Nail streaks??

Clematis

Any clue why my nails have white stripes? This started about a year ago (I’m 2 yrs post-op). My manicurist says it’s some sort of vitamin deficiency but I’m finding nothing on Google.
2D1DF1B3-1825-4B78-8B8B-A9F9A726C54B.jpeg

I just read this on Google: parallel white lines that extend all the way across the nails, known as Muehrcke's lines, are a sign of low levels of protein in the blood

Yeah I saw that too but my stripes are vertical, not horizontal like Muehrcke's Lines.

These lines are also on my toenails.

Dr. Google and I are going to guess "superficial white onychomycosis" - a fungal infection. If you look at images on Google, you will appreciate that your nails are not badly affected, and there is a treatment for it.
PT01Nails3.png

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/how-treat-dystrophic-nails
"Superficial white onychomycosis. The white powdery material one sees with this type of onychomycosis is present on the dorsal aspect of the nail plate. Clinicians can scrape this off with a scalpel blade. One sees this condition in patients in tropical climates and it is typically caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes or non-dermatophyte molds."​

You'll probably need to see a dermatologist and get a script for an anti-fungal.

I have psoriasis. My nails look like that.
MrSue also has psoriasis, but not the nail problem. He's about to try the Laser treatments. (He's used Embrel, Humira and Otezla, in addition to topicals. They all work, just not quite as well as he needs. Any experience there?)

Dr. Google and I are going to guess "superficial white onychomycosis" - a fungal infection. If you look at images on Google, you will appreciate that your nails are not badly affected, and there is a treatment for it.
PT01Nails3.png

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/how-treat-dystrophic-nails
"Superficial white onychomycosis. The white powdery material one sees with this type of onychomycosis is present on the dorsal aspect of the nail plate. Clinicians can scrape this off with a scalpel blade. One sees this condition in patients in tropical climates and it is typically caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes or non-dermatophyte molds."​

You'll probably need to see a dermatologist and get a script for an anti-fungal.
Not a podiatrist? I ask because my podiatrist LOVES doing procedures on feet/toes and this looks like something she'd have fun with. Oh wait...OP mentioned fingernails, huh? Never mind.

Enbrel: worked for years, then didn’t. I’m on Otezla and it’s OK. Prednisone for the arthritis when needed.

There was one more home injectable I used for a few months to no avail

Yeah I guess I need to talk to the dermo.

I first saw something on my big toenails before DS -- less striped and more blotchy and powdery. I Googled and found the fungus you did @DianaCox . My manicurist for 12 years insisted I did not have fungus and was upset that I might be suggesting that her shop was anything less than clean. (She is a CRAZY clean germaphobe. She says if she sees fungus on a client's nails she makes them leave.) Never the less I tried the People's Pharmacy remedy of dipping my toenails in Listerine and rubbing in Vick's Vaporub but noticed no difference after several months. (I keep polish on them so I don't have to look at it.) It has never progressed beyond the big toes or turned yellow. They do not look anywhere as icky as the Google photo.

The fingernails are completely different: not powdery, just white lines. Everything I find on vertical white stripes says it's just (gag) AGE related. But it came on almost overnight on all fingernails so "age" doesn't make sense to me. I keep my nails polished so, like toes, don't have to look at them. (They're not ridged even though it may look like that in the photo. My mother's finger and toe nails were very ridged, thick and yellow. Glad I don't have that.)

Another pill to take...

@Clematis as a cosmetologist I've had to study/deal with a lot about nail health. For what it's worth, this does not seem like the usual age related nail issues I see.

Do you do something that causes a lot of friction on your nails? I've seen something similar to this on someone's toenails who was a dancer. Other than that, I know iron deficiency can cause nail problems.

In any case, it looks like you're in for a trip to the doctor. Keep us posted!!

Yeah I guess I need to talk to the dermo.

I first saw something on my big toenails before DS -- less striped and more blotchy and powdery. I Googled and found the fungus you did @DianaCox . My manicurist for 12 years insisted I did not have fungus and was upset that I might be suggesting that her shop was anything less than clean. (She is a CRAZY clean germaphobe. She says if she sees fungus on a client's nails she makes them leave.) Never the less I tried the People's Pharmacy remedy of dipping my toenails in Listerine and rubbing in Vick's Vaporub but noticed no difference after several months. (I keep polish on them so I don't have to look at it.) It has never progressed beyond the big toes or turned yellow. They do not look anywhere as icky as the Google photo.

The fingernails are completely different: not powdery, just white lines. Everything I find on vertical white stripes says it's just (gag) AGE related. But it came on almost overnight on all fingernails so "age" doesn't make sense to me. I keep my nails polished so, like toes, don't have to look at them. (They're not ridged even though it may look like that in the photo. My mother's finger and toe nails were very ridged, thick and yellow. Glad I don't have that.)

Another pill to take...

I showed your photo to my podiatrist this morning. She agreed w/Diana's diagnosis and reminded me that she only does feet, so a dermatologist might be best.

You're welcome...lol

Sorry - the doc will probably want to get a scraping for diagnosis. Take your nail polish off a couple of days before going to the doctor, and a couple of days before you needed a new mani/pedi anyway.

Latest posts

Back