Iron Question

jjordan8130

So I have to admit that even 3 months post op the vits are still a struggle for me. It's still a little overwhelming, but I'm working on it. I've got the vita lady list and I'm trying to hodgepodge my way through buying a little from various places in order to save a little money. I have found some of what she sells on Amazon for a little cheaper.

My question is this: (and maybe there's an answer for it somewhere already that I missed)

What is the difference in taking her Tender Iron vs having my doc perscribe me Iron?

I have had major issues already with constipation, so I've backed my iron down for now until I can figure out a balance that works for me. I think part of the problem was fluid intake and I've corrected that. It's helped A LOT! I feel alot better and it's time to work the iron back up.

Tagging @MajorMom
But I will take a stab at it. The main prescription iron that works for us is the Proferrin Forte by BioTech. Not all insurance plans cover it. Mine doesn't, I just checked again. However, getting y prescription may be cheaper and many times if you have a FSA/HSA, it can be applied there.

The advantage Proferrin has is that it can be taken around food unlike the Tender Iron.

Is it less constipating? I just started iron up again today and am dreading tomorrow morning. Added an additional colace and have my Ca/Mg ratio at 2/1. Added in a dose of benefiber also.

Has anyone encountered an iron that doesn't haunt for hours with eructations which bear an aroma reminiscent of a cracking plant?

Has anyone encountered an iron that doesn't haunt for hours with eructations which bear an aroma reminiscent of a cracking plant?
All right, you forced me to look up "eructations", but I can't figure out a cracking plant is or what its aroma is like. Anyways, I take iron bisglycinate, also known as "Comfort Iron" or "Gentle Iron". It is non-constipating and I never had a problem with eructations.

Cracking plants I think, serve to break down crude oil into gasoline. For miles around, the pungent, industrial scent of fossil fuel waste is inescapable. They pepper the south end of Lake Michigan on the Chicago/Northern Indiana border and for me, at least, a drive through that area requires the car's climate control settings to be on "recirculate" to be remotely bearable. I'm going to give "Comfort Iron" a try!

Thanks @southernlady

I had my 3 month post op visit today. Lab work and the whole bit. I mentioned my issues with the iron and he told me to stop taking it for the next three months until I have labs again. He said we would compare today's and September's and go from there. I mentioned the thought of infusions sounded a lot better to me and said "we'll see in September".

It sounds reasonable to stop for a short period of time then re-evaluate and decide on a new plan.

Any thoughts? I don't want to make a mistake here.

Thanks @southernlady

I had my 3 month post op visit today. Lab work and the whole bit. I mentioned my issues with the iron and he told me to stop taking it for the next three months until I have labs again. He said we would compare today's and September's and go from there. I mentioned the thought of infusions sounded a lot better to me and said "we'll see in September".

It sounds reasonable to stop for a short period of time then re-evaluate and decide on a new plan.

Any thoughts? I don't want to make a mistake here.
And MY PCP told me to increase my proferrin...there is no rhyme or reason for some of what we are told. Did he explain why he wanted to compare 3 months of none to the three months of previous?

Were you low or low normal before surgery or well in normal range? Because at only 3 months out, you are still working on your pre-op stores. Honestly I think the only reason my pre-op stores lasted so long is I am 1) post menopausal and 2) had the baby maker taken out 20 years ago. Technically my need of iron is the same as a male.

I was low normal before surgery. He only said I'd probably still be low normal and we would just compare the two sets with three months of no iron. If I maintain then I will stay off. I assume he means until I drop to below normal? He did give me one iron infusion the day after surgery just because I was on the low side. I didn't think much of it since I was still normal anyway.

I finally found a way to add extra fat! (and had to tell you.) Hot tea with a big helping of HWC. I have yet to learn to drink coffee, but can handle hot tea. Today I had a eureka moment and splashed a big slug of HWC in there and it was good. Yay for 1 more vehicle for fat consumption. Thanks Liz!

aside: my diabetic husband gives me a side-eye every time I tell him that I am really struggling to get in enough fat. Tomorrow is pay day and I am buying scallops, just so I can drown them in butter. I have been craving seafood this week like crazy.

aside the second: I need a chest freezer so I can stock up on protein.

I finally found a way to add extra fat! (and had to tell you.) Hot tea with a big helping of HWC. I have yet to learn to drink coffee, but can handle hot tea. Today I had a eureka moment and splashed a big slug of HWC in there and it was good. Yay for 1 more vehicle for fat consumption. Thanks Liz!

aside: my diabetic husband gives me a side-eye every time I tell him that I am really struggling to get in enough fat. Tomorrow is pay day and I am buying scallops, just so I can drown them in butter. I have been craving seafood this week like crazy.

aside the second: I need a chest freezer so I can stock up on protein.
You're welcome, LOL.

We are replacing our freezer...it was a freebie 2 years ago and was about 25 years old them...I was eyeing a chest freezer, dh wanted to get an upright...we bought it yesterday and it will be delivered with the rest of the appliances we popped for in about 2 weeks. Crossing my toes the old one doesn't die before them.

Latest posts

Back