Iron & Magnesium

newanatomy

I was lurking on another site and saw someone recommend taking iron with magnesium. I thought to myself "That is wrong! Iron is to be taken on an empty stomach with copper and Vitamin C." I decided to google it.

Here is what I found:

Can I Take Iron & Magnesium at the Same Time?

Last Updated: Oct 25, 2011 | By Brian Connolly
e1d0999d-f9a8-4132-97ab-6f8486dedc57.Small.jpg
Brian Connolly
Based in the Appalachian Mountains, Brian Connolly is a certified nutritionist and has been writing professionally since 2000. He is a licensed yoga and martial arts instructor whose work regularly appears in “Metabolism,” “Verve” and publications throughout the East Coast. Connolly holds a Master of Arts in liberal arts from the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Farticle%2F117%2F132%2F87753812_XS.jpg

Iron and magnesium supplements are unlikely to interact with each other. Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Both iron and magnesium are considered essential minerals and are recommended for a balanced diet. According to a study published in a 1994 issue of “Magnesium Research,” iron and magnesium generally should be taken simultaneously for maximum tolerance and compliance. For best results, talk to your doctor about the ideal dosage and sources of iron and magnesium for your condition.
Iron
In order to produce red blood cells, the body requires a certain amount of dietary iron. Hemoglobin and myoglobin are two of the essential proteins created by iron that carry and store oxygen in the body. Iron supplements are often taken by individuals who are suffering from anemia, an iron deficiency that may be caused by blood loss, poor diet, malabsorption, burns, bleeding problems, hemodialysis, intestinal disease, stomach problems and other conditions. Although too little iron is considered unhealthy, too much iron can be toxic to the body and can result in iron poisoning.

Combinations
Iron and magnesium supplements should be taken at the same time for maximum effect. Since many foods contain quantities of both minerals, your digestive system commonly digests them simultaneously. According to a study published in a 2009 issue of the “Clinical Journal Of The American Society of Nephrology,” a combined supplement of iron and magnesium is used to treat hyperphosphatemia in patients suffering from hemodialysis. When taking supplements, try to keep your intake to the 10 to 15 milligrams of iron and 310 to 400 milligrams of magnesium recommended for most adults.
Safety Concerns
Talk to your doctor before consuming iron or magnesium supplements if you are taking medications. Magnesium alone can interact with a wide variety of medications, including aminoglycosides, antibiotics, calcium channel blockers, diabetes medications, hormone replacement therapies, digoxin, diuretics, fluoroquinones, labetol and levomethadyl.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/549611-can-i-take-iron-magnesium-at-the-same-time/

I was lurking on another site and saw someone recommend taking iron with magnesium. I thought to myself "That is wrong! Iron is to be taken on an empty stomach with copper and Vitamin C." I decided to google it.

Here is what I found:

Brian Connolly
Based in the Appalachian Mountains, Brian Connolly is a certified nutritionist and has been writing professionally since 2000. He is a licensed yoga and martial arts instructor whose work regularly appears in “Metabolism,” “Verve” and publications throughout the East Coast. Connolly holds a Master of Arts in liberal arts from the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Farticle%2F117%2F132%2F87753812_XS.jpg

Iron and magnesium supplements are unlikely to interact with each other. Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Both iron and magnesium are considered essential minerals and are recommended for a balanced diet. According to a study published in a 1994 issue of “Magnesium Research,” iron and magnesium generally should be taken simultaneously for maximum tolerance and compliance. For best results, talk to your doctor about the ideal dosage and sources of iron and magnesium for your condition.
Iron
In order to produce red blood cells, the body requires a certain amount of dietary iron. Hemoglobin and myoglobin are two of the essential proteins created by iron that carry and store oxygen in the body. Iron supplements are often taken by individuals who are suffering from anemia, an iron deficiency that may be caused by blood loss, poor diet, malabsorption, burns, bleeding problems, hemodialysis, intestinal disease, stomach problems and other conditions. Although too little iron is considered unhealthy, too much iron can be toxic to the body and can result in iron poisoning.

Combinations
Iron and magnesium supplements should be taken at the same time for maximum effect. Since many foods contain quantities of both minerals, your digestive system commonly digests them simultaneously. According to a study published in a 2009 issue of the “Clinical Journal Of The American Society of Nephrology,” a combined supplement of iron and magnesium is used to treat hyperphosphatemia in patients suffering from hemodialysis. When taking supplements, try to keep your intake to the 10 to 15 milligrams of iron and 310 to 400 milligrams of magnesium recommended for most adults.
Safety Concerns
Talk to your doctor before consuming iron or magnesium supplements if you are taking medications. Magnesium alone can interact with a wide variety of medications, including aminoglycosides, antibiotics, calcium channel blockers, diabetes medications, hormone replacement therapies, digoxin, diuretics, fluoroquinones, labetol and levomethadyl.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/549611-can-i-take-iron-magnesium-at-the-same-time/

Because I am a know-nothing about science, this is probably silly. But I'm a know-a-little about English...and people generally "suffer" from a disease or injury; they don't often "suffer from" a medical procedure. Maybe he just should have said "suffer during" or something similar, but it caught my attention because he mentioned people "suffering FROM" hemodialysis.

ETA...maybe it's the same as someone "suffering from chemo," but that is still awkward for me.

Last edited:
One other thing...his undergrad/masters degrees were in liberal arts and now he's a "Certified Nutritionist," and I don't know what that means. He may be totally legit, but he sounds a little too artsy-fartsy for me to immediately buy in to his science creds.

No clue about the potential for issues in taking these together, but "certified nutritionist" is neither an academic nor a licensed healthcare path. There is some training involved, but it is not the same as a NUT.

No clue about the potential for issues in taking these together, but "certified nutritionist" is neither an academic nor a licensed healthcare path. There is some training involved, but it is not the same as a NUT.

Yeah...for me, it's up there with "Holistic Healer" and "Life Coach." (Or even more scary, a "CERTIFIED Life Coach.") I'm askeerd.

Here is what I found:

Brian Connolly
You know, I live near Asheville and googled nutritionists in Asheville...doesn't come up in a google search.

Latest posts

Back