I'm sick of this cold weather

Oy, I've done that drive in bad weather, it's not fun. Hope he stays safe!

As for weather, it's gross here. 5-6 inches of snow and sleet, then melting all day because of the sun, which means that tonight/tomorrow morning everything will be a sheet of ice. Hubby called out today, but I'm thinking tomorrow might've been the day to do it :o_O:

Oy, I've done that drive in bad weather, it's not fun. Hope he stays safe!

As for weather, it's gross here. 5-6 inches of snow and sleet, then melting all day because of the sun, which means that tonight/tomorrow morning everything will be a sheet of ice. Hubby called out today, but I'm thinking tomorrow might've been the day to do it :o_O:
Just stay safe...while you and your hubby know much more about driving in snow...black ice is a whole new ballgame. Also the others out there have no clue how to drive.

OK, y'all, just heard from DH and he, the silly man, is driving to NC from upstate NY because he can not get home before Tuesday by plane, so many flights have been cancelled. A co-worker is with him and they are sharing the driving. Its 12 hours under good circumstances, which these are not, so who knows when they will finally get back to NC. The dingbat -- I told him just stay in NY in the hotel, drink heartily, watch tv and come home next week but he won't listen to me. They texted a picture of the highway they are on and it is basically deserted with good reason -- its snow covered.

No need to post a reply, but please feel free to send safe travel prayers in his direction.

Arent men fun :) They don't realise a picture will make us worry all the more! Thinking of him and you!

@DuodenalSwitchaRoo : I know!!! He sent another one a little later saying "see the road is better now". I was like "OMG, you dummy, that's cause its ICE now." God, these Southerners don't know anything about winter weather; At least he's promised to stop for the night in Pennsylvania and wait til morning to assess if they can continue on. Sigh.

I'm from Idaho and have driven through blizzards, but ICE is nothing to mess around with...even at 10mph it can get really bad. I'm glad he is stopping, for his safety AND your sanity :)

Everyone's been filling my facebook feed up with snow pics....here in middle TN, we got NADA. Just rain. I kind of like snow, but I hate what it does to the roads, and my dog hates it, so I guess I lucked out!

Update: Whew, the silly man just got home from his epic drive from Niagara Falls, NY (basically, Canada) to NC. Safe and sound and in one piece. He had to do 100% of the driving bc his co-worked couldn't, so he's exhausted now, but home and in one piece. I am sooo relieved! Thanks for the prayers sent his/my way.
Glad to see he made it home safely. Whew sometimes those men can be so difficult.

So....like....last night was TERRIFYING!!!!!! We had hurricane force winds all night....in southern England. The surrounded areas are severely flooded and under several feet of water. Thankfully our street is still safe. But last night was the worst nights sleep....every time something crashed into the window I was startled awake. I slept insuring my whole body was covered in case the window shattered.

Seriously never been through anything like it. You could hear and feel the wind coming through shut and locked windows. How some of y'all live in the hurricane zone I have no idea.....TERRIFYING!!! I felt like a 3 year old hearing thunder for the first time. It has died down mostly now....sun most of the day with some showers...but last night was so scary. Mike and the lil dude were driving home in it...and it's that, do I text to see if they are alive and distract them, or wait and see? ugh. I ended up texting, and he used his hands free to call me...they had to turn around and take a different route 3 different times. I have never been relieved to see my boyz faces EVER. A sense of relief washed over me and I hugged them so hard!!!

I lived through the big quake in SF in the late 80's. I've lived through tornado warnings in Boise, I've lived through blizzards and 13 inches overnight snow in Salmon...none of that scared me....last night was dead scary.

ok, Im done being a drama queen lol, but mother nature is pissed y'all, so stay safe out there!!!!

Chicago area home and near-weekly trips to NYC. BRRR. Also, just learned about the whole ice dam thing the hard way - melting snow/ice water dripping through my bathroom and bedroom ceiling. Looks like a new roof is going to set me back $40k in the spring (to replace an original 1950 2000 sq ft tar and gravel roof with membrane - normal roofing is not an option with our low, prairie-style pitch - not something we even contemplated when we were so excited to buy a mid-century modern Usonian home). We need to rethink our geographical choices.

Chicago area home and near-weekly trips to NYC. BRRR. Also, just learned about the whole ice dam thing the hard way - melting snow/ice water dripping through my bathroom and bedroom ceiling. Looks like a new roof is going to set me back $40k in the spring (to replace an original 1950 2000 sq ft tar and gravel roof with membrane - normal roofing is not an option with our low, prairie-style pitch - not something we even contemplated when we were so excited to buy a mid-century modern Usonian home). We need to rethink our geographical choices.

Goodness!!!! Would home insurance cover it since it was "damaged during uncommon weather"? Just a thought. I have no idea how home insurance works in the USA.

Wow - thanks for the mold warning @4KidsAndaDog. I'm so sorry that you have had such serious health effects from mold - what an ordeal. I wish you hadn't had to suffer so. I also have spent time in a wheelchair and hope you are freed from that with DS.

Working on drying it out the place now. It's both a blessing and a curse, but our home design is very unusual. There isn't any drywall in the building. All of our ceilings and walls are mahogany (except for some tile on bathroom and kitchen walls and one brick wall in the great room). I'm hoping lumber isn't as susceptible to mold. Our floors are slate and local tile. There is no attic or crawlspace.

@DuodenalSwitchaRoo, I think I'm going to have to bear the costs, as any repair I get for the damage won't deal with the underlying problem of aged infrastructure. The roof repair itself will cost under $100 - just pouring tar on top of it should hold the current leak back and Charles got up there for four hours and got rid of the ice dam and resulting pool of water. Interior damage isn't too bad, but we will probably have to buy a few boards mahogany can be pricey, but still won't be over our insurance deductible.

The only true resolution will be to replace the roof - and its time has come - the tar and gravel has served well with almost no maintenance for 60+years. The whole home was designed to be extremely durable and this has proven true, but there are limits to how long a roof can survive Chicago winter. Tar and gravel roofs are no longer affordable so we will go to membrane. The cost is largely in the labor involved in removing the tar, felt and gravel (20+ layers of it!).

Time to think about a reduction in longitude!

Noooooooooo!

1932300_701945736523669_1067502690_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back