Osteoporosis, Compression Fractures, Stenosis, Etc.

Spiky Bugger

Help! (And to lurkers who are wondering, my mom--who didn't have the DS--had some of these issues, too. Genetics are a factor. But the DS does cause challenges in treating this.)

So...I have osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, a couple of compression fractures and pain that, at times, is totally disabling. I've been mostly housebound,and loaded, for several months.

Then, just for fun:
•the Ortho says I need a laminectomy right now to relieve the pain; and,
•the Neuro (at the Spine Center) says "No! No surgery! The osteoporosis is causing fractures and the fractures are causing the pain. Work on reversing the osteoporosis and treat the pain."

I'll talk to my PCP about drugs. But most of them will probably exacerbate other problems I have. So I think I'd rather go with the COMB Protocol, which has better results than several of the Rx drugs. https://www.researchgate.net/public...Bone_Density_after_Micronutrient_Intervention

Of course...there's a DS-related complication. The protocol includes taking:

Elemental Magnesium--25 mg/day
Strontium Citrate--680 mg/day
(So far, so good)

But then, we need:
Vitamin K2 (non-synthetic MK-7 form)--100 ug/day
Vitamin D-3--2000 mg/day
Docosahexanoic Acid, DHA, from purified fish oil--250 mg/day.

I have no idea how much Vit K2 that is in MY body. The D-3 is a joke, since I need about 50-75 times as much as the protocol calls for. And HOW THE HELL MUCH fish oil do I have to consume to absorb 250 mg?

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

But then, we need:
Vitamin K2 (non-synthetic MK-7 form)--100 ug/day
Vitamin D-3--2000 mg/day
Docosahexanoic Acid, DHA, from purified fish oil--250 mg/day.

I have no idea how much Vit K2 that is in MY body. The D-3 is a joke, since I need about 50-75 times as much as the protocol calls for. And HOW THE HELL MUCH fish oil do I have to consume to absorb 250 mg?
For the K2, I would probably start there and if needed double it later if it’s a dry formula.
For the fish oil, try using these: https://www.puritan.com/coromega-br...iE-Eg-xzQzYemv1ATWl93gIvHcYWw0NIaAj_DEALw_wcB
They aren’t in a gel cap. But start somewhere and double if needed.

Double?

I'm still, after all these years, confused. As in...
I need 250 mg of DHA.
DHA is in oil.
I malabsorb about 80% of fats/oils.
So...wouldn't I need to take...
.2x = 250
X= 250/.2
X= 1250

(this space saved for DianaCox to correct my math)

It SEEMS like I'd need to take a whole bunch of ANY oil-based product to get the minimum amount needed...kinda like I need 100k-150k IU to get to where 2k takes the unaltered body.

No advice, just echoing Jackie's concern when you're absent. Understandable when I consider the drugs and the pain (which I can't imagine just know my <>interest in doing </>anything when I'm hurting is limited to the merest of daily activities of living).

Double?

I'm still, after all these years, confused. As in...
I need 250 mg of DHA.
DHA is in oil.
I malabsorb about 80% of fats/oils.
So...wouldn't I need to take...
.2x = 250
X= 250/.2
X= 1250

(this space saved for DianaCox to correct my math)

It SEEMS like I'd need to take a whole bunch of ANY oil-based product to get the minimum amount needed...kinda like I need 100k-150k IU to get to where 2k takes the unaltered body.
That’s why I said start somewhere and then adjust.

Whenever I take something oil based, I divide it up into multiple doses and take 5X what is recommended. That way I am pretty sure I am getting at least the minimum.
Hope you start feeling better!!!

Depot injection of D3 from Keshishian?

I can take Dry D3. I just can't find "dry fish oil."

(Btw, I read that Puerto Rico was where the injectible vitamins had been manufactured and that source was wiped out a year ago.)

Whenever I take something oil based, I divide it up into multiple doses and take 5X what is recommended. That way I am pretty sure I am getting at least the minimum.
Hope you start feeling better!!!

See...that's where I would go...but I'd live in fear I was ODing on something...she mutters while sucking on her medically-necessary cannibis vape thing.

There are several fish oils we supposedly absorb better, and one is a creamy water miscible packet (I think coromega used to be dry, but it changed brands, or names or formulations. They are a bit different every time I order them) and then vectomega which is a dry tablet form. I've taken both, and take the dry ones now, but not sure I absorb much. At times I think it's easier to just take a lot of Barleans or Kirkland krill oil, and take about 5 times the dose it recommends. I'm with Munchkin, and don't think you can OD on it. Even when I take all of the above, there is no indication I take any fish oil at all.
I actually take everything on your list, either for kidney stones or bone health in general, and then just hope for the best with stuff that cant be tested like K2. My sympathies with the back stuff. Back pain is absolute bullshit. I did finally opt for surgery after trying every other option beforehand and not sure I'm a complete success story, but know plenty of people that were freed from pain. Every situation is different and it's good that even though you have different drs with very different plans, they each may have a viable answer, but hope you find the solution soon to the pain.

Latest posts

Back