Question on Scallops

I *LOVE* fried oysters and steamed oysters- just no raw ones....
I basically love all shellfish- oysters, scallops, mussels, shrimp, lobster, crab.
Just no fishy fish for me- yuck!

Oh! Oh! Oh! I figured it out! I bought SEA SCALLOPS, they're bigger, about 1.5-2" across. They were perfect, just like the ones we had in Key West at Blue Heaven. I searched for a time and watched Youtube on cooking sea scallops. You pull off the little tough muscle on the side first, then sear them in a pan on each side. Just until bouncy but not springy. They say until they are "opaque", I had to look that up, it means "white". Which is confusing, because they start out white when raw? No seasonings in the recipe but I salted them. Made a butter sauce reduction with white wine and Vidalia onions. Mr Sheanie said they were like candy. My only complaint was they had sand in them, even after a half hour of rinsing in running water. But I still ate the hell out of them. No leftovers for the 23 year old who came home from Chicago last night. He got the ribs from the night before and augratin potatoes with ham that went with.

Anyone know how to get rid of the sand?

That sounds yummy! Opaque means that you can't see through them.

I don't know about the sand- I've never been brave enough to cook them myself. My husband had them yesterday at Carraba's and said they were amazing, so now I'm thinking I should try again.

I was afraid of them for decades. Finally tried them in Key West last week. They are my current favorite gourmet food. So good, I am not even thinking about wrapping them in bacon, which I have to do to choke down shrimp.

If you cook them at home, be careful not to overcook them. They are perfect when you can still cut them with a fork. A little soft, not chewy at all. Very tender and mild. Like my husband said: "they are like candy".

I adore scallops but living in Indiana I wouldn't even begin to trust they were fresh. If I ever make it to the coast...I'll try there :)

Sams is all that is available in Indiana. Supposedly, there is a Costco in Kentucky but too far for me :)

Latest posts

Back