OK, Here it is...How I'm "Really Doing"....The Expounded Version! Part I

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
OK, first off…I have been holding back a little on my post-surgery updates and been just kind of lurking on purpose for several reasons. This post is going to be very long and therefore I will break it up in to two parts.

As said there are a few reasons why I’ve not given updates, the first one being my complete inability until recently to comprehend what has been happening to me since my surgery, so I thought it best to allow as much time as possible to pass to get some more pieces of this rather bizarre puzzle. The 2nd reason is I DID NOT want to say how well I was really doing is because it feels like bragging (and that’s not my style, I hate braggers) and more importantly, I realize my progress has NOT been normal and I feel for some of our other members whom have not been lucky enough to have such an easy recovery time.

After a lot of soul searching and thought, I have come to the conclusion that I/we ALL have an obligation to tell our story, good and bad, so that we pay forward to those coming after us as those before us did for us when we were pre-ops. Ive learned SO much about the DS and WLS in general by reading what other people have posted and went in to the surgery extremely well informed and therefore more prepared. In essence, science is neither good nor bad, it is all just data points and missing information skews the perceptions for everyone. I also realize that many folks only post on these boards when things are not going so well to get help and I feel like the pre-ops also need to see the success stories, so…please bear with me folks, because I got one hell of a story to tell! As said, I’m breaking this up in to two posts, 1st one being How well I’m doing and the 2nd one, Can I explain why I’m doing so well?

As of today, I am 11 days post-op. My recovery so far has been nothing short of miraculous, spectacular, and un-explainable. From the very first day of surgery, I had minimal pain, no nausea, no adverse side effects etc. The pain was more of dis-comfort and it just felt like I had done a bunch of sit-ups. Surgery was on a Tuesday and I went home on Thursday. I was tired and rested a lot in my recliner on Friday but went on two walks each day 1/8 mile each. By Saturday/Sunday my bowels starting working and had diarrhea for two days but have been normal since. By Sunday, I had so much extra energy I could no longer sleep around and be lazy (which I missed…lol). On Sunday, just FIVE days after surgery, I went to Sam’s, the grocery store, did laundry and cleaned the house, did NOT lift stuff though. I was told to walk as much as I could, so I did NOT en-danger myself. I thought this would tire me, but it did not. On Monday, I did the same thing again and was actually getting insomnia. My energy level is OFF THE CHARTS! I cut my thyroid medication in half and still could not get much sleep. On Wednesday, I saw Dr. Wilson for my post-surgical follow-up visit, day 8. Dr. Wilson said he has never seen any bariatric patient of any kind recover from surgery like this in his 20+ yrs of practice, especially a DS patient. He said it is un-precedented and that his whole staff is talking about. He said I am at the place where most DS patients are at the 3-4 week level.

On Wednesday, I completely stopped taking my thyroid meds so that I could maybe get some sleep. My energy levels are still through the roof, but at least I am able to get some sleep. Today is Saturday, day 11 and yesterday I did all the same things, went shopping, did laundry, cleaned the house etc. I also started just eating a little pureed soup and for the next week or so, am adding that in to my diet as well as the protein drinks. My pre-op weight loss was -17 lbs and I’ve lost -25 lbs total. It took me 90 days to lose the -17 lbs which equates to .17 lb per day and 11 days to lose the other -9 lbs (post-op) which equates to .81 lbs per day. The diet has been EXACTLY the same, so essentially, my weight loss algorithm has increased by a factor of X 4 or 400% because of the surgery. I do expect this current weight loss algorithm to be reduced by X2 or 200% once I start eating solid food again and should equate to around .5 lbs per day which is about normal DS weight loss during the WL stage.

Not only are my energy levels off the charts, I feel alive again, like everything is working and in harmony. I feel at least 20 years younger and am in an incredible happy mood. At first I thought it was just the euphoria of surviving a major surgery, the pain meds etc. I tried for days to just write this off, but the science and the facts are just too compelling. Also, ALL my other pains are essentially gone. My arthritic back pain, my soreness, my stiffness, etc. If you go back and look at one of my last pre-surgery posts, I am complaining about the severity level of my overall body and back pain because they had to take me off NSAID’s before surgery. At first, I just thought the no pain thing was from all the surgical meds still in me, but it’s been 11 days now and I haven’t had a pain med since day two, 9 days ago, so that can’t possibly be the reason.

So, this is how I feel and is how I’m REALLY doing. I was afraid to post it too early for all those other reasons, but also because I thought the good feelings would be short lived and would diminish, and…they still might. I sure flippin hope not!! Anyway, part II is up next which will give my theories as to why and how I think I feel this good so quickly.

I think that's wonderful...and yes it's important for people to know that not everybody has a rough time right after surgery.
I've always had a very easy time of it with every surgery I've had.
The biggest issue for me with my revision was that drain tube I had the first couple of days. As soon as that was out, I was great. I only had narcotic pain meds for the first two days via my IV..after that it was just OTC stuff.
Let's see...had my surgery on Friday....spent Sunday through Tuesday walking. I spent more time walking than I spent in that hospital bed. All through the hospital, up and down the streets and around the block..just walking walking walking. I flew home the following Wednesday...that was a LOOOONG day. Thursday we had out of town company arriving so I cooked them dinner. Friday we took them to a local craft fair where we walked around for a few hours. Saturday night was my company Christmas party..I even danced a little bit. Everybody was amazed that I had just had surgery a week before. Monday I was back to work.
Never had any issues with pain, didn't have any problems with nausea, or problems drinking, eating, or vomiting, etc.
The only problem I've had is constipation.
I can't say that I had excess energy...things did tire me a bit easier and I did go through a period of pretty bad fatigue a month-6 weeks in...but I do have low iron and I know that's the biggest cause. That has gotten better though.

I guess we're lucky...I don't know. I think both of us were extremely well prepared going in and I do think that makes a difference. Plus I went in with a very positive attitude and EXPECTED my recovery to be just like it was. I didn't even entertain the thought of issues and I didn't look for any!

I'm very happy for you that you've had the experience you've had! May the rest of your journey be equally as wonderful!

I think that's wonderful...and yes it's important for people to know that not everybody has a rough time right after surgery.
I've always had a very easy time of it with every surgery I've had.
The biggest issue for me with my revision was that drain tube I had the first couple of days. As soon as that was out, I was great. I only had narcotic pain meds for the first two days via my IV..after that it was just OTC stuff.
Let's see...had my surgery on Friday....spent Sunday through Tuesday walking. I spent more time walking than I spent in that hospital bed. All through the hospital, up and down the streets and around the block..just walking walking walking. I flew home the following Wednesday...that was a LOOOONG day. Thursday we had out of town company arriving so I cooked them dinner. Friday we took them to a local craft fair where we walked around for a few hours. Saturday night was my company Christmas party..I even danced a little bit. Everybody was amazed that I had just had surgery a week before. Monday I was back to work.
Never had any issues with pain, didn't have any problems with nausea, or problems drinking, eating, or vomiting, etc.
The only problem I've had is constipation.
I can't say that I had excess energy...things did tire me a bit easier and I did go through a period of pretty bad fatigue a month-6 weeks in...but I do have low iron and I know that's the biggest cause. That has gotten better though.

I guess we're lucky...I don't know. I think both of us were extremely well prepared going in and I do think that makes a difference. Plus I went in with a very positive attitude and EXPECTED my recovery to be just like it was. I didn't even entertain the thought of issues and I didn't look for any!

I'm very happy for you that you've had the experience you've had! May the rest of your journey be equally as wonderful!

Thxs sweety, I'm so happy for you're progress too!....BUT.....Do remember...you are (or were) a "Super Absorber" too of minimal caloric intake...maybe my "Worst case/Best results" theory somewhat applies to you also???

I loved your post ! It is true, so many horror stories of rough recovery and few post when things go so well and smooth. You have done remarkably well ! Just wait the ride keeps on getting better as things change. It's one of heck of a ride down the scale. Glad you are have a wonderful start on the slide down the scale.

I also had a super easy recovery from an open DS at the age of 52. 91/2 years later it is still a miracle. You go and continue to count your many blessings!

I am so happy for you that you are doing so well. It is wonderful to read about such a positive experience. I have to say though, even if my leg fell off in addition to the discomfort I felt post-op, I would still have gotten my DS.

Hi Rob! Your story is important and absolutely you need to share it! I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing! So wish I had your experience and energy! Don't be overdoing it on the chores. You need to milk this a little more!! When else will you get the chance. Lol! :D

Latest posts

Back