My Surgery Report Makes Me Nervous

oh, boy - I hope so. damn surgeon, what is WITH these men? I can't believe they go INSIDE your body and think they can do whatever they please.

What is really eating at me is the fact that I had a very sincere talk with him before surgery that led him to agree to the 100cm CC. I was so stoked, I even posted here about it. And after the surgery, one of the first things I asked was if I had been given the 100cm. They assured me I had.
I sent him a polite, yet slightly confrontational email. I really hope I get a response soon. Although, I said earlier... At this point, he could just say that it was a paperwork error, and how would I know any different? I'm so beyond frustrated.

So, this is the response I just got. I'm frustrated because he never said they commonly do 200 cm CC, he said he only does 300cm. So that doesn't make sense. I don't feel much better at all.

Attachments

• 2017-08-05 12.25.28.jpg
    2017-08-05 12.25.28.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 53
It is possible that this explanation is true. Some surgeons do use templates for operative notes that they perform frequently.
At some point, when you are sufficiently healed, and if you remain concerned (as I suspect you will) you could request that the surgeon order testing to verify the length of your common channel. An upper GI WITH small bowel follow through would show the alimentary limb and common channel. The BP limb would not be seen as contrast wouldn't go there, but that isn't relevant to your concerns.
Or, you could trust his explanation about the operative report being inaccurate and his correction of it being accurate, especially if you have the weight loss you expect. It is a plausible explanation, and it really would be sad if he told you after the surgery that he did the 100 cm cc as promised and he did otherwise. I'm hopeful that his explanation is the truth.

@Larra I am also hopeful that his explanation is true. I don't know that insurance would cover the procedure to verify, and I know I can't pay for that out of pocket. I do understand the use of templates, and I can definitely understand making a mistake. The few irregularities are what made me uneasy. All I can do is trust that he is the genuine person I took him for, and chalk it up to "Shit happens".

I typed out a long response but I'll just say this: see if you can get your PCP to get your pipes mapped by insurance, or pay for it out-of-pocket. It will set your mind at ease - no matter what you find.

Also, templates. A long rant about templates.

Concerning. I hope it is a typo using the template as he said. Unfortunately using templates is absolutely necessary with today's EHR. Documentation is a necessary evil and most providers much rather be doing the direct patient care. It's not an excuse as these notes are of course important and I'm glad he will write an addendum. I think if he does that I wouldn't worry too much because that would be a very obvious deliberate lie if you found out otherwise. It is more risky to do that than to have lied to you about the CC all along.

So, with his new typo (11) I wonder if he means he gave you a 110 cm? Please tell us you replied to get him to clarify what he means here. As a PhD in English, the GAWDAWFUL writing skills of those in the medical professions never ceases to amaze me. There is no excuse for his failure to correctly articulate the specifics of your procedure. BE PISSED.

Latest posts

Back