Milk after surgery?

i have eaten plenty of dairy but straight milk I did not even bother with till like 18 months out and thankfully no issues. I still dont have it very often since its 13g carbs to a cup, but if I am having a damn cookie or a slice of cake I want ice cold milk with it :D

I do not like drinking milk. But now cheese, I love. I am afraid of the lactose intolerance once I have the DS.
I'm extremely sensitive to lactose and I eat cheese like it's going out of style! I currently have at least 7 different kinds in the fridge right now :biggrin:

From Wikipedia-
Dairy products[edit]
Lactose is a water-soluble substance. Fat content and the curdling process affect tolerance of foods. After the curdling process, lactose is found in the water-based portion (along with whey and casein), but not in the fat-based portion. Dairy products that are "reduced-fat" or "fat-free" generally have slightly higher lactose content. Low-fat dairy foods also often have various dairy derivatives, such as milk solids, added, increasing the lactose content.

Milk
Human milk has a high lactose content, around 9%. Unprocessed cow milk is about 4.7% lactose. Unprocessed milk from other bovidscontains a similar fraction of lactose (goat milk 4.7%,[36] buffalo 4.86%,[37] yak 4.93%,[38] sheep 4.6%)

Butter
The butter-making process separates the majority of milk's water components from the fat components. Lactose, being a water soluble molecule, will largely be removed, but will still be present in small quantities in the butter unless it is also fermented to produce cultured butter. Clarified butter, however, contains very little lactose and is safe for most lactose-intolerant people.

Yogurt, frozen yogurt and kefir
People can be more tolerant of traditionally made yogurt than milk, because it contains lactase produced by the bacterial cultures used to make the yogurt. Frozen yogurt will contain similarly reduced lactose levels.

Cheeses
Traditionally made hard cheeses, and soft ripened cheeses may create less reaction than the equivalent amount of milk because of the processes involved. Fermentation and higher fat content contribute to lesser amounts of lactose. Traditionally made Emmental orCheddar might contain 10% of the lactose found in whole milk. In addition, the ageing methods of traditional cheeses (sometimes over two years) reduce their lactose content to practically nothing.[39] Commercial cheeses, however, are often manufactured by processes that do not have the same lactose-reducing properties. Ageing of some cheeses is governed by regulations;[40] in other cases there is no quantitative indication of degree of ageing and concomitant lactose reduction, and lactose content is not usually indicated on labels.

Sour cream
If made in the traditional way, this may be tolerable, but most modern brands add milk solids.[41]

Examples of lactose levels in foods
As industry standardization has not been established concerning lactose content analysis methods (non-hydrated form or the mono-hydrated form),[42] and considering that dairy content varies greatly according to labeling practices, geography and manufacturing processes, lactose numbers may not be very reliable. The following table contains a guide to the typical lactose levels found in various foods.[43]

Latest posts

Back