I have a sleeve, now the DS

SJB41976

The doctor isn't doing anything to my sleeve, he looked at it through endoscopy and said that it's fine. And I'm fine with that because I feel like I still have good restriction.

My question is, since it will not be re-sleeved how will my recovery be? (like you have a crystal ball)

I mean when I had the sleeve done I went through all the bad tastes and things that I didn't like for a while and then suddenly liked again. I'm still going to be on a liquid diet post surgery so my intestines can heal, so I will follow that (I hope I am not super hungry during this time, that's my only fear since my stomach can hold more). Should I sip, sip, sip just like I had been sleeved. Should I eat tiny ounces at a time. I guess that's what I am getting at.

I don't know...anybody out there had a sleeve then the second part and how did you do with it. I know weight loss may be slower. Just don't know what to do with a stomach that is already healed and can hold 8 ounces.

I had a sleeve. Then, six years later, had my sleeve partially redone and the DS. My hunch is, your recovery will be more challenging (how's that for a euphemism?) than it was with the sleeve alone. When I had my sleeve done, recovery was a piece of cake. But when you're getting the DS they're altering much, much more. You're energy will drop for sure. The sleeve simply makes your stomach smaller, but the DS gives you a whole new system you have to adjust to. Not trying to scare you, but you should be prepared for some lethargy and discomfort. Nothing you can't handle, but, no, it'll likely be tougher than the sleeve.

One positive: you likely won't need to be on liquids/purred as long. Once stuff leaves your stomach it's called "chyme" and it's pretty mushy already.

Good luck. Try to build up your vitamin/protein deficiencies now while you still absorb. And, after surgery, get as much protein and fat as possible. Never being a big fat eater, I wasn't ready for that part and it left me painfully constipated. Now I gobble down the fat. Lesson learned.

Oh, BTW, my weight loss so far has been excellent. I lost about a pound/day for the first three weeks. Now I'm losing about 2-3 pounds/week.

Good luck!

I guess I should clarify that I was talking about since they are not re-sleeving me, will I still go through flavor likes and dislikes, should I sip, sip, sip...that kind of thing. I'm anticipating the switch part to be a big deal and it kind of freaks me out that my stomach and intestines won't be on the same page, you know? Like what if I gulp my broth? If I drink 8 oz of fluids quickly will I have the runs quicker? Should I follow the sip 2 oz an hour the first few days.

I am going to ask the same questions at my pre-op but the wonderful people on here have actual experience as I know some have had the switch part after the stomach.

With a partial resleeve how much fluid were you able to get down the first few days? First couple of weeks?

I am glad to hear that your weight loss has been great as I am almost 6 years out now. I am so scared that even after this procedure I am still going to be over 200 pounds (even with doing all the right things).

I had the DS without a resleeve. Contrary to Marquis Mark I found the surgery and recovery much easier than after the sleeve. Pretty much after a week I was back to soft foods en within two weeks back to normal foods. It will take some time to get to know your new intestines and become acquainted with what they tolerate more easily and what they will get upset with. Fluid will not give you the runs quicker, sugar and simple carbs will :) But I guess you already knew that. You don't have to worry about drinking too much at once, at least, I didn't and I didn't have any troubles.

I guess I should clarify that I was talking about since they are not re-sleeving me, will I still go through flavor likes and dislikes, should I sip, sip, sip...that kind of thing. I'm anticipating the switch part to be a big deal and it kind of freaks me out that my stomach and intestines won't be on the same page, you know? Like what if I gulp my broth? If I drink 8 oz of fluids quickly will I have the runs quicker? Should I follow the sip 2 oz an hour the first few days.

I am going to ask the same questions at my pre-op but the wonderful people on here have actual experience as I know some have had the switch part after the stomach.

With a partial resleeve how much fluid were you able to get down the first few days? First couple of weeks?

I am glad to hear that your weight loss has been great as I am almost 6 years out now. I am so scared that even after this procedure I am still going to be over 200 pounds (even with doing all the right things).
I would go slow the first few days to see how your guts react. You know your sleeve will be fine but the rest is gonna be swollen and pissy. So treat it gently.

My guess is that you won't have to sip as gently because your stomach will not be swollen and, as a result, will have more capacity, but obviously you still want to stay hydrated. Watch your urine. If it starts to get dark drink more liquid. In any case, I think it will become readily apparent to you what to do. I was in the hospital for six days afterward and during that time I had three liters of IV fluid/day + another quart orally. As soon as I got home I had no problem getting down 64 ounces/day. Now I'm up to 96 ounces/day. I don't think you'll have much problem.

As far as tastes changing, I found my desire for carbs waned a bit, but, again, you will just have to see.

As far as the "synch" between your stomach and intestines, my hunch is that's not really the issue. The stomach's behavior won't change much if it's large or small. It's the plumbing change more than anything. Think of a newborn. Their system is delicate. It takes time to figure out what they like and how they react to things. be gentle and be attuned to feedback. You'll figure it out!

Good luck!

I can tell you with my revision where it was the small intestine only that was operated on, I was told I could eat anything I wanted as soon as I wanted..... And I did. That being said, my duodenum wasn't touched and yours will be divided so I am not sure how much that will impact you. Certain foods are going to cause gas and some bloating so you will not be able to eat all foods without consequence.

My recovery was fine eating wise but my incision got infected causing my recovery to be a bit of a problem. Additionally I did have a lot of bloating and gas, but Dr K told me that would happen when my AL was lengthened. .

I had the DS without a resleeve. Contrary to Marquis Mark I found the surgery and recovery much easier than after the sleeve. Pretty much after a week I was back to soft foods en within two weeks back to normal foods. It will take some time to get to know your new intestines and become acquainted with what they tolerate more easily and what they will get upset with. Fluid will not give you the runs quicker, sugar and simple carbs AND FAT will :) But I guess you already knew that. You don't have to worry about drinking too much at once, at least, I didn't and I didn't have any troubles.
Too much fat and carbs will lead to loose BM's....simple carbs alone are not necessarily going to do that. They don't bother me in the least bit.....a little too much fat and I am oil slicking. I can hardly eat bacon anymore and I only eat the precooked COSTCO stuff which is far less greasy than uncooked bacon you fry or bake.

Latest posts

Back