Please tell me I’m not crazy

BNGgramy

Has anyone else been diagnosed with narcolepsy since they had surgery? Before GS in 2019 I never napped or just straight passed out for no reason. At first I thought it was just my body healing and adjusting to its new reality. Yet as time went by it continued and got worse. Yea I’ve done the sleep studies. Three to be exact. My original doctor spent a year doing all sorts of tests and nothing was wrong with me. Nothing explained why this was happening to me and that when we talked about narcolepsy. Yes I have sleep apnea, yes I have a cpap machine ( that I have been using for 18 years now) and yes up until I went a week without it and slept better than I had in years I was 99-95% compliant. I’ve actually had one for over ten years. But my apnea like everything else got better after surgery. Unexpectedly my doctor took a leave of absence and was gone so long I had to get another doctor. I’m a chronic pain patient and yes I take some rather serious medication but once again I’ve been taking these meds way before I even thought about surgery. I also take psych meds but once again I’ve taken them for years. I can’t been the only one to have this happen to them.

You aren’t crazy. You just haven’t pulled the right string yet. No, I don’t know which one it could be.

I would look at all your prescription medications for side effects, even rare ones. Has your bariatric surgeon gone over your labs, has your primary care? Make sure your results are better than normal except B6 and PTH, Those need to be low normal.

Look at your full iron panel including ferritin.

Hi @BNGgramy, I agree new look at your prescriptions makes sense, particularly given that your weight likely has decreased sigificantly. Weight, age and liver/kidney function can impact the dose you need for certain medicines. Also, it is important to consider whether your doses have increased or the combination of medicines you have changed to manage increasing pain levels or tolerance. Hoping you find the cause and get resolution soon!

My original doctor spent a year doing all sorts of tests and nothing was wrong with me. Nothing explained why this was happening to me and that when we talked about narcolepsy. Yes I have sleep apnea, yes I have a cpap machine ( that I have been using for 18 years now) and yes up until I went a week without it and slept better than I had in years I was 99-95% compliant. I’ve actually had one for over ten years. But my apnea like everything else got better after surgery. Unexpectedly my doctor took a leave of absence and was gone so long I had to get another doctor. I’m a chronic pain patient
oh, boy. let me just say there is a lot of stuff Western Medicine is good at. But there is also a lot of stuff WM is NOT good at and anything chronic is one big category. especially PAIN.

I hope you can find out whatever it is you need to know.

Latest posts

Back