Newly considering revision and need some guidance

And where are their criteria, if any, for revisions?? You are seeking RNY to DS revision, right? Almost all policies have different and much more limited coverage for revisions. Many don't cover any revisions. You need to read further as the above criteria probably don't apply to you.

MISCELLANEOUS PROCEDURE COVERAGE STATEMENTS

• Repeat/Revision of bariatric surgery: may be considered medically necessary (when specifically included as a benefit or covered service in the member’s benefit plan, summary plan description or contract) only whenALL of the following criteria are met:

o Original surgery was considered a covered benefit of the member’s current plan, AND the repeat/revision of bariatric surgery is a covered benefit of the member’s current plan; AND

o For the original procedure, patient met all the screening criteria, including BMI requirements; AND

o The patient has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the original surgery; AND

o Significant complications or technical failure (e.g., break down of gastric pouch, slippage, breakage or erosion of gastric band, bowel obstruction, staple line failure, etc.) of the bariatric surgery has occurred that requires take down or revision of the original procedure that could only be addressed surgically; AND

o Patient is requesting reinstitution of an acceptable bariatric surgical modality.

• New bariatric surgery following a previous different bariatric procedure: A Roux-en-Y procedure following a previously approved vertical banded gastroplasty or laparoscopic adjustable banded gastroplasty is not eligible for coverage for patients who have been substantially noncompliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the original procedure.

Thank you Diana. It doesn't look like I will be able to get the DS covered. I'm not even certain they will cover anything since I paid for my RNY myself and not through insurance.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

No, I think you are misunderstanding. Your prior surgery has to be a TYPE that is covered by the plan. I don't know why, but I guess that means they won't repair gastric balloons, or some other stupid experimental procedures. You had an RNY, which is a procedure they cover, I assume you met the criteria for surgery when you had it, you have SOME evidence that you were compliant, and you're getting some sort of evidence of what's wrong with your RNY that needs fixing, right?

Yes, but I don't meet the requirements for DS, so they will likely only approve revision of the RNY. I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting their insurance to cover if their BMI was under 50. I asked, but it doesn't seem like anyone has.

Yes, but I don't meet the requirements for DS, so they will likely only approve revision of the RNY. I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting their insurance to cover if their BMI was under 50. I asked, but it doesn't seem like anyone has.
That issue can be fought.
BTW, my starting BMI was 35.2 and I am a virgin DS'er.

You may have said, but do you have sleep apnea, hypertension, high cholesterol or diabetes? If you have one of these comorbidity conditions and a BMI over 35 that seems to be the magic number for many insurance plans. My BMI was around 45.i believe but I had all the aforementioned. Don't give up.

I just had a $200 selfpaid consult with dr Ayoola only for him to tell me my insurance won't cover a DS and he won't do anything else. They won't even submit for a distal bypass and allow me to pay for the conversion of the pouch to the verticle sleeve out of pocket :( But they encouaged me to come in and pay for all the pretesting anyway....

I just had a $200 selfpaid consult with dr Ayoola only for him to tell me my insurance won't cover a DS and he won't do anything else. They won't even submit for a distal bypass and allow me to pay for the conversion of the pouch to the verticle sleeve out of pocket :( But they encouaged me to come in and pay for all the pretesting anyway....

What kind of Bull Shiiid is this?

Latest posts

Back