New Diet: grocery ads & coupons

Spiky Bugger

If you run out of things to do...consider this: if I follow the diets my doctors want me to follow, I will save money by using coupons and grocery ads...not for shopping for bargains, but by eating the ads and coupons.

Please look at these:
Low oxalate diet...for kidney stones:
http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-oxalate-diet.aspxP

Interstitial Cystitis diet... for a very cranky bladder:
http://www.ic-network.com/patient-resources/diet/the-ic-food-lists/

Low FODMAP diet...because the GI surgeon said so:
https://stanfordhealthcare.org/cont...nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf

I will probably be told to follow a low purine diet, as soon as the sore big toe gets diagnosed as gout:
http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-purine-diet.aspx

And then, of course, I should pay attention to my DS surgeon:
https://www.dssurgery.com/tag/diet/

So...there is nothing left to eat or drink, right?

I'm going to go eat a brownie and have some coffee, whilst humming "Poor, poor, pitiful me...," with apologies to Ms. Ronstadt.

I hadn't seen that diet blog from Ara but I was just debating the need for high fat intake with somebody on FB the other day and told them Doc did believe we need high fat. That link you posted is pretty much what he has told me in our many conversations and I wish I had that to have linked earlier in terms week when I was debating the need for high fat in our diets.

Regarding your diet well to quote Braveheart, yer fooked laddie! (obviously lassie in your case). :p

Knowing you I am sure you will figure it out.

This does not include EVERYTHING, but you get the idea..

I am not supposed to eat...

Artichokes, Beans, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chard, Eggplant, Escarole, Kale, Leeks, Mushrooms, Olives, Onions--including shallots, leeks, scallions--Parsley, Peppers, Spinach, Sugar Snap Peas, Summer Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes--including sauce and paste--Zucchini.

And I should limit...
Asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, canned peas/carrots, corn, lettuce, vegetable soup.

And don't eat...
Apples, applesauce, apricots, avocados, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, canned fruit, coconut, cranberries, dates, dried fruits, elderberries, figs, fruit cocktail, gooseberries, grapefruit, guava, lemon, mandarin oranges, mango, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, pineapple, plums, persimmons, raspberries, strawberries, tangerines, watermelon.

Do not eat...
Liver, scallops, cashews, beans, black eyed peas, lentils, miso, pistachios, soybeans.

Do not drink/eat...
Beer, tea, chocolate milk, cocoa, coffee, grape juice, tangerine juice, tomato juice, grape juice, grapefruit juice, milk, cream, sour cream, broth, bouillon, consume, ice cream, tea, carbonated beverages, goat's milk, cow's milk, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, high lactose dairy, yogurt.

And don't eat...cereal (bran/fiber), crisp bread, grits, pretzels, wheat bran, wheat germ, whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour, pancakes, french toast, biscuits, muffins, doughnuts, barley, rye flour products, gluten free spelt.

And, of course, no...
Cakes, pies, french fries, vinegar, MSG, chili, garlic salt, hummus, molasses, honey, and any nut butters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's a lot of nope. I hope you can do some trial and error and find how much of various things you can eat without crossing over to "too much."

Meat and cheese still seem to be on the list ...

Phook Dat!

Seriously I could get by without a big portion of that list because fruit and I have never been good friends but scallops, cashews, almonds, cakes, doghnuts, pies, cereal, dairy... .I wouldn't be able to give those up. I suspect you are a little like me as well in that being told you can never eat or do somethin is pretty much a guarantee that I will have to eat or do it.

I really do hope that you get some relief from these stones and the other issues as well, and that most of this list is BS or at least you can cheat on occasion without major ill effects.

I hadn't seen that diet blog from Ara but I was just debating the need for high fat intake with somebody on FB the other day and told them Doc did believe we need high fat.

Yes @DSRIGGS every time I see Dr.K he reminds me to not listen to Mrs. And Mr Google as he calls the internet. He strongly belives we should not eat large amounts of fat and no artificial sweetners.

Yep me too and he is right. I don't do a tin of fat because too much makes a shit volcano,, but I really struggle with artificial sweeteners. I love coffee with cream and sugar. But it takes so much real sugar to sweeten it for me and I drink too much coffee to have that much sugar...so it is 3 packs of splenda per mug for me . I know I need to stop but just can't so I will probably sprout a flipper any day now.

Yep me too and he is right. I don't do a tin of fat because too much makes a shit volcano,, but I really struggle with artificial sweeteners. I love coffee with cream and sugar. But it takes so much real sugar to sweeten it for me and I drink too much coffee to have that much sugar...so it is 3 packs of splenda per mug for me . I know I need to stop but just can't so I will probably sprout a flipper any day now.

I have problems with artificial sweetners Also. Hate just plain water uunless I'm dehydrated. SF Hawaiian punch and Crystal light are my saving grace especially since I can't do carbonation and really haven't 16 years. In 16 years only 2 mouths full. I guess we all have our weaknesses. Lol

That's a lot of nope. I hope you can do some trial and error and find how much of various things you can eat without crossing over to "too much."

Meat and cheese still seem to be on the list ...
So far...and maybe...until the toe is actually diagnosed as gout? Here's a Mayo Clinic suggested menu for gout...items not prohibited by OTHER diets are in black. If I were to follow it, with total daily consumption consisting of 5-6 ounces of animal protein and one cup of melon, I would be very thin, right?

A sample menu
Here's a look at what you might eat during a typical day on a gout diet:

Breakfast
  • Whole-grain, unsweetened cereal with skim or low-fat milk
  • 1 cup fresh strawberries
  • Coffee
  • Water
Lunch
  • Roasted chicken breast slices (2 ounces) on a whole-grain roll with mustard
  • Mixed green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing
  • Skim or low-fat milk
  • Water