Realistic Goals

Meep

Survived the endoscopy, and the follow-up is with the surgeon next week to determine what is up. I am emailing with my PCP now to find out the feasability of getting to U of C for a DS depending on how bad my stuff is. The GI doc said my intestines were much healthier than last year (I have very severe Celiac) so that is good! I am lucky because my PCP is quite supportive, and has said she will back me in doing it if my surgeon is unable to do it at Elmhurst because of the hospital contracts.

I have been reading the forums and read the realistic goals post (which was excellent). This started me thinking about my own goals. Is it realistic for me to get to 200 pounds? Currently I am at 313, and my highest weight long before surgery was 750-ish (the doctors are unsure, as the scale did not go much higher). I have never had regain, amazingly, in the past seven years. I am also only about 5'1". I guess, what is realistic given the DS? Could I actually hit 200 pounds?

I would love to be 200 pounds and get a knee replacement finally. It would make working in a hospital so much easier. Given my super high weight before is that possible do you think?

Yes, it is possible. You have done amazingly well with your sleeve, and the metabolic changes and malabsorption of the DS should be enough to get a significant amount more weight off. You may lose slower than someone with a one-stage DS, but you can do this.
Given where you started, unless you've already had plastics, I suspect you also have a lot of excess skin that will need to be removed at some point. This will also contribute to your weight loss. Even at 200 lbs, given your height, you would still be at above normal weight, so it's not as though you are asking to be skinny. 5'1" and 200 lbs is still a bmi of 37.8. Go for it!

Yes, it is possible. You have done amazingly well with your sleeve, and the metabolic changes and malabsorption of the DS should be enough to get a significant amount more weight off. You may lose slower than someone with a one-stage DS, but you can do this.
Given where you started, unless you've already had plastics, I suspect you also have a lot of excess skin that will need to be removed at some point. This will also contribute to your weight loss. Even at 200 lbs, given your height, you would still be at above normal weight, so it's not as though you are asking to be skinny. 5'1" and 200 lbs is still a bmi of 37.8. Go for it!

Thanks so much, Larra! Everything you've always told me has always been helpful. I wouldn't mind having a normal BMI, however I am not sure if that is realistic given my highest weight.

Ughh, I'm not looking forward to skin removal. I have not had plastics because I am trying to hold out as long as possible even though I already have tons of extra visible skin even though I am at 300 pounds still. The surgeon said I'd be able to do some now, but I'd rather do it once and not twice. My mobility isn't too bad thanks to the modern invention of fat lady spanx, heh. My arms are pretty much all skin despite still being obese, too. Again, I'd rather not get it twice though.

On the plus side, my insurance covers at least the stomach and chest/back for it (the latter is harder to do but they will cover it if petitioned) depending. I can't really complain because I am very fortunate in that regard.

Goals are hard! Let's face it we have failed plenty of times and who wants to add to the misery?

I do have a story for you. I met a man in my surgeon's office years ago. He was a farmer in rural Minnesota who had been injured in a farming accident. He went from active all the time to stuck in bed. He had the DS at 850lbs. When I met him he was at 250. He told me he stood to lose another 50lbs if he could get plastics.

I also know a woman who went from 650 to 160(post plastics) and she is doing very well. But she worked hard at it and lived on shakes with a few bites of food till she got there.

Bottom line, I agree with Larra. It can be done!

While you may never be a normal BMI (and that is skewed anyway), you WILL be far healthier at a lower weight...whatever that ends up being.
There are two individuals here who have come a LONG way...are they normal BMI, no, BUT they have lost an amazing amount of weight. Both have had to have the DS in 2 stages. One is now a DS'er but the other is not yet ready for the second part of her surgery. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/all-a-matter-of-perspective.1776/

Tagging @DuodenalSwitchaRoo and @more2adore

Even when I was a size six I still weighed like 150-160 pounds. I think my "healthy" weight is around 125. Being short sort of bites me in the ass, however, I certainly don't expect that. I am already used to a low carb diet at least... so I'm good for the long haul. :)

I wouldn't mind getting under 200, but 200 would thrill me. My main goal is to be able to buy clothes anywhere I go, which is weirdly already here...sort of. I still need the largest end of sizes depending, but it's a relief to not have to buy everything online.

And I totally get that thread! I am so functional now even at 295. Sometimes I feel guilty wanting to lose even more. However, I also don't think people who weigh less deserve to have a high BMI either! I am glad they figured it out before getting larger. I admire their wisdom if nothing else, heh. Because really, what 700 pound person who gets WLS wouldn't go back in time and get it at 240?! I mean, I totally would.

Even when I was a size six I still weighed like 150-160 pounds. I think my "healthy" weight is around 125. Being short sort of bites me in the ass, however, I certainly don't expect that. I am already used to a low carb diet at least... so I'm good for the long haul. :)

I wouldn't mind getting under 200, but 200 would thrill me. My main goal is to be able to buy clothes anywhere I go, which is weirdly already here...sort of. I still need the largest end of sizes depending, but it's a relief to not have to buy everything online.

And I totally get that thread! I am so functional now even at 295. Sometimes I feel guilty wanting to lose even more. However, I also don't think people who weigh less deserve to have a high BMI either! I am glad they figured it out before getting larger. I admire their wisdom if nothing else, heh. Because really, what 700 pound person who gets WLS wouldn't go back in time and get it at 240?! I mean, I totally would.

Well, I'm only two inches taller than you but every inch counts for sure.

I just wanted to point out your statement about a "Healthy weight" Not having comorbidities is healthy and I'm not an expert, but I bet your risks of them is much less at 200 pounds than 750 pounds.

I suspect you can get below 200, you will just need to work at it. Good luck.

Beth

I just wanted to point out your statement about a "Healthy weight" Not having comorbidities is healthy
Odd duck here...(I am part of the 2-3% that doesn't resolve diabetes long term with the DS). I AM a healthy weight. Yes, I could stand to lose 5 lbs and that would put me back in a normal BMI range but at my age, being just SLIGHTLY overweight is not a bad deal. The idea being that if I do get sick from something that can cause weight loss, I have a slightly better cushion than someone who is mid range normal. BUT my diabetes never fully resolved. Yes, I enjoyed over 5 years with a much lower A1C (5.7-6.4 versus over 8) but now it's creeping back up. Last one was a 7.4. BUT what helps this time is that I am close to a normal BMI. I'm not getting the "well, if you would only lose 30, 40, 50 lbs, it would resolve. So even those of us at a "healthy" weight can still have unhealthy comorbids.

Odd duck here...(I am part of the 2-3% that doesn't resolve diabetes long term with the DS). I AM a healthy weight. Yes, I could stand to lose 5 lbs and that would put me back in a normal BMI range but at my age, being just SLIGHTLY overweight is not a bad deal. The idea being that if I do get sick from something that can cause weight loss, I have a slightly better cushion than someone who is mid range normal. BUT my diabetes never fully resolved. Yes, I enjoyed over 5 years with a much lower A1C (5.7-6.4 versus over 8) but now it's creeping back up. Last one was a 7.4. BUT what helps this time is that I am close to a normal BMI. I'm not getting the "well, if you would only lose 30, 40, 50 lbs, it would resolve. So even those of us at a "healthy" weight can still have unhealthy comorbids.

I'm not so caught up on my weight number. That makes me feel guilty though. The only reason I even set 200 as my goal is most orthos won't do a knee replacement higher. I also think BMI tables are skewed somewhat and weirdly mathed, but that's a tangent. I have already lost about 80 BMI points. I don't even know what it was at 750ish, but it's currently like 53. So it still sucks, but it's also way better.

My main goal is mobility and moving around well enough to engage in activities, like walking longer, going to museums, traveling Chicago, easier. I actually am strikingly mobile now, but the dumb knee really kills it. It possibly sounds weird, but I am thrilled to be 295 even.

Realistic goals are so hard for me because I am a severe perfectionist. That is how I just got through graduate school.

It seems that you have great goals in mind. I hope your journey is a smooth one. I will be rooting for you.

Hi Meep, as a U of C alum, I know you will be in great hands. :) I think 200 (or actually 199, because that "1" in front just *feels* amazing), is a very reasonable goal. All the best!

Latest posts

Back