Lab results help

Charris

Now an angel
I got my labs from DR. K back and need some help to know what I should do about the things that are not normal. I scanned them but there are 6 pages. So I thought I would just list them. To see what you guys think. My doctor sent me literature about protein and didn't say anything else about my labs.

Hgb low 11.0 normal 12-15
HCT low 33.5 normal 36.48
MCH low 28.5 normal 29-33
ABS LYMphocytes low 2.2 normal 2.3 -3.4
Carbon Dioxide low 20 normal 22-30
Creatine low .4 normal .7-.17
Thyroxine low 65 normal .78-2.19
PH low 5 normal 5-8

NOW FOR THE HIGHS
RDW high 16.4 normal 11.5-14.5
PTT high 39.8 normal 24.6-37.2
Chloride high 109 normal 98-107
TBilirubin high 10.6 normal 8.4-10.2
Ferritin high 321 normal 6.24-137
PTH intact high 258.3 normal 7.5-53.5
Calcium high 10.6 normal 8.4-10.2
WBC Estrace high +1 normal negative
Vitamin B6 high 189 normal 20-125

With your calcium high and your PTH very high, I would want to know what your D is....

And your B6 is too high..that one if it remains high can cause permanent nerve damage.

I wish I knew anything about these.

So many are out of range, many by only a little. Your ferritin is really high, but you had iron infusions recently didn't you? My hematologist makes me wait months before we test because, he said, it will show as really high after infusions.

Do you have a paper copy of Keshishian's standard lab order?

I made a copy, then I would white-out K's info...name, address, etc...and take it to my PCP who would just add HIS name and info and anything else HE wanted tested. And that's how I went to the lab.

How much D are you taking per day? Your calcium lab really doesn't mean squat. It probably is leeching from your bones, with your PTH that high. How much calcium are you taking in a day and how many doses? And I didn't see an A. Your ferritin is just fine. In fact, we want it in the triple digits.

The B6 is worrisome, as Southernlady said, it can cause permanent neurological damage. So cut out your B6 or B complex for a while. There was one multi that contained very high levels of B6. So read your multi vitamin and make sure you're not inadvertently overdosing there.

Do you understand the relationship that D and calcium have in keeping your PTH (parathyroid) low? If not, Dr. K has a good article on it you should read.

@Spiky Bugger yes I have it in my email. He order these labs

Then, it is pre-printed on the lab order and he usually just checks that box. On my forms...kind of old...it is right after "Lipids," where it says "Vitamin Levels."

See if your results show that some tests are still Pending. I think my Vitamin D always came back later because it had to go to a lab in Utah.

Last edited:
I need to ask others as well when I have puzzlers on my labs, but I would ignore that high calcium level, and blame it on the high pth assuming it's pulling calcium out of our bones at an accelerated rate. I'd up the calcium and D, and try some different types of calcium like citrate, mcha and possibly a liquid calcium to make absorbtion easy for a while. I sometimes use the liquid Buried Treasure Calcium Plus, as it has a bunch of the helper vitamins with it, as do the dry Bone Builder formulas by Jarrow or others.

I hang onto b vitamins as well, so make sure you aren't getting a big dose of the B6 in something else as others mentioned it can be bad, but one source that many post ops noticed b6 issues was the Costco / Kirkland Calcium Citrate. I liked it initially also because I saw it had "bonus" vites, but one was b6, and too much of it. So if you take that, switch to Citrical or something.

Liquid D was another thing I added to my protein drinks for a while and it did give me one of the best D boosts I've had, but it was expensive and sort of icky, and the powdered types can be more palatable added to other things. I'd do those in addition to your regular D supplementation.

There are finally a few posters reporting good things about the D dermal patches as well, and I may add those also on top of regular oral doses too. There are other patches that may be useful in getting levels up, but I'm still skeptical about our ability to absorb different things dermally. I'd ask Dr K about at least the D patch, or injection in hopes it could be covered by insurance.

Don't forget lots of water. Medications you may have been on, AND supplements we take can be hard on the kidneys, so remember to help them get out with as much water as you can.

Sorry I don't know about most of numbers, but I hope a guru will pop in soon.

@Sheani I maybe getting too much b6. The Kirkland brand has 10 mg in my calcium. I'm taking calcium 3 times a day 500mg. Then out of my other meds im getting another 500mg. I take 50000 iu of D and 25000 of A 1 time a day. Was taking it 2 times a day but doc. Said stop because I got 2 shots.

Latest posts

Back