Reactive Hypoglycemia

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Since I was diagnosed with RH back in 1991 and had diabetes as well, I made sure I got a DS to avoid aggravating it. So when I was doing my research, I came across many links on the subject. I collected them into one post and am posting them here for others to see during their research.

NIPHS Noninsulinoma Pancreatogenous Hypoglycemic Syndrome

See the bottom of that page:

Mayo Clinic doctors have recognized and reported on a seemingly rare but serious complication following gastric bypass called non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) or post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia. After a person eats, this condition can result in very low blood sugar levels that lead to severe neurologic symptoms, including visual disturbances, confusion and (rarely) seizures.

It’s not just Mayo doctors tho, I found other links as well:

Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycaemia syndrome (NIPHS) caused by an activating glucokinase mutation

Electrical short-circuit in b-cells from a patient with non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemic syndrome (NIPHS): a case report

Clinical features and morphological characterization of 10 patients with noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycaemia syndrome

Here's a paper by Gary Taubes which, while not specifically addressing the issue of no pyloric sphincter=faster stomach emptying and the subsequent hyperinsulinemia / hypoglycemia cycle, addresses important issues regarding the way our food choices now can place us on addictive pathways, and set us on the metabolic syndrome train to weight gain. Imagine the studies he describes if those same monkeys had no working pyloric sphincter to regulate rate of food flow to the duodenum. Yikes!

Here's a paper by Gary Taubes which, while not specifically addressing the issue of no pyloric sphincter=faster stomach emptying and the subsequent hyperinsulinemia / hypoglycemia cycle, addresses important issues regarding the way our food choices now can place us on addictive pathways, and set us on the metabolic syndrome train to weight gain. Imagine the studies he describes if those same monkeys had no working pyloric sphincter to regulate rate of food flow to the duodenum. Yikes!

@Will2014, I don't see the link.

Haha! So true Jackie. But when you consider the HUGE power of Proctor and Gamble and other cereal + junk food suppliers, it makes sense that they'd never want the current false info to be refuted successfully.

Latest posts

Back