I’m a klutz, or I can’t walk for shit!

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
If you have to be a klutz and fall, best place to be is at the hospital. I was there to get an MRI, my feet failed to keep up with me and down I went on both knees, both hands and an elbow.

Yes, my watch asked if I had fallen. Yes. Did I need to call 911, no. Had plenty of help. They did a Rapid Response from the ER to clean up my scraps.

But in the ensuing 2 hours, my left wrist has become miserable. So we went to the ER, I’ve had X-rays on that arm. My Orthopedic doctor works out of this building except on Thursdays. But this afternoon I will message him so he can check the X-rays for me and see if I need help. The X-rays came back saying nothing was broken.

But there IS SOFT TISSUE DAMAGE, I can see it.
When I got home, I sent a MyChart message to him about my fall so he would have a heads up to look for the X-rays. I also went ahead and made an appointment to see him and am on the wait list. His staff responded said to see what it looked like in three days and let him know. The ER gave me one pain pill with a days worth sent to my pharmacy, then the ibuprofen I’ve been living on thanks to my jaw should be sufficient.

While at the pharmacy, I picked up a wrist brace to help remind me to not be stupid. It has helped considerably. Thankfully I had taken off my wedding rings knowing I was headed into the MRI. Now, I can’t get them back on so they are sitting on my ring keeper.

Got up this morning, took off the brace for a shower and went OMG! The top of my hand is very swollen. I had Charles take a photo so I could send it to my orthopedic doctor. He might want me in much sooner than the 8th.
IMG_0548.jpeg

And only earlier I was thinking I was doing so good. Been over a year since my last fall!

That's a lot of swelling, though bruising isn't bad. Has a radiologist reviewed the x-rays? There are a lot of small bones in that area, and a subtle fracture might be missed.
The brace was brilliant! Elevate whenever possible and let Charles baby you.

If you have to be a klutz and fall
please don't call yourself names.

everybody falls, and you have risk factors such as neuropathy and previous falls.

do you do balance exercises? I'm sorry if we've had this convo and I've forgotten but a PT can teach them to you or you can just pick some off the internet.

the point is, some risk factors you can't do anything about but you can have (for example) strong ankles to better catch yourself.

I hope your wrist is just wrenched and no fracture!

That's a lot of swelling, though bruising isn't bad. Has a radiologist reviewed the x-rays? There are a lot of small bones in that area, and a subtle fracture might be missed.
The brace was brilliant! Elevate whenever possible and let Charles baby you.
The radiologist said nothing was broken, but my orthopedic doctor has access to those same X-rays cause they are in the same MyChart system. I did sent Dr. Flanagan a heads up to look for them as well as that photo this morning.

please don't call yourself names.

everybody falls, and you have risk factors such as neuropathy and previous falls.

do you do balance exercises? I'm sorry if we've had this convo and I've forgotten but a PT can teach them to you or you can just pick some off the internet.

the point is, some risk factors you can't do anything about but you can have (for example) strong ankles to better catch yourself.

I hope your wrist is just wrenched and no fracture!
I’m allowed to call myself a klutz. Charles just wants me in bubble wrap.

I have a balance board that I actually parked inside the walker I managed to get one of my most recent trips to the hospital. I use the walker as a safety measure. And I have been on it lately, but a balance board doesn’t help the type of issue I had, the soles of my shoes grabbed the floor and won’t let go. That causes me to stumble.

Back