Nuts

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Does anyone else make their own nut mixes? I like to buy the bulk bags from Costco and make my own funky flavors, but I can't get the seasonings to stick! They seem stuck at first, but after being portioned out into individual servings, they're practically naked! I've used a bunch of Pinterest recipes and none of them mention any type of "glue" and this doesn't happen with the commercial ones. Any ideas?

The surface of the nut is too dry for the 'stuff' to stick, right?

I would put some nuts in a small baggie and try adding a few drops of coconut oil. Shake to distribute the oil, then add the 'stuff'. Worth trying!

The coconut oil is one choice of oils to use however, if you don't roast them after adding any oil, you run the risk of them getting rancid pretty fast.

The few times I've done nut mixes myself, I've tossed them in olive oil, then seasonings, then toasted them in the oven for a bit.

I should've mentioned, I've tried different oils and butter and it helps the seasonings stick long enough to roast them, but not to really stay on afterward. And I always store my homemade ones in the fridge to keep them from going rancid.

Latest posts

Back