I'm sick of this cold weather

cajungirl

I know many of you are dealing with much colder weather than we are but it's an uncommon situation for us in the deep south. This is the coldest winter we've had since January 1997. Some snow but mostly sleet and ice, so much so that schools closed twice in two weeks.

The high today is 37 (feels like 26) and it's raining and raining and raining with more through tonight. We haven't seen the sun shine in 6 days now. My house was built in the early 80s and isn't well insulated. I've used a entire cord of wood in the wood burning fireplace AND my #$#@$@% electric bill went up 66% since December.

Thanks for letting me vent ugh I'm ready for flip flops and sandals.

Oh I understand...

Thankfully, the people who did some major renovations about 14 years ago to this house did a pretty good job of insulating altho we do have two cold rooms...one is our bedroom, the other is a 4 season porch. Both were additions at some point. The house was originally a 4 square Dutch Colonial built in 1902.

We've been sitting right at 34 all day and it's been snowing. Right now we are in a break...more is due to fall tonight into tomorrow. We are all hunkered down. We have a gas fireplace but it doesn't add much heat. Whoever put it in forgot to add a blower!

Okay, yesterdays prediction for us was 6 - 10+ inches...it is NOW 8 - 14+ inches. This tiny town is NOT prepared for this. Even tho they do have A snow plow and while we aren't on the main road, we are pretty high on the list. Having several city counsel members living in your neighborhood helps.

Driving home last night, the temp started out at 22F, which was the warmest it's been here forever. But by the time I got on my street, it was 6F. Below zero this AM. We sit in our "yawn chairs" from Walmart with heat and massage, covered in afghans. The dogs curl up in tight circles, or else are totally occluding the heat vents (then the heat is on, which is constantly). Heat bill last month was over $500 (drafty, poorly insulated 150 year old farm house). My feet and hands are perpetually ice cold. I hate winter for the first time in my life. I want to live in Key West, Florida.

brrr - winter is only ok if you are all prepared and have everything you need. just like hot weather, I guess.

@southernlady - what's it looking like this morning?

We have a layer of sleet on top of the snow. The puppies were NOT happy campers on their morning constitutional. Every place they stepped crunched and then "fell" a few inches...and the snow was on their privates. Hazard of being a tiny breed.

And it's STILL snowing...not hard but it's still failing.

On the upside, our neighborhood has been plowed THREE times since yesterday morning (told you there were advantages to living near city counsel members, :thumbup: )

One of our local weather people!

Several photos we took:
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/southernlady5464/slideshow/Snow days

This is one dh took JUST as I slipped and almost landed on my butt.

Im sick of the rain. I know it is England and all but we had the wettest January since records began...so possibly the wettest EVER. Everwhere around me is flooded :( Sucks. Cold sucks too though. I hate snow. I want heat, and sandals and tank tops :)

Latest posts

Back