Reached a level of frustration that is bad for my stress level

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, we settled into an RV park in Wellsburg next to the Ohio river. We came here because of Charles’ Neurosurgeon. We contacted his old location in Toledo for the referral since they required one.

So then we try to find a PCP. Preferably one associated with the same hospital. We spend the next week trying to find one. Now, we’ve dealt with medical offices all over the country in all our years, from California to Maine, Michigan to Florida and never had this much of a hassle or the heard the responses we have. Basically they want us to fill out paperwork and then decide if they want us as patients. I’m sorry, what if I don’t want them? I can understand some questions but easily answered in the phone call, usually about pain meds. Thankfully all I use is Ibuprofen and Voltaren. I am so glad I didn’t end up with the RNY cause my first surgeon just told me to just use opioids. This got me thinking this week, how to those needing heavy duty pain meds find a pcp?

Anyway, we decided to focus that search one county over in Washington County, PA (the country south of Pittsburgh). Called the find a doctor help line associated with the hospital, and less than an hour later, we had appointment. During one of our trips over there, we will check out a different RV park to settle in. And we will focus our house search there.

geez, I hope you find both a doctor and a place to live.

:dontknow:

there are so many patients and so few doctors there they can just pick and choose?
We did easily find a doctor yesterday when I went thru one of the hospital doctor finder at one of the hospitals in Washington. When we called the doctor’s office and within a few mins, we had appointment. They asked a few questions to create a file, and asked what conditions. I did let them know all my ongoing pain meds are otc type. But in less than an hour, we had the appointments with none of the “the doctor has to approve you”. By going thru the doctor finder, we were able to focus on those accepting new patients. Even if we remain here in this park, it’s only 35 mins away.

When I mentioned the hassle we had here, I could see the “wtf” look on their face thru the phone.

We did easily find a doctor yesterday when I went thru one of the hospital doctor finder at one of the hospitals in Washington. When we called the doctor’s office and within a few mins, we had appointment. They asked a few questions to create a file, and asked what conditions. I did let them know all my ongoing pain meds are otc type. But in less than an hour, we had the appointments with none of the “the doctor has to approve you”. By going thru the doctor finder, we were able to focus on those accepting new patients. Even if we remain here in this park, it’s only 35 mins away.

When I mentioned the hassle we had here, I could see the “wtf” look on their face thru the phone.
Hopefully you will be happy with the new doc and it will all work out!

I have only had doctors wanting my records when I first tried to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon after my first back surgery. Then later trying to find a new pain doctor when I have intractable pain syndrome. Nobody would take me for pain management. Generally all my other doctors didn’t care about my narcotics prescriptions as long as they weren’t the ones prescribing it. Just don’t get pregnant, they said. While in the hospital one hospitalist said I didn’t need it and later when I had weaned off everything another hospitalist couldn’t believe it and asked me how I was enduring without it.

Overall, the government, doctors and pharmacies are making it very for people like me to have their pain managed and there’s still no treatment available, accessible and free for those who are abusing opioids which would actually help the situation. So I am surprised that primary care doctors are being selective but also not surprised. It sounds like a huge hassle though and aggravating. That’s only a sign of more hassles with that doctor and office though!

I have only had doctors wanting my records when I first tried to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon after my first back surgery. Then later trying to find a new pain doctor when I have intractable pain syndrome. Nobody would take me for pain management. Generally all my other doctors didn’t care about my narcotics prescriptions as long as they weren’t the ones prescribing it. Just don’t get pregnant, they said. While in the hospital one hospitalist said I didn’t need it and later when I had weaned off everything another hospitalist couldn’t believe it and asked me how I was enduring without it.

Overall, the government, doctors and pharmacies are making it very for people like me to have their pain managed and there’s still no treatment available, accessible and free for those who are abusing opioids which would actually help the situation. So I am surprised that primary care doctors are being selective but also not surprised. It sounds like a huge hassle though and aggravating. That’s only a sign of more hassles with that doctor and office though!
I'm so sorry there are barriers to you and others getting pain relief. That's terrible.

Well, hubby saw his neurosurgeon yesterday. According to him, the visit went very well. In testing his cognitive state, he asked hubby what was happening tomorrow (today now), dh calmly answered, Liz gets paid. He wants the cd of the tests he had while in Toledo. Fastest way for us to get those is to go get them (an almost 4 hour ride one way, but we can do it). So that’s where we are heading Friday.

We see our new PCP’s tomorrow. Printed out all relevant info except our lab slip, as that seems to cause consternation at the first appt. But will take copies of previous lab work. It helps that much of our stuff has been at hospitals, etc that use MyChart and both the neurosurgeon and our PCP also participate in that so we can share our medical records with them. MyChart has been a lifesaver.

Saw our new pcp today. We had the appt with the PA and we loved her. She listened, asked questions. We snuck up on her about blood work but she’s fine with our long list. We left with three referrals, one was mine, two for dh. And a suggestion for an ophthalmologist for eye exams. We can’t use an optician. We need an MD for us.

But it was a very productive trip.

Last edited:
Saw our new pcp today. We had the appt with the PA and we loved her. She listened, asked questions. We snuck up on her about blood work but she’s fine with our long list. We left with three referrals, one was mine, two for dh. And a suggestion for an ophthalmologist for eye exams. We can’t use an optician. We need an MD for us.

But it was a very productive trip.

Excellent. I am under (MiniSue’s) orders to wait until after second vaccine for a new eye exam, as they tend to be up close and personal. My ophthalmologist has either a dispensing optician or an optomitrist in his office, I‘m not sure which. But I can get glasses there and apparently Medicare helps with that. Also, I can get glasses for free at the VA.

Latest posts

Back