blood calcium here. There are multiple causes listed, but one that caught my eye was high vitamin d intake. Not sure if it applies to DS patients

"very high doses of Vitamin D supplements can cause your calcium to bump into the high range - this is essentially an overdose on Vitamin D. This has become much more common as people are taking very high doses, such as 5000 units of Vitamin D3 or more daily"

There is a good article on high blood calcium here. There are multiple causes listed, but one that caught my eye was high vitamin d intake. Not sure if it applies to DS patients

"very high doses of Vitamin D supplements can cause your calcium to bump into the high range - this is essentially an overdose on Vitamin D. This has become much more common as people are taking very high doses, such as 5000 units of Vitamin D3 or more daily"

That’s why the one change I made was to lower the D I was taking. Now I just need to wait for my next labs this fall.

Wow on the crazy results. You are quite the calcium absorber. What was your PTH last time? Are you still taking 3 multi's daily? I'm trying to remember, were you dx'd with osteopenia (or osteoporosis) previously?

Wow on the crazy results. You are quite the calcium absorber. What was your PTH last time? Are you still taking 3 multi's daily? I'm trying to remember, were you dx'd with osteopenia (or osteoporosis) previously?
Last time on PTH was 14 with a lab range of 14 - 90.
Yes, to the three multis
Diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2014, osteopenia about 2 years before that.

Have you had a bone scan recently? I wonder if the improved PTH corresponds to an improvement in your bone density.

Latest posts

Back