Milk after surgery?

I had whole milk from the beginning with no trouble, but I don't think my experience is normal. A lot of people have some degree of intolerance. I'd try it very gradually.

I haven't been able to drink milk since I was a kid, I do lactaid or cream. I would say you should try it, but make sure it's at a time when you can prepare for possible stomach upset (ie- make sure you're at home with no plans for a few hours and have air freshener and gas x handy :) )

I haven't tried milk yet. I have never liked milk so it is no loss except for in my fat free lattes! I have tried coconut milk (pretty good with a dash of cream to give it body), almond milk (I didn't like this it tastes like almonds) and soy (I didn't like soy either, aftertaste!). All were the unsweetened versions. I don't like my cappuccino or latte flavored or sweet.

All this trying of milks and I really can't tolerate my espresso type drinks yet anyway. My tummy is still too tender. The next one I will try though is Lactaid!

When did you guys try milk? Should i be trying whole milk? How long are we suppose to wait to try it?
I had been given 1% in the hospital after surgery...to ME, :Rant-On: 1% is NOT milk...it's at best, white WATER!:Rant-Off:

I got home and the first thing I did was make a protein shake with whole milk...Lord love a duck, I have NEVER been so miserable!

Started with the lactaid pills. That allowed me to eat yogurt further out.

Now, I still take a lactaid pill every morning...I use half & half as my milk in cooking, use it in my coffee, etc. I eat yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese...but I still can not handle plain drinking milk. I wish I could.

I'm the un-success story. I am completely milk intolerant. For some reason I can have real butter but that is all. No cheese, no milk, no heavy cream, no cottage cheese, no yogurt. I'm going to try amish cheese one of these days when I can be home in the bathroom for a couple of days. I had no allergies or intolerances prior to surgery but I'd do it all over again, a thousand times. I miss cheese, I miss being able to add the gooey richenss to my food. I don't miss waiting to die of obesity. It was an excellent trade.

I drank milk from early on to add to my protein and hydration. It took me a bit of time to adjust my taste buds from skim to whole milk and being aware of the carbs. I still drink a glass of milk from time to time to wash down cheesecake. I prefer the taste of water or crystal lite most of the time. And of course my diet coke.

I haven't tried milk yet. I have never liked milk so it is no loss except for in my fat free lattes! I have tried coconut milk (pretty good with a dash of cream to give it body), almond milk (I didn't like this it tastes like almonds) and soy (I didn't like soy either, aftertaste!). All were the unsweetened versions. I don't like my cappuccino or latte flavored or sweet.

All this trying of milks and I really can't tolerate my espresso type drinks yet anyway. My tummy is still too tender. The next one I will try though is Lactaid!

I have never ever been a milk drinker...but with the whole sickening sweetness deal we have going after the surgery Lactaid whole milk has been awesome. I love it over ice first thing when I wake up and my stomach is empty. I also use it to take my multi vitamins coz it coats and soothes - no rot-gut feeling anymore.

I never had a problem with whole milk until my DS. I can't do anything now except HWC (heavy whipping cream) without getting sick. The first week, I had to remove all whey concentrate from my protein supplements. I could only use whey ISOLATE. I had severe diarrhea whenever I got regular whey concentrate or regular milk.

Cheese, yogurt, sour cream, those do not bother me, never have. It looks like at over 4 years out, my lactose intolerance is permanent. It's not a problem.

I so wish I could do yogurt! The bacteria cultures are supposed to create natural lactase and so it *shouldn't* be a problem, but even with lactaid pills it still causes extreme discomfort for me. Bummer :cheeky-smiley-022:

I drink semi-skimmed, I do not notice any real trouble...any more than normal but I ve been lactose intolerant since I was 14 lol. I notice the effects are worse, the more fat said milk has.

Latest posts

Back