My Surgery Report Makes Me Nervous

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all! I had an appointment today, and during the appt, I asked for my surgery report since I never received one. They gave it to me, and there are a few numbers that make me a little nervous.
Some of you may remember, my surgeon wanted to do a 300cm CC, and I discussed with him why I wanted a 100 cm CC. After hearing my reasoning, he agreed to the 100 cm.
Also, even though this is Duke, and supposed to be super advanced, my surgery report says that I took a 1 hour class on the risks of having a gastric bypass. In all fairness, I did.(Insert eye roll here)
Anyways, I'm trying not to freak out because I understand that I may not fully understand what I'm reading; so I'm hoping y'all will be able to translate for me and help me out. Miss @Larra would you mind checking this out, too, please?
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 20170804_152002.jpg
    20170804_152002.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170804_152016.jpg
    20170804_152016.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You have a 2 anastomosis DS with a 200 cm common channel. I think your surgeon has some explaining to do.

Holy Shit. That's what I thought I read. What should I do!? I mean, I specifically told him I didn't want the surgery unless I could have a 100 cm CC. I have a lot of feelings right now, to be honest.
I trusted him to alter my body the way he agreed to. I even verified after my surgery that he did indeed give me a 100cm, and I was told he did.
The more I think about it, the more I upset I'm getting. Is there something I can do about this?

Last edited:
I think you need to speak directly with the surgeon. It's possible he just dashed off an operative report with the numbers he uses routinely all the time and forgot, as he was dictating, that yours is 100 cm. Or, it's possible that he either forgot to make your cc 100 cm as promised, or just decided not to. I have no way of knowing, and neither do you. He's the only one who knows.

He told me before that he exclusively performs a "cookie cutter" DS on all of his patients with a 300cm CC, so if he was dictating out of habit, I would imagine that's what the report would have read. I messaged him through the online chart. Now I wait!
Thank you for your help.

@DianaCox I honestly don't remember if I signed anything. The entire presentation was specifically about RNY, and I remember being aggravated that I had been required to be there. At that time, I don't know that I even had the full knowledge about the CC length. I had so many appointments all at once, I honestly don't remember. All I remember is thinking how ridiculous it was that the "Warning and consent" video had nothing to do with me.

Yes, those documents are part of your medical record. You will have to sign a release but you are entitled to copies. There may be a small copying fee.

Yes, those documents are part of your medical record. You will have to sign a release but you are entitled to copies. There may be a small copying fee.
You may also be asked to present a picture ID. I never released medical records to a patient without one. There also might be a delay. A well organized records department should be able to release them immediately. How long it will take to copy your records will depend on law and request load.

My hospital, and surgeon, use Cerner Health as a web front end. All of my medical records are in there.

Perhaps your hospital, and/or surgeon, use it? I had to get a code from reception to sign up the first time.

Latest posts

Back