PSA--Do you REALLY need that? REALLY?

Spiky Bugger

Tomorrow, the people at 1800PACKRAT will haul off +/- 830 cubic feet of stuff we don't REALLY need in our lives. (It is going to storage until we eventually move back to SoCal.)

Some of it gives us warm fuzzy feelings (family photos, diplomas, etc.), some of it was so expensive we are having trouble getting rid of it...except to the right people (a special wheelchair and attachments for use in a handicap van, THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars of books, magazines, paints and nonsense to make model tanks and shit), and some of it is a reminder that we WERE going to do SOMETHING, but haven't recently (canning jars and equipment.)

Anyway...from THIS END of the human life expectancy timeline, it makes a body wonder why the hell they thought they needed it all and why the hell they worked so long and so hard buying it all.

Today's PSA...
No matter how much you THINK you want it right now...some day, you, your heirs or your landlord (clearing out the home of the now dead tenant) will be working his/her/their ass(es) off trying to get rid of it.

Spiky, you are TRULY a "Piece of Work" in progress of course, always surly for sure, but wise even beyond your years! ;) That was a great post!

My house has, in the last year, become pack rat central due to being the storage for all of the stuff we had to move from my daddy's apt last May. And we couldn't afford, long term, a storage facility.

If it wasn't for major plumbing renovations (that started without warning and had to be addressed asap) that are now ALMOST finished, we haven't made headway in getting rid of stuff. Plus, we also can't get rid of it until probate is closed.

I completely agree with the PSA!

I'm a packrat, and I hate looking at what I have, but it comforts me to know I have it. What form of mental illness is that?

I have 35 years of shoes in a rack, most of which I will never wear. I have old underwear. I have my college spiral notebooks. I have tents - now that I have an RV, why would I have tents? I have a flute I was never any good at and haven't played in 45 years (and it's a Bundy - a student flute - probably not even worth replacing the pads on it).

I dunno - it's a disease.

I'm a packrat, and I hate looking at what I have, but it comforts me to know I have it. What form of mental illness is that?

I have 35 years of shoes in a rack, most of which I will never wear. I have old underwear. I have my college spiral notebooks. I have tents - now that I have an RV, why would I have tents? I have a flute I was never any good at and haven't played in 45 years (and it's a Bundy - a student flute - probably not even worth replacing the pads on it).

If I didn't move every year...

It's called hoarding and it's a form of OCD. I kept kidding myself by saying at least I wasn't as bad as the people on that TV show. Not now, anyway. The stepson and his wife will be here in June. I'm trying hard not to panic. My outside storage building is pretty full and I can't throw everything out at this time. One day and 4 or 5 trash bags at a time. At least I was able to give away all of my super fat clothes. Unfortunately, not the mind set. I've lost down to a size twelve jean and haven't gotten rid of my 16s. You know, that "I may gain it back" curse. Even with the mighty DS and 6 and half years out, my mind has that vicious lose-gain-lose some more-gain even more imprinting.

My previous counselor has retired and I hate that trust building that takes so long with a new one. @JackieOnLine , you know any good self help books or other weapons?

I don't know but I have it too! I am constanlty trying to organize shit and getting know were! I am crazy when it comes to jars! Why? Stupid shit that my kids would trash in a minute if something happened to us!

It's called hoarding and it's a form of OCD. I kept kidding myself by saying at least I wasn't as bad as the people on that TV show. Not now, anyway. The stepson and his wife will be here in June. I'm trying hard not to panic. My outside storage building is pretty full and I can't throw everything out at this time. One day and 4 or 5 trash bags at a time. At least I was able to give away all of my super fat clothes. Unfortunately, not the mind set. I've lost down to a size twelve jean and haven't gotten rid of my 16s. You know, that "I may gain it back" curse. Even with the mighty DS and 6 and half years out, my mind has that vicious lose-gain-lose some more-gain even more imprinting.

My previous counselor has retired and I hate that trust building that takes so long with a new one. @JackieOnLine , you know any good self help books or other weapons?

If I recall, it is a mostly incurable disease. Under duress, those who suffer from this will PRETEND to cooperate with clean up attempts, but generally retrieve all the garbage that got tossed.

They see value where, by any objective measure, there is no value.

But that isn't what we do...this stuff had value and, to some, still does. It's just that, it went into the container yesterday, the container moves today, and we will probanly miss very little of it when we have no access to it, for months in a row. Makes me wonder why we are keeping it.

Part of mine is rooted in my age...my Mother and daddy were kids of the Depression and throwing anything away that could be reused was unheard of cause what if you needed it tomorrow? Part of it is rooted in sentimental values or saving your heritage.

I was in an antique store one day and overheard a couple talking about how their parents got rid of all the "old" stuff for new and now they were hunting for OLD stuff cause it meant more.

Hardest stuff to get rid of now are books...most book stores have gone under, even libraries are full of books that take up space when ebooks are becoming the common. I mean, I currently have over 2500 books on a Kindle that weighs less than 1/2 a lb? Hard bound books take up space and weigh a WHOLE lot more...I know cause while I have weeded thru MOST of my books and given them away over the last 3 decades of moving, the ones I have left still take up in excess of 20 damned book boxes when moving and who am *I* gonna pass them too? And adding 22 boxes of my daddy's library did NOT help matters.

K9, I can't think of anything right now. I remember a Bandster from OH who told me she sort of flirted with hoarding and it actually got her. I mean, she could see it happening but it kept getting worse.

it's a real THING, in other words.

I suspect it's like eating disorders or alcoholism: not the same approach is right for every person.

all I can offer is: if you want to talk about it on the internets, I will show up and join in. I have tons of room and not a ton of stuff but only from moving so much. I certainly have CLUTTER issues. it's stressful for me to see it, but the solution is in my brain and my behavior....

:juggling:

Part of mine is rooted in my age...my Mother and daddy were kids of the Depression and throwing anything away that could be reused was unheard of cause what if you needed it tomorrow? Part of it is rooted in sentimental values or saving your heritage.

I was in an antique store one day and overheard a couple talking about how their parents got rid of all the "old" stuff for new and now they were hunting for OLD stuff cause it meant more.

Hardest stuff to get rid of now are books...most book stores have gone under, even libraries are full of books that take up space when ebooks are becoming the common. I mean, I currently have over 2500 books on a Kindle that weighs less than 1/2 a lb? Hard bound books take up space and weigh a WHOLE lot more...I know cause while I have weeded thru MOST of my books and given them away over the last 3 decades of moving, the ones I have left still take up in excess of 20 damned book boxes when moving and who am *I* gonna pass them too? And adding 22 boxes of my daddy's library did NOT help matters.

Liz,

First, you don't own books...they own you. Get rid of the damned things! (And we need to get rid if Diana's shoe collection, I guess.)

Then, my situation is not an ungodly accumulation of stuff with questionable value, such as Mr. Sue's too many Civil War books. All he (and you?) can do with boxes of books is trip over them. The other day, he said he'd donate his to a library. I rudely explained tbat the library did not want his old books...tbe "Friends of tbe Library" might accept a donation and then try to sell them for 50¢ each. He looked hurt. But that's the truth.

For my part, I am emotionally involved with the bedroom furniture my grandmother bought in 1929, but who needs a double bed? And the Mid-Century Modern bedroom stuff my mom bought in 1959. And the maple bedroom furniture my mom bought with our "Indian Money," also mid-century. But I really don't need that many bedrooms. My sister doesn't want it. Her daughter is babysittng the maple stuff, but doesn't really need it. I also have my grandparents' dining room furniture, also circa 1929...which means that I have to buy a house with a damned dining room...even though we seldom "dine." (I think we have used that table twice in the past year, nce with my kid, once with Kirmy.)

My problem is not hoarding per se , it is buying a new Cuisinart coffee maker on sale when nothng is wrong with the current one, and then deciding I really wanted a Keurig. Great. Now I have three coffee makers. That weren't cheap. And they work. I have trouble finding homes fir the extras.

But...hoarding...I believe I have read that those who were deprived, as in the Great Depression, tend to blame the deprivation...but there are so many people of great wealth that have the same problem, the "I did without, back in the day," is often thought of as just an excuse.

The most famous documented case from a ways back are the Collyer Brothers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

article-2217953-1583F58A000005DC-821_634x515.jpg

Short version:
Yet no one could have known that they'd also been amassing 140 tons of trash. And in that heap the body of Homer was first found, dead from starvation. His brother Langley, however, was nowhere to be found. Police even went to Atlantic City to look for him, only to find that he had been buried in a mound of paper not ten feet from Homer. He'd been attempting to bring Homer, who was blind, his food, which consisted of over 100 oranges each week to attempt to bring back his sight. Yet Langley had set booby traps all over the house to keep out intruders and accidentally triggered a tripwire, crushing himself beneath a cascade of paper.

In addition to the two brothers, the following items were removed from the house: the jawbone of a horse, hundreds of yards of fabric, tens of thousands of books, human organs pickled in jars, the top of a horse-drawn carriage, 14 pianos, chandeliers, five violins, dressmaking dummies, paintings, statues, bowling balls, bicycles, guns, cameras, musical instruments, baby carriages, and all the newspapers since Homer had lost his sight in the hopes he would someday read them. There were also eight cats prowling around, and an infestation of rats.

Last edited:
I love books. I have a Nook and a Kindle and 4 big bookshelves full of books. I also have a few stacks of books that need a bookcase but first I need space to put another bookcase. Other than that, I don't have trouble getting rid of some things. :)

Liz,

First, you don't own books...they own you. Get rid of the damned things! (And we need to get rid if Diana's shoe collection, I guess.)

Then, my situation is not an ungodly accumulation of stuff with questionable value, such as Mr. Sue's too many Civil War books. All he (and you?) can do with boxes of books is trip over them. The other day, he said he'd donate his to a library. I rudely explained that the library did not want his old books...tbe "Friends of the Library" might accept a donation and then try to sell them for 50¢ each. He looked hurt. But that's the truth.

For my part, I am emotionally involved with the bedroom furniture my grandmother bought in 1929, but who needs a double bed? And the Mid-Century Modern bedroom stuff my mom bought in 1959. And the maple bedroom furniture my mom bought with our "Indian Money," also mid-century. But I really don't need that many bedrooms. My sister doesn't want it. Her daughter is babysittng the maple stuff, but doesn't really need it. I also have my grandparents' dining room furniture, also circa 1929...which means that I have to buy a house with a damned dining room...even though we seldom "dine." (I think we have used that table twice in the past year, once with my kid, once with Kirmy.)
I CAN'T do anything with my daddy's collection until his probate is closed. And that is over 22 boxes. MOST will either go the the Friends of the Library OR to a rare book dealer. As to Mr. Sue's Civil War collection, too bad he can't donate it a university history dept or library. (I think like that cause my next door neighbor teaches Civil War history in a local college).

As to MY collection, they are all on shelves which I DO have room for in this house. Over half were my Mother's cookbooks. Three of them are the Joy of Cooking, different publishing dates. And four are the Betty Crocker ones...different publishing dates too...one is older than I am and it's interesting to read...no "healthy for you" type recipes in those old ones!

I understand the furniture stuff. Just got my grandmother's china cabinet that my daddy had. It is one of only two made by a local furniture maker back in 1945 and the other one was made for the DuPonts. A few pieces I am just babysitting til my sister in FL comes up this fall and takes them home or arrange for my "handyman" (and that is really not the best title for him) to take them to her. I also have a double bed...it was my great gandparents set...dating back to the late 1800's. I replaced my dining room set with a gateleg table that was also my grandmother's kitchen table. (had to have it fixed but so worth it). We WERE looking at a desk when my daddy died so ended up with his...executive size WITH a credenza. I honestly have no issue getting rid of newer stuff. It's the antiques with family connections I have trouble with but with one sister 17 years younger than me and another 21 years younger with as much a sense of family history for my daddy's side, I'm not worried about the furniture. I just have to dust until I die!

But there isn't a surface in this house that doesn't have CLUTTER adorning the surface. I get on a wild hair and fill up the recycle bin! Just haven't gotten the wild hair yet.

And we are "selling" some of the newer stuff for next to nothing (just enough so it's not charity) to a lady starting over but until we get the driveway resealed and have a weekend handy (she can't do it during the week) it's stored upstairs, that will all be gone to a new home making someone else happy.

I WAS in the middle of re purposing a very old door into a headboard when all hell broke loose with our plumbing and that took front and center for the last two months. The resulting water leak turned our basement on it's EARS! We still have stuff all over the place.

Latest posts

Back