Low carb granola

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Hey guys!
So in my hunt for a good low carb granola, I made this last night (with a few adaptations) and it came out really good! I added 1/4 cup of chia seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1 cup hazelnuts, 2 egg whites in place of the water and some extra sweetener. It's the closest I've gotten so far to real granola. I've been snacking on the chunks and plan to have the parts that didn't stay clumped up as well with some heavy cream kinda like granola cereal, mmmmm :) oh, and I cranked the oven to 400 for additional 5-10 mins at the end to get it nicely browned and crisp.

Low Carb Granola

Feel free to substitute any nuts or seeds you like in this recipe, but the flax meal is essential, and the coconut is helpful. These will absorb the liquids and this is what will form the clumps -- otherwise you just have toasted nuts and seeds with some flavoring. Because it is totally nuts and seeds, it is pretty rich. If you want to bulk it up, you can add or substitute some TVP (this would also add protein) or oatmeal (if your carb tolerance and diet plan allow).

Yield: 12 Servings

Ingredients:

1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw pecans
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup

Preparation:
1. Heat oven to 300 F. Cover baking sheet with sides with a silicon mat or greased parchment paper.
2. Roughly chop the nuts. You can do this in a food processor, but if you do, start with the harder nuts -- the almonds in this recipe or filberts (hazelnuts) if you use them. Once they are chopped up a bit you can add the softer nuts (walnuts, pecans). Otherwise the softer ones will become meal before the hard ones are chopped.
3. Melt the butter or coconut oil - you can microwave it in the bowl you're going to use for mixing (although you can mix right on the baking sheet), if you wish.
4. Mix the syrup and coconut oil or butter together.
5. Combine the nuts, coconut, seeds, and salt. If you're doing this on the baking sheet, add the water first and mix (hands work best), and then the oil/butter and syrup mixture. Otherwise, just combine it all in a bowl and turn out onto the baking sheet. Press into an even layer.
6. At this point, it's good to taste it. It's going to end up tasting a little less sweet, so judge your own desire for sweetness and add more if you want.
7. Bake for aprox 40 minutes. Twice during the baking, stir the mixture with a large spoon and press back down. After the second time, don't move it around any more. Bake until fragrant and lightly browned on the surface.
8. Let cool completely in pan. It will crisp as it cools. Store in sealed container. Serve with yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. If you like, add dehyrdrated blueberries or strawberries, such as Trader Joe's carries.

Make about 6 cups -- 12 servings.

Nutritional Information: Each serving has 4 grams effective carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber (10 grams total carbohydrate), 7 grams protein, and 292 calories.

Oh, bummer! Even chopped up in the food processor? That's what I did, made them all into something a little coarser than almond meal
It's a texture thing now...it gets stuck in the crevices and I can't always feel it. I am extremely anal about brushing my teeth now.

Ahhh, I thought you meant because if your jaw.
And 4k- I've loved to cook since I was a little girl. My mommy taught me well :D
It is due to my jaw...before jaw surgery I adored nuts...all kinds but pecans most of all. Now, I might eat ONE.

But it isn't cause of the "hardness"...I am able to chew just fine but it just doesn't feel right now. And nuts are the worst offenders.

I have a bunch of nuts that I was looking to do something with, and this sounds good. Going to try it this afternoon. Thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back