Medically Supervised Diet

Purple Frog

What is the purpose pre-op for insurance purposes?
Are they trying to see if you can lose weight via diet and, therefore, don't need surgery; or are they trying to see if you can follow directions?

I think it's a little of both..many give up when faced with that requirement and then the insurance is off the hook for paying for the surgery.

It's a game they play to see if you will give up. And the ASMBS has said it's not necessary. But it's a game they force you to play.

I had to do it twice - my insurance denied the first one, even though I was on prepackaged food for 1200 calories/day, provided receipts for said cardboard food deliveries, evidence of 30 lb. weight loss, etc. because they said I didn't visit my pcp enough during the period (only thrice....), so they didn't consider it "medically-supervised". The second go around, I went for weekly office visits and a liquid diet... Ugh!

It doesn't deter me, I just didn't know if I was supposed to be successful on it or not. Ha.
I am still not entirely sure what medically supervised is. I need to call insurance folks again tomorrow. I do know I need to see a nutrition at the same time, but I don't know if seeing ONLY a nutritionist counts.

Wow, @hilary1617, can't believe you had to do it twice!

@Purple Frog - Yeah, it was not fun. Also, the first go around, I was doing something legitimate - eating real food - low calorie. The second go round, I did something really unhealthy, which was to repeat a liquid diet designed only for short term use. My DS surgeon actually made me quit the diet for a month before surgery as he was concerned it was going to have detrimental effects, specifically impact to the good bacteria in my gut.

That said, I did what I had to do to get the DS approved. Took me 18 months of fighting and two unnecessary pre-op "diets", but that was well worth it in the end...

Anyway, I only mention it as warning, so that others don't have to suffer twice plus have everything delayed. If there is a pre-op diet requirement that you are trying to meet, make sure to read the fine print and learn exactly what will qualify as "medically-supervised diet" in the view of the insurer, so those efforts aren't wasted. It was a HUGE disappointment to me to find out that I had to do it a second time. My mandatory "medically-supervised diets" were also 6 months long, which is torture.

Specifically, the questions I would ask the insurer are: How frequently must I visit the doctor? Can I phone in my weight to the doctor's office or do I need to be weighed there? Is there a mandatory weight loss amount to demonstrate compliance with the diet? Would nutrisystem/Jenny Craig/Optifast/whatever count? Does the doctor need to provide counseling and demonstrate it in his/her notes? What will I need to provide as proof of compliance.

I know others have been successful at fighting the pre-op diet requirement with help from volunteer advocates / vets who are here on this board, but at the time I was going it alone and I just accepted it as a necessary evil. Hopefully those folks will be able to assist you!

@Purple Frog - Yeah, it was not fun. Also, the first go around, I was doing something legitimate - eating real food - low calorie. The second go round, I did something really unhealthy, which was to repeat a liquid diet designed only for short term use. My DS surgeon actually made me quit the liquid diet for a month before surgery as he was concerned it was going to have detrimental effects, specifically impact to the good bacteria in my gut.

That said, I did what I had to do to get the DS approved. Took me 18 months of fighting and two unnecessary pre-op "diets", but that was well worth it in the end...

Anyway, I only mention it as warning, so that others don't have to suffer twice plus have everything delayed. If there is a pre-op diet requirement that you are trying to meet, make sure to read the fine print and learn exactly what will qualify as "medically-supervised diet" in the view of the insurer, so those efforts aren't wasted. It was a HUGE disappointment to me to find out that I had to do it a second time. My mandatory "medically-supervised diets" were also 6 months long, which is torture.

Specifically, the questions I would ask the insurer are: How frequently must I visit the doctor? Can I phone in my weight to the doctor's office or do I need to be weighed there? Is there a mandatory weight loss amount to demonstrate compliance with the diet? Would nutrisystem/Jenny Craig/Optifast/whatever count? Does the doctor need to provide counseling and demonstrate it in his/her notes? What will I need to provide as proof of compliance.

I know others have been successful at fighting the pre-op diet requirement with help from volunteer advocates / vets who are here on this board, but at the time I was going it alone and I just accepted it as a necessary evil. Hopefully those folks will be able to assist you!

Latest posts

Back