Info about policy at Dr. Inmans???

MyNewLife

Roast Beef for dinner (shhhhh)
Anyone have any experience with the psych evaluator at Dr. Inmans? Anyone know how long you have to quit smoking before dr. inman will do surgery? The psych won't sign off until she has attended 3 meetings and waited to the end to get a signature (that seems so demeaning to me, like a patient can't be trusted). Anyway, he never asked her about online support groups which she does read out here and elsewhere but doesn't post. We only have one car but I can drive all over Indiana this month and get her to the three support groups but how long does Inman insist on no smoking before she will do surgery? I feel kind of bad because I'm the one that started smoking and being around it started her up again so we are quitting together. Does anyone know anything about the smoking or whether doing all three meetings at different groups in a month will meet the psychs requirements? She's really down because she was hoping for the surgery soon and knew there would be a wait.

I don't know about Dr. Inman's policies etc., but would like to interject just a bit of comment: If the psych clearance requirements include attending three meetings, then it's kind of pointless to expect the psych to sign off before those meetings are done. It would be asking for a lie, right?

Also, reading on a forum is not in the slightest bit equal to attending a support group meeting (ETA: Even though the quality of the online information and the interaction might be vastly superior to the "3d" meeting). Reading a forum is the equivalent of reading a blog, newspaper or magazine article. This is a professional judgment issue in the realm of psychotherapy. Some therapists think online support groups are nifty, but as far as I know, there is no consensus on that subject in the profession.

Last but not least: The longer Dr. Inman requires nicotine abstinence, the better. I've watched two people nearly die (and one disappeared from my orbit so completed that I suspect she did eventually die) because they just "couldn't" stop smoking completely, and the surgeon went ahead and did their surgery. Said surgeon doesn't make that exception any more, I can promise you.

I'm sorry there are so many "hoops" to jump through, but this is about SURVIVAL. Rushing is a very bad idea.

Good article, @Elizabeth N. ! I would add to that brief outline that smoking also lowers the oxygen supply to every part of the body, including the areas that need oxygen to heal. This means not only more wound healing problems, but with any kind of intestinal surgery it also means less oxygen to the new connections of one part of intestine to another, which already may have decreased blood supply (which means decreased oxygen supply) due to some blood vessels inevitably being divided to facilitate the surgery. And that means more chance for serious complications such as a leak or healing with stricture.
Many of the risks of bariatric surgery are not subject to change, but smoking is. and keeping in mind that many bariatric surgery patients are already at increased risk due to diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc, smoking is one major risk factor that can be removed.

Really grateful that's the one vice I don't have! My mom was a pack-a-day smoker when I was a child (and still is) and I quickly learned to hate the things.

En, you misunderstood :)

I don't know about Dr. Inman's policies etc., but would like to interject just a bit of comment: If the psych clearance requirements include attending three meetings, then it's kind of pointless to expect the psych to sign off before those meetings are done. It would be asking for a lie, right?

I'm sorry there are so many "hoops" to jump through, but this is about SURVIVAL. Rushing is a very bad idea.

I don't have an issue with his signature. I have an issue that she has to wait till after the meeting to have a signature to prove that she has been at the meeting. To me this starts an important relationship with distrust on the part of one party. If a patient states they have been to a meeting, ask them how they enjoyed it, what they have learned but don't degrade them by asking them to prove they are not lying. I have trust issues and to me having to prove your word for something like that is demeaning, she doesn't care, I just find it a bad way to start a relationship.

I personally have learned so much more from these groups (ignoring the crap information) than I ever did going to the 1 support group that was more of a sales pitch for BA advantage vites and a hip hoorah session for surgery than support.

As for the smoking, I never asked how to fool the tests. We went out and both got scripts for Chantix. We will both be non-smoking for probably three to six months before she ever has the surgery. She's only recently started back so hopefully it will stick this time but I'll tell on her myself if she tries to go in a smoker. You never lie to your doctor, there are reasons for what they have you do. I was just afraid they had a one year no smoke policy or something. That's just too long a delay. I want her to come out of surgery healthy and healing well, therefore, no smoking ;) You are preaching to the choir. Other people were trying to be helpful with how to spoof things, it's not our way. I didn't respond to those people as it was nice of them to say but not the information I was seeking.

Rush?? First. My surgeon having her go through hoops, dieticians and psych evals only to tell her she wasn't fat enough for the DS but could have an RNY and then refusing to battle insurance on her behalf. Second, I believed she couldn't get the DS without a long battle and I knew she'd be over a BMI of 50 in short order at the rate she was going, I thought it would be quicker to let nature take it's course (it did). Third: Financially handling the psych eval, we got the money and had to wait for the psych appt. The day before the appt, my timing belt went out and we had to wait months for this one (Carmel is a three hour drive). The psych can insist on the meetings but let her get on the waiting list for the surgery in the meantime. Heck, if the wait list is 6 months, she could do 6 support meetings. No one told her it was a requirement or this would have been done long before she met with the psych.

She has been learning and waiting for years now thanks to my surgeon and his methods. There is no rush, there is just the light at the end of the tunnel now and the idea of unnecessary delay is too much for her.

No one is this house is trying to be underhanded or unhealthy.

Thank you for caring tho!!!!

In 2010 Dr. Bernsten said at least 30 days before surgery and she did a blood test to check. I used Chantix too. I smoked a little longer than the instructions. I'd say about a week or so but the medication did work. I was totally quit after about a month. That ended up to be about 60 days before surgery. Good luck and quitting is easier when you keep thinking about why you are and what the reward will be in the end.

I've used Chantix before successfully but I've come to believe that cigs have become my transfer addiction. I started back the day my daughter left for college. But if people can battle alcohol as an addiction, I can surely battle this one, especially since I know she won't be able to quit if I'm still smoking. What's the worst that can happen, I get healthy LOL

I wish I chewed gum....

I'll be posting for moral support on my quit day :)

I used nicotine gum to quit smoking before my surgery.I quit the nicotine gum about 2 months before surgery so that I would have zero nicotine in my system. That worked for me. Hopefully, I will never touch a ciggy again. Although, I saw a nice long butt on the ground today and thought to myself, I could pick it up and smoke the shit out of it. It was raining so, no go. :ROFLMAO:

I was not insinuating that either of you were trying to be underhanded. I was trying to reframe the subject from the other side of the desk, as it were. If I were in the professional's seat and needing to cover my ass, I'd be requiring documentation, too. It's the curse of our litigious society that they can't/shouldn't just "take someone's word."

Nor was I insinuating that either of you would try to fool a test (no clue how that would be done anyway). I was pointing out that the smoking issue is LIFE OR DEATH. So chill the fuck OUT already. Or use your block button.

En, you are one of my favorite people. I like what you have to say because I know you say it from your heart and your brain :) I thought you had misunderstood my post, that's all. I didn't want you to think I was seeking a way of cheating because I wasn't. Your opinion has value to me, sometimes IMHO it's a bit harsher than I would prefer but it has a lot of value. I still feel that treating people who have been through hell as if they got caught drunk driving and have to prove they've gone to an AA meeting sets a bad precedent. If this were something that would actually effect health and an MD required it, it would be different. It's really a moot point because she is complying and I'm the only one that has an issue. Maybe I'm just weird but I feel offended that proof is needed. If someone sues a doctor because they didn't follow his advice, the judge would be an idiot for not throwing it out :)

This is actually a good thread because you posted a great link. Hopefully people who are going in to this or any surgery will gain the knowledge of the benefit they can get from quitting sooner rather than later.

No hard feelings?

@MyNewLife I had to PROVE by signature that I had attended a support group meeting. Yes, it is demeaning BUT it is a hoop to jump thru. If "you" just do it, you get to the end result...surgery!

MY issue was having to quit my NSAID for 2 weeks before surgery and couldn't restart til at least a month after. My brain knew why, but my back refused to cooperate and made my life miserable during that time. I kept trying to tell my back to STFU...it ignored me.

My drug of choice was always NSaids. They are the only thing that helped with my pain, I don't really like narcotics or the way they make me feel. The idea of not having my anti-inflammatories terrified me. I survived and when I have a bad back, knee or shoulder day, I'll take a PPI and a Celebrex. I've been working on on 30 script for over a year now. I really don't need them much anymore but it is miserable before an after surgery when the pain is so extreme and the doc doesn't even give you narcotics to take their place for the short term. The pain was so worth it in the long run.

As to the signatures, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way, you would think a professional would realize that it starts things out on the wrong foot. She doesn't care, she just wants to feel better and will do whatever it takes.

Latest posts

Back