Looking for Ferritin on labs

Terri

Could it be called anything else? I can't find ferritin on my labs. I was going over my pre op labs and my iron is low, insert sarcastic shock here. My iron is a 47 with a range of 50-170 being normal. I have had it in the back of my head that I would probably need infusions. If taking taking 3 Vitamin C and 3 iron pills daily since November didn't get it up as Normie I doubt if it's going to come up much, if at all without infusions.

Edited to add: I have been borderline anemic my adult life. Also I have had ablation done and don't have periods anymore.

Last edited:
What iron pills do you take and at what dosage? I thought I was headed for infusions, but I finally got there with oral iron after 18 months.

Could it be called anything else? I can't find ferritin on my labs. I was going over my pre op labs and my iron is low, insert sarcastic shock here. My iron is a 47 with a range of 50-170 being normal. I have had it in the back of my head that I would probably need infusions. If taking taking 3 Vitamin C and 3 iron pills daily since November didn't get it up as Normie I doubt if it's going to come up much, if at all without infusions.

Edited to add: I have been borderline anemic my adult life. Also I have had ablation done and don't have periods anymore.

Terri - if you wouldn't mind sharing, what type of ablation did you have done? I feel like I am headed that way very quickly. Have had the worst periods of my life since delivery of my 3rd kid almost 3 years ago. Ablation is the next step if can't get under control pharmaceutically.
thanks!

@huneypie I take Nature made brand 3 tablets each are 65mg elemental iron, says equivalant to 325 ferrous iron. I have been taking them daily along with 3 Vitamin C for 8 months pre-op. I just had the DS on 6/12/2014.

@Jbandmmomma It was the Novasure ablation. I got lucky and have not had a single period since. Some people it doesn't work on.

@Terri mine was 46 at its lowest and I got back to within range on oral iron (it took me 18 months). I got there by doing 420mg of ferrous furmarate along with 250mg of vit C (I still have 1,000mg vit C with my lunch time bundle of vits too).

Try upping yours, it's worth doing even if you end up with infusions as you might as well try and feel a bit better/less bad while you wait.

BTW when you do get back in range, ignore your doc if he tells you that you no longer need iron as mine did!! :X3:

BTW you might want to try Proferrin if you don't succeed getting infusions. It's expensive and in the UK it's scary expensive, so I've not tried it, but people seem to do well with it, plus I think it's less awkward as to what food you can have it with as opposed to other iron (ie no dairy or nuts for an hour either side, BTW not everyone does no nuts, but I do - you'd have to check the pack to as to what they say).

Latest posts

Back