Lab results

newanatomy

Copied from another thread:

I have some puzzling lab results. Mostly, I think that I am just over-supplementing on a couple of things particularly iron and calcium. Easy fix, scale back, right? I need some better thinkers to help me interpret the results so that I can have an intelligent conversation with my PCP.

Unless noted, assume the value is in the normal range of results. Here they are, normal ranges noted in parenthesis:

Last year my PTH tripled to 76.2 (15 -65) so I upped my calcium and Vitamin D a bit this year it was normal at 42.8
Calcium was normal last year at 9.6, this year it is high at 10.9, (8.7 - 10.2)
Vitamin D was 70.1 last year, 130 6 months prior to this, and 54.3 this year, (30 - 100)

TBIC (250-450) mine is normal at 368
Iron Serum (35-155) last year it was normal at 62 now it is high at 178
Iron Saturation % (15 – 55) 48.4
Ferritin, Serum (Serial) (15 – 150) last year was 285, now 361

Creatinine, Serum (.57 - 1.00), pre op .8; six months post op, .63; last year .06; this year, .06

Phosphorus (2.5 - 4.5), last year 4.8, this year 5.1

ALT (SGPT) (0 - 32) last year high at 46, this year higher at 61

Hematocrit (38.0 - 44), Last year normal at 40.5, this year high at 45.3

TSH (.3 -3.00), Pre-op 2.6, six months post-op 2.56, last year low at 0.19, this year high at 3.32
Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct S (.80 – 1.9) normal at 1.28
T3, total (76-181) low at 75

I take Levothyroxine 75 Mcg for my thyroid. I think I was taking it too close to my iron last year so I spaced it out more.

On your iron...how often are you taking it? If every day, drop to 4 days a week and then adjust again when re-tested. Dh went from daily to 3 days a week, and now once a week...and he still runs high. Some people are just lucky. BUT keep in mind, it can also drop again later.

Drop a wee bit of your calcium til re-tested.

Add a few extra days of D so your PTH continues to close in on 15. Your D at 54.3 is in normal range but you want it up near 80.

On your iron...how often are you taking it? If every day, drop to 4 days a week and then adjust again when re-tested. Dh went from daily to 3 days a week, and now once a week...and he still runs high. Some people are just lucky. BUT keep in mind, it can also drop again later.

Drop a wee bit of your calcium til re-tested.

Add a few extra days of D so your PTH continues to close in on 15. Your D at 54.3 is in normal range but you want it up near 80.

Thanks, I cut both the iron and the calcium by about 25%. I will add an extra vitamin D or two per week.

Thanks, I cut both the iron and the calcium by about 25%. I will add an extra vitamin D or two per week.
How much D are you taking daily? An extra D tab once or twice a week probably isn't going to move much. I take 200k iu daily so for me an extra 50k a couple times a week would be peeing in the wind. If I drop to 40 I know for me it is injection time.

How are your A & K? I struggle with all my fat soluble vites, but as you know I have absorption issues so I am a special case compared to most.

How much D are you taking daily? An extra D tab once or twice a week probably isn't going to move much. I take 200k iu daily so for me an extra 50k a couple times a week would be peeing in the wind. If I drop to 40 I know for me it is injection time.

How are your A & K? I struggle with all my fat soluble vites, but as you know I have absorption issues so I am a special case compared to most.

I take one Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 iu per day. As you can see above, I was pretty high for a while and dropped the D3 to 6 per week. I think that that 6 month pre-op lab run was too soon to get a good idea how things were going to settle out.

My A & K are good. I had to drop my A down to 25,000 iu 6 times per week too.

My main concern is how my thyroid seems to be all over the board. Is the Levothyroxine that sensitive? Should I even be concerned about these other levels?

I take one Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 iu per day. As you can see above, I was pretty high for a while and dropped the D3 to 6 per week. I think that that 6 month pre-op lab run was too soon to get a good idea how things were going to settle out.

My A & K are good. I had to drop my A down to 25,000 iu 6 times per week too.
You definitely absorb those much better than I do..

BTW I get monthly labs because of my issues and they can move a lot in that 30 days. That being said I am interested to see how my A & D moved this month after the injections on 5/23. Neither took the big jump I expected when I had labs the 15th of last month.....so I am anxious.

My main concern is how my thyroid seems to be all over the board. Is the Levothyroxine that sensitive? Should I even be concerned about these other levels?
I am no help there as I just don't have any experience in that regard.

The ALT is high but docs told me they don't typically worry unless like 10 times max, but there is a trend so I would ask.

Creatinine....well my bun/creatinine ratio is usually pretty high bUT my doc said it isn't anything for me to worry about....but your creatinine is really low so I would ask your doctor about that, your alt and the thyou'd stuff.

Thanks, I am going to talk to the Doc when I get back from vacation. We are headed to Vienna and Salzburg, Austria the 13 -21 of this month. I am excited to have a big get-away.

When are you taking your thyroid med? I take mine in the middle of the night (only reason I am glad for a middle of the night potty run).

You might need to have your thyroid re-evaluated by an endo.

I have always taken my Thyroid during a potty run, too. I just make sure it is at least 4 hours from my iron and 30 minutes before I eat breakfast. I will check into it further when I get back. Thanks for the feedback. Kisses & hugs!

Latest posts

Back